Looking at the 08 Compass Limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Looking at the 08 Compass Limited

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
slimjeep

Looking at the 08 Compass Limited

Hey guys my wife is wanting to get a Jeep with better MPG. So we are looking into a 08 Compass Limited. I test drove the Compass and have a couple of questions. First I know that the Jeep only has a 2.4L-4Cyl engine but it seemed like it was pretty loud. On top of that the transmission seemed very strange. Seemed to take it's sweet time shifting. It would get to that point where it wanted to shift so I would keep the gas peddle right where it was waiting for the shift and about 10 sec later it would finally shift. Is this normal for this jeep? What do you guys think about the jeep? Does any one have the 5 speed manual and if so what do you think about it?

33X10.5 BFG MT Tires

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4
slimjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Hi and welcome!

Some of the 2.4 are noisier than others, I haven't a clue as to why. Mines quite, the wife and neighbors never know when I come and go. Reducing engine noise is one of the improvements that they are coming out with in '09.

The CVT is different, it puts you in the right ratio for the speed that you are trying to maintain or achieve by determining throttle pressure vs rpm vs ratio vs output to optimize mpg.

Your best mileage will come from the 2WD 5 speed, then it appears to be a toss up between the 4WD 5 Speed and 2WD CVT and last is the 4WD CVT. Average is about 28-30 mpg tops and 23-24 mpg on the lower end. Some have perfected gas savings techniques better than others.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Tuksonrider
2008 MK Patriot 

I have the 5-spd manual. I test drove both, and the CVT did seem that it couldn't make up it's mind to up shift. It resulted in a bit louder engine noise through higher rpm.

I really liked the manual when I tried it. I think it really makes the ride much more enjoyable.

Still, at above 70mph on the manual tranny, the engine noise is still a bit excessive.
Tuksonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

I got an 08 Rallye Sport, 5 spd, 2WD. Yes, my engine is abit noisey, and lacking in power- but the 5 spd gives it good pep for a 4 banger and the shifting issues with the CVT will not be a problem. I consistently get 24 in town and 28-30 on the highway...
Overall, very good vehicle and unlike other deals, Jeep dealers seem to be willing to deal.
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
slimjeep

thanks for all the info guys will keep my eye out for the manual so I can test drive that.
33X10.5 BFG MT Tires

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4
slimjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.