Looking to buy 2013 Compass, what to get. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Looking to buy 2013 Compass, what to get.

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #46
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Ok yea i see the point there i should of mentioned the other two manufacturers but i think Mitsubishi is the main one in charge. My 2011 lancer had the 2.4l and cvt. I thought they were same, but they might not be.

Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #47
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I read its the same engine tuned differently
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #48
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehman26 View Post
Ok yea i see the point there i should of mentioned the other two manufacturers but i think Mitsubishi is the main one in charge. My 2011 lancer had the 2.4l and cvt. I thought they were same, but they might not be.
According to Wikipedia, the base engine block design was from Hyundai, and at some point Chrysler bought out the shares of Mitsubishi and Hyundai so that now it's all Chrysler. Either way, the base design is probably the same, but it sounds like the tuning and some specifics within the engine are different between the manufacturers... I'm not sure how comparable they are. (Not that it really matters - I just wanted to clear up that misunderstanding.)
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #49
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

No problem thanks for the info!
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #50
PC12driver
2013 MK Patriot 

I noticed that the original poster was leaning towards the freedom ll drive....

My 2013 Patriot has the Freedom Drive l and I'm very happy with it.

There is one other factor in the FD l vs ll debate which was not mentioned in this thread. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but because of the FD ll's lower final drive ratio (artificially locked in) wouldn't the engine rev at a higher RPM for a given speed on the highway than the FD l?

What should be kept in mind IMHO is that the higher revving for long periods of time would tend to drive one NUTS. I for one am glad that the 2300 rpm at 70ish mph is NOT 2800 rpm. How much time does one really spend crawling over rocks vs driving on the highway?

Just saying...
PC12driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #51
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

70 mph is actually about 3,000 rpm. 2800 will get you 65, 3200 for 75.
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #52
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Some of us go just about every weekend... and that's who FDII is for. and with the recent rain we've had in AZ. the only paved road out of my neighborhood was closed for a day as it was flooded. I took the dirt road that ends up just being a 4 mile mud pit, and yes, I did use my low range to make sure I didn't get stuck or slide off into a ditch like several other cars, and it was very helpful in getting the other cars unstuck. (my ATS tires were a huge factor as well, especially over the wrangler sra's)

I honestly don't notice the higher RPMs, I mean I probably would if I switched between a FDI and a FDII model often but I don't, also I fitted bigger tires, so my RPM's are a bit less at freeway speeds.

This was a few days after the rain:

aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #53
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I got FD2 for the extra 1" in the snow, and the 140 amp alternator.
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #54
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I've used my tow hooks more than i care to admit, and the extra water sealing around the doors is important to me too.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #55
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

I have looked at the Patriot off and on over the years. I am not sure if I'll get one but it's possible. From what I've learned there are things in the FDII package that you do not get in the all weather capability package. Better water sealing, higher mounted intake, low range, higher ride height, skid plates, etc. So I do not understand why any salesman would say you don't need FDII...just get the AWC package. That makes no sense.

If the ONLY thing on your mind as an inventory manager is fuel mileage, then you need to stop ordering Jeeps period and start ordering more Dodge Darts. If you're going to order Jeeps, then order at least some that are outfitted as a Jeep or I'm going to another dealership.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #56
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Buy what you feel you need. I have a Compass FWD Limited w 5_speed manual. I can no longer even buy that combination. I don't go off roading. I think FWD is just fine for highway, even in snow. I wanted best fuel mileage. I drive a lot. I also wanted the premium interior, especially leather and heated seats.
Money I save in fuel and not having 4WD. I can buy an ATV for off-road.

4x4 kills fuel. The FDii even more so. How far do you drive? Is it worth the sacafice. Bottom line, I drive a small SUV for utility convienence. If I could pile all my tools in a Honda Civic I'd be driving one. I can't so so I bought a FWD SUV. If I felt a car would do for me but I needed 4WD I'd buy a Subaru. I don't need that.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #57
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
I have looked at the Patriot off and on over the years. I am not sure if I'll get one but it's possible. From what I've learned there are things in the FDII package that you do not get in the all weather capability package. Better water sealing, higher mounted intake, low range, higher ride height, skid plates, etc. So I do not understand why any salesman would say you don't need FDII...just get the AWC package. That makes no sense.

If the ONLY thing on your mind as an inventory manager is fuel mileage, then you need to stop ordering Jeeps period and start ordering more Dodge Darts. If you're going to order Jeeps, then order at least some that are outfitted as a Jeep or I'm going to another dealership.
you obviously read what you wanted to read. i didn't say NOT to get the FD-II package. i said that it isn't for everyone, and many people go to it simply because they see it as an upgrade, without doing any research as to what it actually gives you and does to the jeep as a whole. however, as evidenced by this thread, the FD-II package is the right choice for some, albeit a very small percentage.

to compare the two packages i spoke of, the FD-II offroad group will give you the following options, with italics showing you what is also available in the all-weather capability group:

• 4-Wheel Drive Off-Road Mode (AWP)
• 140 Amp Alternator (BAE)
• Hill Start Assist (BNG)
• Hill Descent Control (BNH)
• Brake Lock Differential (BNL)
Tow Hooks (XEA)
• Bright Exhaust Tip (NEC)
• Engine Oil Cooler (NHA)
• Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield (XEE)
• Trans/Engine Oil Pan Skid Plate (XEP)
• Trailer Tow Wiring Harness (XEY)
All-Season Floor Mats (CLF)
• Trail Rated Badge (MT2)
• Full Size Spare Tire (TBB)
P215/65R17 OWL All Terrain Tires (TRX)

and the all-weather capability group will also gives you above and beyond italics above:

• Engine Block Heater (NHK)
• Daytime Running Headlamps, High Beam (LMK)

so the FD-II will give you a lot of the functional off-road equipment that the AWCG will not. the FD-II package will allow you more travel off-road, less gas mileage, and trail rated ability. but news flash: 99% of the people who buy the MK want a decent 4WD vehicle that gets good gas mileage! in seven years, i have had one...ONE...person say they specifically want a FD-II MK over a FD-I. now, if i can only have a dozen MKs on my lot at a time, what sense does it make to keep a FD-II sitting on the lot that will rot and make me pay floor plan interest on it? i need to stock what sells. for every FD-II jeep that sells, a hundred FD-I jeeps sell. if you're so closed minded not to be able to see that and feel that you wouldn't go to a certain dealership because they're smaller and have a specific inventory plan, i'm sorry you feel that way. but i can't afford to order something that won't sell. if you want one, i will find you one, that's not a problem. but i can't order something that will do nothing but grow lot rot. i know more about jeeps than many (but not all) people on here. i know about the packages, the features, what's underneath, their history, etc. but at the end of the day, i also need to do what's right for the company, and ordering something that very few people want over something that is extremely popular is not a smart business decision.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.