Lifetime warranty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Lifetime warranty?

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 08-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
udmover
2011 WK 

Lifetime warranty?

Looking at new jeeps on the website it looks like you can add a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on new models- for a $3000 approximate cost. Is this really true? Would they really offer such a thing? I think they call it "maximum care".

udmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

yes, the maxcare warranty is very popular. everything is covered for the life of your loan.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yeah that lifetime thing is a joke,better read the fine print as there not going to replace the engine when it goes with 200k on it as it's due to normal wear and tear which is not covered.
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
yes, the maxcare warranty is very popular. everything is covered for the life of your loan.
I have the Lifetime Added Care Plus service Contract, and it isn't the life of the loan, it's the life of the car. I just read through all 12 pages of contract (that were mailed to me AFTER the purchase), and there's nothing in it limiting the contract to the duration of the loan. It also specifies wear parts that aren't covered. Clutches, Brake Pads, Rotors, Drums and Tires.

Also of interest...and I literally just found this out, the Contract can be cancelled and refunded up to 7 years and/or 100,000 miles after purchase of the contract. If you do, they will refund you on a pro-rate basis and minus any costs of repairs you actually used it for. So lets say you bought it last year for $3,200, and you regret it or (gasp) trust the car will never break, you can cancel it and get your $3,200 back, minus 1 years coverage...or minus $457.

It also states which cars are eligible. 2010 and newer Chrysler cars (excluding Sprinters, SRT's, and some Rams) covered by BOTH a 3/36 basic warranty AND an active 5/100,000 Powertrain Warranty, are eligible within 48 months and 48,000 miles of their "in-service" date.

This got me to thinking. I bought my contract with the car and put it in the loan. I now have 4,000 miles in the first 5 months, and I don't need the contract for a minimum of 32,000 more miles. I don't know why I'm even paying for it now. I'm also paying extra interest for it on the loan that I dont need to be paying. I might return it minus $190 in my case, and buy it again in a couple years when my warranty runs out.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Yeah that lifetime thing is a joke,better read the fine print as there not going to replace the engine when it goes with 200k on it as it's due to normal wear and tear which is not covered.
i'm not sure who told you that, that's incorrect.
Unread 08-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
i'm not sure who told you that, that's incorrect.
So when a engine get's to the point of no longer running due to wear,which every engine will do no matter how good you take care of it,Chrysler will replace under a warranty that replaces parts due to manufacturer defects which is not the same as normal wear?

Come on and use some common sense.
Unread 08-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
So when a engine get's to the point of no longer running due to wear,which every engine will do no matter how good you take care of it,Chrysler will replace under a warranty that replaces parts due to manufacturer defects which is not the same as normal wear?

Come on and use some common sense.
i don't need to use common sense, i only need to know what i have seen honored at the dealership. a warranty is a warranty. if the engine, covered for life, stops working for any reason other than neglect, than it is covered, end of story.

the only warranty i've seen chrysler refuse is on a wrangler where a customer went 35,000 miles without an oil change and it blew the motor. they could prove that the car never had an oil change because it still had the factory oil filter on it. we as a dealer offer your first oil change for free. if she had come in even for the free one, chrysler would not have been able to prove that she hadn't done them, and the warranty would have been honored. their words, not mine.
Unread 08-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
i don't need to use common sense, i only need to know what i have seen honored at the dealership. a warranty is a warranty. if the engine, covered for life, stops working for any reason other than neglect, than it is covered, end of story.

the only warranty i've seen chrysler refuse is on a wrangler where a customer went 35,000 miles without an oil change and it blew the motor. they could prove that the car never had an oil change because it still had the factory oil filter on it. we as a dealer offer your first oil change for free. if she had come in even for the free one, chrysler would not have been able to prove that she hadn't done them, and the warranty would have been honored. their words, not mine.
Yeah so you are going to warranty something no matter what the will fail no matter what,even when there is no manufacturer defects?

That is what all automaker warranty's are for,they only cover manufacturer defects,better read your own fine print.
Unread 08-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Yeah so you are going to warranty something no matter what the will fail no matter what,even when there is no manufacturer defects?

That is what all automaker warranty's are for,they only cover manufacturer defects,better read your own fine print.
*sigh* i don't know why i'm trying so hard to convince you of something very simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Care Warranty Brochure
THE ONLY PARTS AND LABOR NOT COVERED ARE...
  • Maintenance services and items used in such services
  • Glass, plastic lenses
  • Body and paint items, including soft trim
  • Wear items such as manual clutch assembly, brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums and belts are not covered at any time
  • Snow plows, winches and trailer hitches
hmm...i don't see engine or transmission on there...wait! there they are! under items covered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Care Warranty Brochure
5007 REASONS TO BUY THE FINEST PROTECTION IN THE INDUSTRY
  • Cylinder block
  • Cylinder head
  • Engine block
  • Engine replace
  • Engine, complete
  • Transaxle assembly
  • Transaxle overhaul
  • Transaxle recondition
  • Transmission assembly
  • Transmission, overhaul
  • Transmission, recondition
of course they'll pay for a new engine and transmission, that's why this warranty costs so much. they're betting you'll get rid of the car long before that happens. but you keep this car for 15 years and put 500k miles on it. motor goes up? $100 and you've got a new one.
Unread 08-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
of course they'll pay for a new engine and transmission, that's why this warranty costs so much. they're betting you'll get rid of the car long before that happens. but you keep this car for 15 years and put 500k miles on it. motor goes up? $100 and you've got a new one.
There not going to cover a engine with 500k on it.You do not need to convince me of anything,I worked at a dealership for some time and know how warranty program really works when the district rep is around(the way it should be done all the time).
Unread 08-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
There not going to cover a engine with 500k on it.You do not need to convince me of anything,I worked at a dealership for some time and know how warranty program really works when the district rep is around(the way it should be done all the time).
you worked at a dealership, or a chrysler dealership?
Unread 08-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
I have the Lifetime Added Care Plus service Contract, and it isn't the life of the loan, it's the life of the car. I just read through all 12 pages of contract (that were mailed to me AFTER the purchase), and there's nothing in it limiting the contract to the duration of the loan.
you're right, that was a typo on my part.
Unread 08-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
you worked at a dealership, or a chrysler dealership?
Worked at a GM/Jeep dealership.
Unread 08-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Worked at a GM/Jeep dealership.
ok, i am done trying to convince you, you win

OP, you've heard from a bunch of people. IMO the warranty is worth it, in fact i'm considering buying it myself if i can save up enough money.
Unread 08-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
gbridge
2011 MK Compass 

Canadian Customers

Hi,

Wish there was a Canadian equivalent......

Was going thru the FAQ on Jeep.com and they indicated the warranty would be honored in Canada, just don't think you can buy it in Canada.

I would in a heart beat......
gbridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.