Load leveling hitch for a patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Load leveling hitch for a patriot

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 03-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Ron_Eh

Load leveling hitch for a patriot

I am looking at installing a class 3 hitch on my 08 patriot. Can I use a load leveling hitch for the trailer to jeep?

Ron_Eh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
CompRuss
2007 MK Compass 

Are you really going to be pulling any thing that heavy. I just put a hitch on my compass and have no sag with a loaded trailer. If your going to tow a lot you should upgrade to an oil cooler. But to answer your question I don't see why not.
CompRuss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
nick13bat
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Isn't the patriot only rated for a class 1 hitch??
nick13bat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
JeepCares

This was taken from the Owner's Manual:
Trailer Hitch Classification
The following chart provides the industry standard for
the maximum trailer weight a given trailer hitch class can
tow and should be used to assist you in selecting the
correct trailer hitch for your intended towing condition.
Trailer Hitch Classification Definitions
Class Max. Trailer Hitch Industry
Standards
Class I - Light Duty 2,000 lbs
Class II – Medium Duty 3,500 lbs
Class III - Heavy Duty 5,000 lbs

Trailer Towing Weights
The following provides the maximum trailer weight ratings towable for a given drivetrain.
Engine/Transmission GTW (Gross Trailer Wt.)
2.4L Auto/Man 1000 lbs
2.4L Auto/Man with Trailer Tow Prep Package (AHC) 2000 lbs
Unread 03-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

But what if your Patriot/Compass is neither an automatic or manual??
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
nick13bat
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My point exactly the max towing capacity of the patriot is 2000lbs which means you only can put a class one hitch on it you cannot put a class three hitch on it. Well you could but that would be a waste
Unread 03-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick13bat View Post
My point exactly the max towing capacity of the patriot is 2000lbs which means you only can put a class one hitch on it you cannot put a class three hitch on it. Well you could but that would be a waste
No, it isn't a waste at all. I actually installed a Class III hitch for a couple reasons.

( Oh, and incidentally, the Patriot has a 3000lbs max towing capacity over seas. Same vehicle other than the available diesel engine. The Patriot can handle a bit more than the 2000lbs body wise. The weak area is the drivetrain. )

1 - I wanted a 2" receiver opening vs the 1.25" on the MOPAR one and other Class I/II hitches.

2 - It increases your tongue weight from a pathetic 100-150lbs to 350lbs.

I tow a duck hunting boat that is somewhere in the 1500-1700lbs range. I definitely would not attempt to tow over 2000lbs with my 2011( 2.4L CVT w/ OC ). However, I much prefer the heavier Class III hitch with it's increased tongue weight and 2" receiver opening.

I am actually really, REALLY glad I went with an aftermarket Class III on my Patriot vs the MOPAR Class I hitch. I had an axle failure on my duck boat trailer this past fall and thank god I had a heavier hitch on there. If I had that Class I MOPAR hitch I really feel damage to the vehicle would have resulted when the axle snapped and the trailer crashed to the road as I was driving.

If you don't tow much a Class I or II hitch is fine but if you tow a lot or will push the max capacity of the Patriot to me a Class III is a no brainer. You also have more accessory options with a 2" receiver opening as well which appeals to may folks.

My 2011 w/ Reese Class III:

My Patriot with my Duck rig( and NEW trailer ):

Glad I had a Class III when this happened:

Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
But what if your Patriot/Compass is neither an automatic or manual??
Then it isn't driveable because it doesn't have a transmission so how much it can tow and what class hitch to use doesn't matter.
Active Drive I
Unread 03-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Eh View Post
I am looking at installing a class 3 hitch on my 08 patriot. Can I use a load leveling hitch for the trailer to jeep?

Yes, you can install a Class III hitch as I said above. However, as has been pointed out the Patriot has a 2000lbs max towing capacity( in the US anyway - 3000 over seas people have told me ). To be able to tow the 2000lbs you need to be sure you have the oil cooler( not trans cooler - engine oil cooler ). If you don't have it your max towing capacity is 1000lbs( US ).

After towing my duck boat all last season ( 1500-1700lbs )I definitely would not want to tow over 2000lbs with it. Maybe the over seas diesel engine has a bit more grunt and can haul more but for the 2.4L 2000 is MAX for it legitimately. I wouldn't even consider 2000 with the 2.0L gas engine.

Not sure what you are thinking of towing that requires load levelers that would fall within the max tow capacity of the vehicle? Keep that max tow capacity in mind before doing anything.
Active Drive I
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #10
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT

Then it isn't driveable because it doesn't have a transmission so how much it can tow and what class hitch to use doesn't matter.
That was a CVT joke...
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
nick13bat
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT

No, it isn't a waste at all. I actually installed a Class III hitch for a couple reasons.

( Oh, and incidentally, the Patriot has a 3000lbs max towing capacity over seas. Same vehicle other than the available diesel engine. The Patriot can handle a bit more than the 2000lbs body wise. The weak area is the drivetrain. )

1 - I wanted a 2" receiver opening vs the 1.25" on the MOPAR one and other Class I/II hitches.

2 - It increases your tongue weight from a pathetic 100-150lbs to 350lbs.

I tow a duck hunting boat that is somewhere in the 1500-1700lbs range. I definitely would not attempt to tow over 2000lbs with my 2011( 2.4L CVT w/ OC ). However, I much prefer the heavier Class III hitch with it's increased tongue weight and 2" receiver opening.

I am actually really, REALLY glad I went with an aftermarket Class III on my Patriot vs the MOPAR Class I hitch. I had an axle failure on my duck boat trailer this past fall and thank god I had a heavier hitch on there. If I had that Class I MOPAR hitch I really feel damage to the vehicle would have resulted when the axle snapped and the trailer crashed to the road as I was driving.

If you don't tow much a Class I or II hitch is fine but if you tow a lot or will push the max capacity of the Patriot to me a Class III is a no brainer. You also have more accessory options with a 2" receiver opening as well which appeals to may folks.

My 2011 w/ Reese Class III:

My Patriot with my Duck rig( and NEW trailer ):

Glad I had a Class III when this happened:
I was wondering why you were talking about putting a class three hitch on. That makes sense. I'm looking for options since I hunt as well. I wanna get one of those flat cargo things so I don't have to put my deer inside my nice new patriot. Plus I'll eventually be getting a small trailer for my model airplanes. Thanks for the info.
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
That was a CVT joke...
he knew that, he just made one that was much funnier. the CVT is a type of automatic transmission.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
Ron_Eh

Thanks guys. I had a class 3 hitch & I plan on towing a travel trailer that comes in around 2200 lbs loaded. The patriot has the tow package from the factory. I plan on going slow & steady with it. I wanted peace of mind for the tounge weight & electric breaks on the trailer. The load leveling part cannot be installed I have been told because of the way the hitch mounts to the frame, on the side vice the top or bottom. Thanks again all.
Ron_Eh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
Bikeman
2014 MK Patriot 

On Class 3 hitch for lil bitty Patriot.

Quote:
That was a CVT joke...
It's not a TOTAL waste of $ placing a Class 3 hitch on the lil Patriot, it does fulfill its ability to carry a 300 lb tongue weight which a class 1 cannot do and a class 2 can kinda sorta maybe cross your fingers may do. As far as towing it will not increase what the patriot can tow. However... Hitches are not just for towing guys! I carry 4 rather heavy bikes on a heavy bike rack on that class 3 hitch, bikes are around 55 lbs each and bike rack is heavy as well. Although i'm not towing anything I am glad that the C3 hitch is back there and not trusting Chrysler's standard class 1. Do keep in mind though that the Patriot is the wee lil brother of the Jeep family and isn't out there to try and trailer real heavy stuff even with the c3 hitch. Also, not that its too significant, my Patriot is the "Trail rated" ver with added cooler and 4*4 F2, this adds a tiny lil bit more capability. Still, even with the bikes, I try to be careful ever aware that this is NOT a "real" off-road vehicle and I treat it nicely.
Bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

i'm fairly certain Chrysler's OEM hitch is a class 2, which would make it a 3,500 lb weight rating with a minimum 350 lb tongue weight. I too have a 4 bike thule rack that I leave permanently installed on my jeep, and it has never given me issues, outside of the installation itself (the mounting pin was the length of a 3" receiver, so getting it around the wiring harness was an issue).
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.