Lift vs mpg - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Lift vs mpg

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
General_Jeep
1994 ZJ 

Lift vs mpg

hows the mpg on that lifted compass? I was planing on running some bigger tire..

2005 Nissan Titan - Hauler

"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari
General_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Speedo calibrated for 28" tires (the best they can do) and I'm running 29.1" tires so everything gets a 1.04 multiplier. The speedo says 57.7 and I'm actually doing 60, just something to keep in mind.

Right now the EVIC says about 23.4 mpg (x 1.04) actual mpg = 24.3. I can accept that. The kids just took it on a day trip and got 24.2 (x 1.04) = 25.16. If the EVIC is reading 25mpg then it's an even 26mpg.

Odometer reads 67,366, installed tires and lift at about 30K, actual miles about 68,860.

TMI? It's a psychological thing on the math. Just keep in mind that your doing a little better than what the EVIC tells you but comparing it to stock I consider it rather negligible one way or the other.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
General_Jeep
1994 ZJ 

Alright thank you for that info. I am going to install my lift after my warranty expires. After that the moding bug will start.

Unread 10-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Burtonrocks
2007 MK Compass 

Any recommendations on where do buy a lift kit for my 07 compass? Does someone make a kit I can buy?
Burtonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
General_Jeep
1994 ZJ 

http://www.rocky-road.com/patriotsus.html

These guys make a 2 1/8th lift for compass's and patriot's.

Unread 10-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Speedo calibrated for 28" tires (the best they can do) and I'm running 29.1" tires so everything gets a 1.04 multiplier. The speedo says 57.7 and I'm actually doing 60, just something to keep in mind.

Right now the EVIC says about 23.4 mpg (x 1.04) actual mpg = 24.3. I can accept that. The kids just took it on a day trip and got 24.2 (x 1.04) = 25.16. If the EVIC is reading 25mpg then it's an even 26mpg.

Odometer reads 67,366, installed tires and lift at about 30K, actual miles about 68,860.

TMI? It's a psychological thing on the math. Just keep in mind that your doing a little better than what the EVIC tells you but comparing it to stock I consider it rather negligible one way or the other.
I would double check getting the speedo calibrated. Maybe on the Patriot/Compass it can't be done but I know on my Ram's if you gave the dealer the tire size, overall diameter( can vary within same tire size ), and then the revolutions p/ mile rate they could adjust the speedo using their scan tool for tires other than stock/stock options.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

On the MK's, when I had mine done, they could only program it to the factory options, things may have changed. At the time I had mine done they could program the other Jeeps and Rams with many more tire sizes than stock. It never hurts to ask. It may have been the guy running the equipment too but others have ran into this too so I don't think so.

My lift is still doing fine btw. The EVIC says 23+ mpg so by the time I calculate the tire size error I'm up around 24, Good road, not freeway and not in town either. I still have another winter to go with my Kumho tires before I need new ones too.

Unread 11-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
1SlowStang

This all sounds complicated lol. I'm happy I read this AFTER I asked the same thing in a different thread. I'm kinda slow some days haha
1SlowStang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
patriot2009bk
2009 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
On the MK's, when I had mine done, they could only program it to the factory options, things may have changed. At the time I had mine done they could program the other Jeeps and Rams with many more tire sizes than stock. It never hurts to ask. It may have been the guy running the equipment too but others have ran into this too so I don't think so.

My lift is still doing fine btw. The EVIC says 23+ mpg so by the time I calculate the tire size error I'm up around 24, Good road, not freeway and not in town either. I still have another winter to go with my Kumho tires before I need new ones too.
So... Hypothetically.. a bigger tire helps make better mpg?
patriot2009bk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot2009bk View Post
So... Hypothetically.. a bigger tire helps make better mpg?
In thoery but in reality you loose alot due to the extra weight of the tire and lost torque since you raised the final drive ratio.

For every 1lbs of added rotational weight is like adding 10lbs total vehicle weight.Doesn't sound like much but it adds up quickly and the lost torque compounds it unless you regear(which you can't) or add power to the engine.
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
In theory but in reality you loose a lot due to the extra weight of the tire and lost torque since you raised the final drive ratio.

For every 1lbs of added rotational weight is like adding 10lbs total vehicle weight.Doesn't sound like much but it adds up quickly and the lost torque compounds it unless you re-gear(which you can't) or add power to the engine.
Changing from the Factory Firehawks to the Kumho I gained 6 lbs per tire and lost low end. This is most noticeable in town and would be noticed off-roading too. On the freeway you may see an increase because 'an object in motion tends to stay in motion'. The in town constant acceleration/deceleration kills gas mpg regardless. As far as it being 'a lot' that is very subjective since on the MK's there isn't much room to play with but it will make a difference. The tread pattern will also affect mpg. Generally speaking an off-road tire has more rolling resistance than a highway tire. In tests a bald tire will get better mpg but I don't recommend them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.