Lifetime Powertrain Warranty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
CompassGal
2007 MK Compass 

Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?

Hi,

I am absolutely not a car geek so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But I thought the 2007 Lifetime Powertrain Warranty would cover anything that was part of the motor.

Silly me.

Could somebody please explain to me what the cam valve timing harness is and why that is not part of the power train? They agreed that my powertrain warranty is still good, just that this wasn't covered under it.

So its costing me $650.

I don't understand why it is not covered if it is part of the motor.

Thanks.

CompassGal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

We're not geeks either! FU!

Harness usually refers to a wiring harness. From what I could tell from a quick google of it, on variable valve timing engines (most new engines) there is an adjustable solenoid or sprocket that responds to input commands from the cars computers, that adjust the intake and or exhaust valve timing. If it's the wiring harness that broke, and not the valves, solenoids, sprockets etc that broke, then it's arguably part of the electrical system.

From a consumer standpoint, I'd argue your powertrain needs it to work. From a manufacturer standpoint, they prefer it be grouped under electrical.

Somewhere that warranty must have literature that breaks down exactly what is or is not covered. If no such literature exists, maybe a lawyer or judge could convince them otherwise.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Here is a link to a list of parts covered.

http://pa.motorwebs.com/DaimlerChrys...owertrain.html
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
CompassGal
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks. Yeah, that's what they said, "Its electrical."

I'm sure a lawyer would cost more than the part. Its just really annoying, I kept up their excessive "maintenance" schedule for this long and then the first time I need something they say, "Sorry, not covered."

Just from a plain old lay person point of view, I figure that if the motor needs it to propel the vehicle, then its part of the power train. I guess it isn't the layperson point of view that counts.

The thing that's really sad is that I really LIKE my Jeep Compass; its been a great car (already have close to 150k miles on it) and I was definitely planning on replacing it with another Jeep when the time came. But this whole kerfuffle is making me re-think that. I still want an American made car but after this it might not be another Jeep.
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassGal View Post
Thanks. Yeah, that's what they said, "Its electrical."

I'm sure a lawyer would cost more than the part. Its just really annoying, I kept up their excessive "maintenance" schedule for this long and then the first time I need something they say, "Sorry, not covered."

Just from a plain old lay person point of view, I figure that if the motor needs it to propel the vehicle, then its part of the power train. I guess it isn't the layperson point of view that counts.

The thing that's really sad is that I really LIKE my Jeep Compass; its been a great car (already have close to 150k miles on it) and I was definitely planning on replacing it with another Jeep when the time came. But this whole kerfuffle is making me re-think that. I still want an American made car but after this it might not be another Jeep.
So you had a wiring problem with almost 150k on it and because it is not covered under the powertrain warranty you won't buy another Jeep?A wiring harness is not a internally lubricated part of the powertrain,hence it's not covered,it helps to read the fine print before thinking osmething should be covered when it is clearly stated it's not.

Sounds pretty much like your the norm these days and expect everything for free,gimmie-gimmie is all you want.20-30 years ago poeple wouldn't know what to do with a vehicle that lasted 150k+.
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
CompassGal
2007 MK Compass 

Hey, that's really not fair. I just came here to ask a question. I don't expect "everything for free." No need to attack me. Thanks.
Unread 12-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Wmillonig
2012 MK Compass 

Hey CompassGal, hang in there...unfortunately this situation is certainly not unique to Jeep. Any dealer will certainly try to weasel their way out of anything they don't think they'll get reimbursed for. Clearly it's frustrating, especially over the holidays, but there's relatively few manufacturers that offer lifetime powertrain warranties of any kind, so be sure to keep that in your calculus for your future choice. Although it seems the odds wouldn't be in your favor, you could also appeal to Jeep and see if they'll reimburse you.

Another thought is that since you've been a loyal customer all these years, you might can at least get a discount out of them on the repairs (if they're not already offering some kind of holiday special). If they don't want to show you any love then maybe it's not a new brand you need but a new dealer. Good luck.
Wmillonig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.