Looking to buy 2013 Compass, what to get. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Looking to buy 2013 Compass, what to get.

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #16
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Why would you keep it in low in snow??? That limits you to like 10 mph.

FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
Wmillonig
2012 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeJokee View Post
I would like to be able to take it off road, not just dirt and gravel roads. Some of the places when go kayaking at is pretty rough and a lot of off camber situations. My Wj can handle it no problem but a regular car or a small suv like the compass might have a problem. My wife is only 5'5 but has no problem getting out of my ZJ with 33s so Im sure the Compass would be no problem.
Aha. Sounds like you have a great plan, look forward to seeing some pictures!
Wmillonig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeJokee
I would like to be able to take it off road, not just dirt and gravel roads. Some of the places when go kayaking at is pretty rough and a lot of off camber situations. My Wj can handle it no problem but a regular car or a small suv like the compass might have a problem. My wife is only 5'5 but has no problem getting out of my ZJ with 33s so Im sure the Compass would be no problem.
Pics of wife?

/standard forum response
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Both FDI and FDII can "lock" the 4wd in at low speeds. It is an awd system vs a traditional 4wd system. so the 4wd lock just is telling the computer to send power in a 50/50 split under 30mph it is no rock crawler, but it is decent off road. went out a week ago with a bunch of wranglers who thought they would take the hard trail and leave me behind. I had no issues as long as I carefully picked where I was putting my tires.

They both have the same ride hight as well for models that are 2011 and newer.

where they differ is the off road capability. the FDII gives you a lower final drive, so a lower gear ratio, which means higher RPMs at any given speed, which means more power. Locking it into low keeps the CVT in lower ratios, with the lower final drive, gives you a lot more power for crawling over things. along with that, the Brake lock differential, and the hill decent control make it pretty mean for a cross over. and the skid plates and tow hooks I think are a nessesity if considering any off roading. a lot of trips I've gone on they wouldn't let me come with out those items. I have 30" ties on, and they are pushing it, most places require 31's, but have allowed me to go anyways.

so if you are looking for city driving 4x2, snow and some light dirt trails FDI, any kind of decent off roading where you're likely to get 1 tire in the air, and climb steep grades, go over rocks, etc. FDII.

OP mentioned that he was going to do some decent off roading "have a decent offroad drive train and decent MPG". I get anywhere from 21-25 mpg's city/highway with FDII. I've gotten as low as 16 when going off roading, but that includes A LOT of idling, and a lot of low speed crawling in "L" with 4wd lock... if you are getting that in normal driving I would be worried that there is something not quite right.

the 2.4 engine is their world engine, and is used by several manafactuers, and is quite reliable, as well as the cvt. so I wouldn't worry about drive train. Interior is on par for vehicles in its price range, and is comfortable enough, not nearly as comfortable as the saab the jeep replaced, but decent for long drives, especially with the more upright sitting position. I have the seat hight adjusters, and I've lifted mine up quite a bit so its more like sitting in a chair vs leaning back, which is better for your back (and leaves more room for car seats in the back).
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Not sure why you getting crazy everyone has there own opinion. In my opinion fd2 is better and worth the couple miles a gallon difference. The OP said about being interested in offroad, hence why i said get fd2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post

this isn't even close to being true.

OP, when looking at the different packages, you will see a lot of people say "get FD-II! get FD-II! get FD-II!" they want a loaded up jeep, or they want to pretend like they can go offroad. then in 3 months you're going to be back here complaining about the fuel mileage. the FD-II is worthless for most people, because most people don't buy an MK for the purposes of going offroad. the FD-I is a much more popular option, and will net you much better fuel economy. if you want all the goodies that go along with the FD-II package other than the piss-poor fuel mileage, you can opt for the all-weather capability group. that will give you everything except for the different transfer case.
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #21
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles
Both FDI and FDII can "lock" the 4wd in at low speeds. It is an awd system vs a traditional 4wd system. so the 4wd lock just is telling the computer to send power in a 50/50 split under 30mph it is no rock crawler, but it is decent off road. went out a week ago with a bunch of wranglers who thought they would take the hard trail and leave me behind. I had no issues as long as I carefully picked where I was putting my tires.

They both have the same ride hight as well for models that are 2011 and newer.

where they differ is the off road capability. the FDII gives you a lower final drive, so a lower gear ratio, which means higher RPMs at any given speed, which means more power. Locking it into low keeps the CVT in lower ratios, with the lower final drive, gives you a lot more power for crawling over things. along with that, the Brake lock differential, and the hill decent control make it pretty mean for a cross over. and the skid plates and tow hooks I think are a nessesity if considering any off roading. a lot of trips I've gone on they wouldn't let me come with out those items. I have 30" ties on, and they are pushing it, most places require 31's, but have allowed me to go anyways.

so if you are looking for city driving 4x2, snow and some light dirt trails FDI, any kind of decent off roading where you're likely to get 1 tire in the air, and climb steep grades, go over rocks, etc. FDII.

OP mentioned that he was going to do some decent off roading "have a decent offroad drive train and decent MPG". I get anywhere from 21-25 mpg's city/highway with FDII. I've gotten as low as 16 when going off roading, but that includes A LOT of idling, and a lot of low speed crawling in "L" with 4wd lock... if you are getting that in normal driving I would be worried that there is something not quite right.

the 2.4 engine is their world engine, and is used by several manafactuers, and is quite reliable, as well as the cvt. so I wouldn't worry about drive train. Interior is on par for vehicles in its price range, and is comfortable enough, not nearly as comfortable as the saab the jeep replaced, but decent for long drives, especially with the more upright sitting position. I have the seat hight adjusters, and I've lifted mine up quite a bit so its more like sitting in a chair vs leaning back, which is better for your back (and leaves more room for car seats in the back).
Still would love to know how you manage 21 mpg city out of a fd2. How do you accelerate?
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #22
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles
This is incorrect. The 4wd can be engaged at any speed on the fly.

image-3871680204.jpg

That was a major selling point for me. It can be both AWD and 4WD anytime I want.
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #23
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

I manage to get around 20 city with mine and i drive it normal. I even drive alot of uphill on commute to work. Usually revving no higher then 3500 rpm, and if on highway usually keep it around 63.
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeJokee View Post
I would like to have some offroad capabilities. It does carry the Jeep name so.... As long as it will avg 18 or better I will be happy. I can sacrifice a few mpgs for a better t-case. My wife and I do a lot of kayaking, mountain biking, and camping and would like to be able to get off the beaten path a little with it, still got my WJ or ZJ if I really want to go offroading. I definitely want a good awd option for my wife since she is not use to driving in the snow like I am from being raised in the midwest. She is a southern girl and has very limited experience in the snow. I love how both of my Grand Cherokees drive in the snow with the awd option and I am hoping the compass is the same. What is the exact difference in the FDI and FDII in real world applications? From first hand experience, not what jeep.com says.
the FD-II has nothing to do with a "better" transfer case. the transmission locks itself into a low range simulating a 4WD low range from a transfer case. i'm not trying to talk you out of it, but several people who are unhappy with the MK have the FD-II package.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehman26
I manage to get around 20 city with mine and i drive it normal. I even drive alot of uphill on commute to work. Usually revving no higher then 3500 rpm, and if on highway usually keep it around 63.
That's interesting. My 17 city happens when I keep the rpm at 2000 or lower. You think I would get better mileage reving higher/accelerating faster? I feel like I've tried that already. I was thinking reving high during that first range up to 20 mph, then when it drops on its own, let off the gas along with it.

Still im surprised you get better mpg reving 3500 than I do at 2000.
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #26
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Revving to 3500 is only when im going up hills got two big ones on drive to work . On normal elevation im usually around 2000 rpm. Maybe i just got lucky so far, but i hope i keep getting same mpg's. Only have 2900 miles on it so i was hoping maybe it would improve alil.
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #27
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehman26 View Post
Not sure why you getting crazy everyone has there own opinion. In my opinion fd2 is better and worth the couple miles a gallon difference. The OP said about being interested in offroad, hence why i said get fd2.
i realize everyone has their own opinion, and they're entitled to it. "better" is also an opinionated term. the FD-II has a transmission which simulates a low range of a transfer case. the FD-I package is more than capable off-road, and you can still get all the body "goodies" (skid plates, tow hooks, etc) with the all-weather capability group. i'm not telling anyone what to do, but he needs to understand both the positives AND negatives before making his decision.

OP, something else to consider is that for every FD-II MK out there, you will find at least 30 FD-I models. the FD-II will severely limit the amount of vehicles you have to consider, especially as far south as you are.
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #28
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

I agree with that...and yes fd2 will be much harder to find. When i was looking for mine it was 1 of 2 in a 50 mile radius and there's a ton of jeep dealers in my area.
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #29
Necros

One of the reasons I decided against FD2 was availability. But I'm one of those noobs that thinks "OMG I need 4WD for snow!!" so I was looking for just FD2 at first and just found a lot of disappointment. My local dealer has one latitude with it, but not the other options I want. I asked about a limited and he said he found 1 in new york somewhere. I don't remember seeing anything with any kind of winter package though. But I'm just gonna wait for 2014's in march now and see what I can get.
Necros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #30
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

i do all of the ordering for my lot. i will not order a FD-II for our inventory period. when i only have a dozen MKs on the lot total, i need to have what sells, and the FD-II doesn't sell. it costs more, increases the off-road capability marginally, and gets you the same gas mileage as a V6 grand cherokee which is twice the size. doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. most of my customers (and myself included) buy the MKs for gas mileage, so i won't order them with an option to sacrifice that mileage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.