Looking to buy 2013 Compass, what to get. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Looking to buy 2013 Compass, what to get.

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #31
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Still would love to know how you manage 21 mpg city out of a fd2. How do you accelerate?
I am pretty soft on the gas, I have two kids, one of which is a baby, and I often drive in a way to keep them asleep in the back seat. I used to speed a lot, but i've slowed down with kids. Bigger tires have taken a ding so I'm probably more like 20 around town, but closer to 26 highway. I also almost never drive rush hour stop and go. i mean I stop at lights, but I rarely stop on the freeway, or have to wait for a light more than once, so i Know that helps. I also usually don't drive short trips. usually longer trips, so the engine is running longer warmed up.

aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #32
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Fd2's dont seem to last long around my area. Every time i see one come in its gone not long after.
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #33
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

same here, there was a very limited number of FDII's out there, and half the time I went to look at them, they were sold before I got there. But I made sure it was an option, that if I had gotten the FDI, I would have wished I had the FDII. my patriot is not my DD, it is the family car, and my wife is a stay at home mom, so she hardly drives anywhere. she tries to go when I'm off (I work 4 days, and have 3 days off) so we can all go together or I can watch one or both of the kids while she runs errands. so the fuel economy wasn't as big of deal.

We looked at a liberty, but the patriot was actually much more comfortable inside and easier to get car seats in and out of. I wanted a JKU, but when I put all the stuff on it I wanted, it wound up over 30k, vs the 22k I paid for my patriot. so far, 4500 miles and still very happy I got a sport with FDII. I also have the uCommand 230 with bluetooth and usb connector, which is really nice. and the power group. so all the options I wanted.
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #34
Necros

this thread got me thinking... So, if I were to go with FD2, my dealer has a nice one right now.. would it be worth waiting for a 2014? or would the '13's be pretty much the same? Like, it's still gonna be the CVT in the '14, don't really care about the shiny new doodads inside the cabin, seems like the same radio .. both have butt warmers... Seems like all the cool new '14 stuff is mostly for the normal FD1 style for the new engine... might be able to get a good deal on a '13 with the '14's coming in a couple months.
Necros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:48 AM   #35
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Pretty sure fd2 is the same
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #36
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Yup fd2 will be same except for the minor interior/exterior changes
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #37
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

yes, it is exactly the same mechanically, the 2.4l engine has the same power numbers as before, and the FDII has the cvt vs the 6 speed auto. so i would take the 13, and get a great price on it.
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #38
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

So do the Compass actually have a t-case or is everything controlled within the transmission, transaxle upfront and splits the power to the rear simliary as a t-case would? I have always been a V8 guy so how 4cyls work with their transaxles always confuses me.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #39
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
i do all of the ordering for my lot. i will not order a FD-II for our inventory period. when i only have a dozen MKs on the lot total, i need to have what sells, and the FD-II doesn't sell. it costs more, increases the off-road capability marginally, and gets you the same gas mileage as a V6 grand cherokee which is twice the size. doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. most of my customers (and myself included) buy the MKs for gas mileage, so i won't order them with an option to sacrifice that mileage.
To me that is bad business. If I go to a lot and they will not order what I want, I am going some where else and you have lost a customer for life. And people wonder why the car industry is failing.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

Unread 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #40
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeJokee View Post
So do the Compass actually have a t-case or is everything controlled within the transmission, transaxle upfront and splits the power to the rear simliary as a t-case would? I have always been a V8 guy so how 4cyls work with their transaxles always confuses me.
there is no tcase, controlled with the transmission, clutch plates, and computers. it is a lot more seamless than using a tcase, and more effective with the power a 4 cyl puts out, less drive train loss.
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #41
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
To me that is bad business. If I go to a lot and they will not order what I want, I am going some where else and you have lost a customer for life. And people wonder why the car industry is failing.
i did not say i won't get you what you want, i said i won't order it for dealer inventory. you need to understand, i have all four chrysler brands on my lot, and only 150 cars. that's dodge, chrysler, jeep, and ram. i need to represent the ENTIRE lineup in 150 cars. that is hard to do, so i order what sells. i can't afford to have a car sit on the lot forever. if someone wants a FD-II (and in 6 years, i have never had someone walk in and say "i must have FD-II), then i will find them one and have it brought in. what i said and what you interpreted are two entirely different things.

please read carefully next time before being so cavalier in accusing my inventory management as the reason the car industry is failing.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #42
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

I am not accusing you of any thing. The way you worded it made it sound like you would not order one period. Either way the more I read about the Compass, or and other newer jeep period, the more I am shying away from them.

Unread 01-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #43
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I walked in to two dealers and asked specifically for a FD2. One of them, the only Patriot on the lot was FD2, and the other dealer, who's employees and service were way better, only had 4 Sports with no FD2. I ended up buying from the crappy dealer that had one.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #44
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I am not accusing you of any thing. The way you worded it made it sound like you would not order one period. Either way the more I read about the Compass, or and other newer jeep period, the more I am shying away from them.
To each their own, for me, my patriot fit the bill more perfectly than any other vehicle in my price range. The mk range provides a capable comfortable reliable vehicle that is a lot of bang for the buck.

You said you would be getting it for your wife, I don't think she would be disappointed in it and happy wife, happy life! Only other vehicle in its category I would have recommended would be a grand vitara, if you get a limited it is rear wheel drive with a real tcase. Suzuki is out of the us market, but you can find them used. And they are nice and what I cross shopped my patriot against, I got the patriot for a lot less money so that swayed my decision by a lot. And I didn't want leather and a lot of the features in the gv so didn't want to pay for them.
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #45
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehman26 View Post
Not sure why you getting crazy everyone has there own opinion. In my opinion fd2 is better and worth the couple miles a gallon difference. The OP said about being interested in offroad, hence why i said get fd2.
I think IRSmart was specifically referring to your comment about how Mitsubishi makes the engine. (Which wasn't totally off, but the engine is from the Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance - Mitsubishi is a part of it, as are Chrysler and Hyundai. I don't believe the engine in the Compass is the same as is used in Lancers.)

The Compass is a good crossover vehicle. People may not buy Wranglers or Grand Cherokees for their fuel efficiency, but I went with the Compass for the fuel efficiency and rough weather capabilities. It hasn't let me down yet in either of those two areas. If Jeep can make a version that is even more fuel efficient, I'd be delighted. As far as I'm concerned, the only two automakers with decent four wheel capabilities are Jeep and Subaru - and of course, Subaru's isn't 4x4 but AWD, so Jeep wins there.

I wouldn't buy a Compass for anything more than extremely light off-roading, but I have very limited off-roading experience. If I had to do it again, I'd happily buy another Compass for me or my wife. It's a small SUV with a lot of interior space, it gets decent gas mileage, and has capable rough weather handling... even without considering cost, is there really anything else out there on the market that can compare?
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.