Lifted patriot or Renegade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-18-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
phazelag

Lifted patriot or Renegade

I am going to be buying a new or used jeep over the summer. I love wranglers but they are not practical for a daily driver and I need easy access storage.

I am extremely fond of the Renegade and will likely go that route, but the patriot body style reminds me of the older Cherokees and those are my favorite jeeps.

I think if I could find a patriot with the freedom Drive II option and added a small lift and larger tires I would be a happy camper.

I am wondering if the overall off road performance of the renegade trailhawk edition would be better than a lifted patriot?

I guess I am asking is what considerations mechanically should I think about?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-19-2015, 12:29 AM
Tyler-98-W68
2012 MK Compass 

From the videos I've watched online, and the extensive offroad experience I have with FDII MK's (FDII 08 Patriot for 4 years, my 2012 FDII Compass 3+ years) the FDII Patriot's and Compass are no worse than the new renegades, and can be bought cheaper. Not to mention at this time there is no lift kit for the renegades. It comes down to preference, pricing wise I find the renegade too much money for what you get. Grab a patriot or compass lift it and toss on some 15 wheels like I did and have a blast.

RRO Lift + Winch Bumper + Smitybuilt XRC8 Winch
235/75/15 Wrangler Territory
And more!
post #3 of 14 Old 04-19-2015, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
phazelag

Tyler those wheels look nice, what size are the tires? Also do you have any rubbing on the body or handling issues with the lift and tires?
post #4 of 14 Old 04-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Tyler-98-W68
2012 MK Compass 

235/75/15 MB Chaos 5 Wheels, there is only a select few wheels that are 15" that will clear the brake calipers on MK's. No handling issues with the lift or tires. Zero rubbing. I have gotten rid of the pinch weld in the front wheel wells, however that was because I used to run larger diameter tires that what I run now. With a stock FDII and no lift the tire combination I have now should work with no issues.

And more!
post #5 of 14 Old 04-21-2015, 09:06 AM
aroundincircles
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

you can pick up a NEW fdII patriot for almost $10k less than a new renegade trailhawk...

That's a no brainer for me.
http://www.tempechryslerjeepdodge.ne...333808c59b.htm
http://www.earnhardtcjd.com/new/Jeep...718cf8e84b.htm
post #6 of 14 Old 04-21-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
phazelag

That deal is awesome but I haven't seen pricing that low in California.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-26-2015, 06:59 AM
thorton0

I would definitely go with a patriot over a renegade. but being the trailhawk I assume it would have a rear locker, maybe other 4x4 goodies that you cant get on a patriot.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-26-2015, 07:08 AM
PatyWagon
2015 JK Wrangler 

Depending on what you want for capability, the Patriot has some really substantial rebates. We got a great deal on our FD II. Altho we aren't anticipating off road trails, we opted for the FD II, why not have the gear if you can. The trail rated badge and equipment will take us into any Jeep sponsored Jamboree. Good luck on your choice, what a great problem, deciding on what jeep to get~

Sent from my 2015 FDII PATRIOT using JeepForum
post #9 of 14 Old 04-26-2015, 07:47 AM
Tyler-98-W68
2012 MK Compass 

The renegade does not have a rear locker.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-26-2015, 07:49 AM
PatyWagon
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
The renegade does not have a rear locker.
Neither does the Patriot, not a true locker anyway, that's Rubicon wrangler territory.

Sent from my 2015 FDII PATRIOT using JeepForum
post #11 of 14 Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Tyler-98-W68
2012 MK Compass 

The renegade trailhawk and fdii patriots are almost identical in offroad capability. Renegade has 20:1 crawl ratio fdii is 19:1 renegade had a bit more power but is a bit heavier. From the videos I've seen they aren't any better offroad than patriots.

And more!
post #12 of 14 Old 04-27-2015, 11:50 AM
PatyWagon
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
The renegade trailhawk and fdii patriots are almost identical in offroad capability. Renegade has 20:1 crawl ratio fdii is 19:1 renegade had a bit more power but is a bit heavier. From the videos I've seen they aren't any better offroad than patriots.
This is why the Patriot is a deal, dealers slashing prices right and left to make room for renegades. Not unheard of to get $5k or more off.

Sent from my DD 2015 FDII PATRIOT using JeepForum
post #13 of 14 Old 04-28-2015, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
phazelag

No the Renegade doesn't have a rear locker but it has an all new 4wD system that can place 100% torque on any wheel and has throttle mapping to the type of terrain.

With a 2.4 and what I will use it for the system seems pretty solid. I won't need a true locker unless I am doing serious rock climbing and that would be in a wrangler. I drove one today and the overall feel was much nicer than a patriot. Rode smoother and turned nicer. The interior is also much nicer. I didn't drive a trail hawk but it will be taller and maybe a bit more harsh. But they did some cool stuff with the renegade. I predict they sell like hot cakes.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-28-2015, 03:20 AM
PatyWagon
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazelag View Post
No the Renegade doesn't have a rear locker but it has an all new 4wD system that can place 100% torque on any wheel and has throttle mapping to the type of terrain.

With a 2.4 and what I will use it for the system seems pretty solid. I won't need a true locker unless I am doing serious rock climbing and that would be in a wrangler. I drove one today and the overall feel was much nicer than a patriot. Rode smoother and turned nicer. The interior is also much nicer. I didn't drive a trail hawk but it will be taller and maybe a bit more harsh. But they did some cool stuff with the renegade. I predict they sell like hot cakes.
We looked at one but dealer didn't have any w 4wd. They are unique and comfortable, small size will help with trails for sure.

Sent from my DD 2015 FDII PATRIOT using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.