Long Term Reliability? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Long Term Reliability?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Necros

Long Term Reliability?

Just curious.. planning on getting a 2014 compass ... just wondering what some of you long term compass and patriot owners think of your car after like 5+ years? How many miles do you have? Any major issues along the way? I know the new ones will be different than the old ones in a lot of ways, but just wondering what some of you think of your compass after a lot of years. Do you want to keep it even longer or get rid of it soon?

Necros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Our '08 Compass Sport has been very reliable since we bought it new in the fall of '07. Mileage is admittedly on the low side (28,000), but we live in an area with a lot of snow and potholed roads. We had to replace the lower control arms a year or so ago, mainly because the ball joints were integral, and worn out from the rough roads, and that was a common issue with that model year. It now rides as tight and quiet as when it was new. No other issues. It's my wife's daily driver, and she just loves it. We'd both recommend a compass, great little vehicle. Still looks like new when we shine it up.
100_1941.jpg  
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The patriot/compass have a great reliability rating, and issues found on earlier models is not found on later models. The ball joints on the front seem to wear prematurely (25-50k miles) on a lot of them, but the replacements are not expensive, easy to replace, and are actually higher quality than OEM.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Yes balljoints were a problem. It was one of their most common problems. It was shotty equipmen not on Chrysler, but one their parts suppliers. Chrysler doesn't make the suspension components. The newer ones come from a diffenrent maker than the early model parts did.

I have posted many times here. I have a FWD Compass Limited with a 5-speed manual transmission. As of right now 214k mi. I had ball joints and wheel bearing replaced. Other than that mostly normal. I did have to replace the Thottle position sensor. Another repair was a new intake manifold. Most serious expensive fix was about $485 at the dealer. Somewhere under my posts is pictures in the sticky section. One showing odometer at 200k.
Being a manual I have only ever replaced the brakes once since new. Still to this day I average better than window sticker fuel mileage. Average at this minute, 30.2 MPG. I just looked! Seldom ever average less than 29.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I'd be happy with mine if it had 2 things. A real Automatic tranny, and if they could figure out why my drivers seat makes such a ruckus. Squeaky and loose. Drives me nuts.

2011 patriot w/16,000
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
jacko15
2014 WK 

I'd like to add, even though the cvt tranny in our '08 Compass is great once you get used to it, many people don't like it's driving characteristics. That's a non-issue in the '14 Compass, as it has a 6 speed gearbox.
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15
I'd like to add, even though the cvt tranny in our '08 Compass is great once you get used to it, many people don't like it's (poor) driving characteristics. That's a non-issue in the '14 Compass, as it has a 6 speed gearbox.
Fixed
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
jacko15
2014 WK 

Actually, we don't think it's "poor", just different. In fact, my wife loves the way it handles, especially the enhanced engine braking. But that is purely subjective, and something each individual must decide for themselves. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. (By the way, I don't think it's quite kosher to change someones words in a quote, but no offense taken.)
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

^I learned forum ettiquette on an Off-Topic forum where everybody just makes fun of each other...but not really.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.