Leaky MK moonroof - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Leaky MK moonroof

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 06-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #31
Yetidave
2008 MK Patriot 

I have water leaking out of the little alarm sensors in the center light housing in my roof of a 2008 Patriot that I've had less than a week. Then all the dash indicator lights started flashing and beeping at me!! Needless to say I was a little worried about this. Anyone else has this problem?

I just set the towtruck operator's record for least Km's on a tow by 600km - 92kms!!

Dave

Yetidave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 05:03 AM   #32
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The ITM, mentioned here, can have leaks caused by the same sources.

Unfortunately some of the "fixes" are going to require removing the headliner to find the problem. If you're still under warranty let the dealer do it. A "how to" write up is on my "to do" list.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #33
snowmonster
2008 MK Patriot 

Thanks for all the info, gramps! Took your advice though and took it to the dealer since it's under warranty. I am still confused about what happened but they talked about a leak in one the seams in the back of the car that needed to be sealed.
Unread 06-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #34
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That is a worst case scenario, glad they found it for you! I've heard about that on several Patriots and that requires removing the headliner that I haven't done the write up on yet. I know, I'm a slacker!

Unread 06-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #35
snowmonster
2008 MK Patriot 

No worries, gramps. I think they started out by looking at the sunroof and getting all those drain pipes cleaned and aligned. They mentioned it not draining properly. Then, the put some sealant in the seams. Problem is that the sealer didn't dry properly and with the weather we've been having here, the water went right through. Had to take it back and they re-sealed it and dried out the sealer. I hope that's it. I looked in the trunk today and there's no water there. Yet.
Unread 07-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #36
jeepmare
2006 TJ Wrangler 

water leak

I have a 2007 jeep patriot, which has a water leak coming from the rear tailgate area... some where. Can't seem to find where its coming from and its flooding the spare tire well. Has anyone had the same problem and found the leak?
jeepmare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #37
merlinTec

Hi
Yes from 2 areas sun roof drain tubes and the side rails. see if there is any water coming in on the rear interior light
Unread 07-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #38
vic_vega9

my sister just bought a patriot, the first night it rained and their was water coming from the dome light. she taking it back to the dealership today. that makes you feel good spending $20,000 on a vehicle that leaks
vic_vega9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #39
SupernaturalRac

I feel your Pain. I will hopefully have Chrysler to agree to giving me a replacement vehicle (one with NO Sunroof) by the end of the week. At least that is what someone from their head office told me today. (Ihave been in contact with a local lemon law lawyer who told me to get everything together if they do not agree to replace it this time.) I have been talking with this guy for about 2 months now giving them 3 more (One More Chances) to fix this thing with no luck. Below is almost the full history of this 2008 Jeep patriot that has been in so far about 18 times to be worked on and been in the shop almost 90 days (87 total days so far). They have given me an Enterprise rent a car from almost day one. I hope no one else has had this many problems with their Patriot.

P.S. I should have never gotten rid of my 2007 Ram Hemi even if I was only get 12 mpg in the city. That gas scare really ticks me off now.

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Patriot

Purchase Date:5/10/2008

Current Mileage: 21990

Purchased/service Dealer:
Hebert's Town and Country
1155 East Bert Kouns Industrial Loop
Shreveport, LA, 71105

Date of service Mileage Problems Fixes / Replairs Servicing Dealer
07/31/2008 2315 suspesion pops retorqued suspension bolts Hebert's Town and Country
hood is loose adjusted and tighted hood

8/11/2008 3789 suspension pops and creaks replaced rack and pinionand lower control arm
Leaking Sunroof could not reproduce leak

12/11/2008 7527 Drivers side seat belt buckle broke replaced seat belt buckle

6/19/2009 13566 defrost botton does not work replaced defroster cable
jeep shutters and low speeds and when stopping could not duplicate shutter

7/17/2009 14127 defrost botton does not work replaced defroster cable
Sunroof Leaking Again Adjusted sunroof drains

7/27/2009 14516 front suspension popping again tightened lower control arm and cradle bolts
*factory trailer harness not working replaced trailer tow harness
*Radio shorted out replaced radio

7/31/2009 14656 *Radio shorted out replaced radio

10/05/09 17556 Leaking Sunroof Again Resealed Sunroof
*Shorted out dome light Replaced Dome Light
*Shorted out sunroof switch replaced sunroof switch
Popping and creaking suspension Again Tightened suspension bolts and heat shield

10/14/09 17868 Sunroof Leaking Again Shimmed sunroof glass Hebert's sent job downtown to Faries Tops

10/28/09 18421 Sunroof still leaking replaced rear seal and third brake light Hebert's Town and Country
removed and cleaned and dried carpet

12/03/09 19188 Sunroof Still Leaking Rerouted drains Hebert's sent job downtown to Faries Tops

12/14/09 19273 Sunroof Still Leaking Replace complete sunroof assembly Hebert's sent job downtown to Faries Tops

1/22/10 21990 Sunroof inop Repaired chaffed wire Hebert's Town and Country
*accessory plug and lighter plug does not work replaced fuse
*rear window wiper does not work replace rear wiper motor

AS of 1/29/10 it back in the shop again for a leaking sunroof. I talked to the service manager at the dealership and he stated that they have tried and replaced everything in the sunroof assembly and it still leaks and is ruining my electrical system, my leather seats and carpeting.

The bold items are reoccurring items:
Leaking Sunroof - 9 times
Suspension Problems - 4 times

* denotes electrical issues I have had go wrong that I believe is associated with all the water leaking inside the vehicle: 7 items

I do not want this vehicle to have and electrical fire down the road with all the issues it is continuing to have.

My 2008 jeep patriot has been in the shop a collective 18 times over 87 days. It is currently still in the shop since last week. I have had it in 9 times for the sunroof leaking and 7 times to replace electrical items that shorted out because of the leaking sunroof. It first started to have this problem after 3 months 8/2008 and 2700 miles. I am tried of the dealership asking to give them one more try for the last year and a half. They keep blowing me off.
SupernaturalRac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #40
safaribabe

We had a leak around the map light. The car had been sitting outside at a slight angle for a really hard rain. We went to drive it and there were a few drips. It has not leaked since.

Should I pursue this with the dealer? We have had our car since 2007 and haven't had a leak before. It should never have happened but it's been raining since and we have had no leaks.
safaribabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #41
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I haven't had any problems with mine since the first 2 incidents, both resolved by me. I try not to let others fool around with my "stuff" unless I'm just in a hurry, too lazy or it's too cold outside to do it myself.

Some leaks have been VERY consistent and problematic and those I would take to the dealer. If you can't fix it yourself after reviewing page 2 of this thread I would take it back to the dealer.

Unread 02-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #42
SupernaturalRac

The Mediator I have been working with through Chrysler final gave me an answer I wanted to hear today. The Chrysler regional manager has finally agreed to replace my 2008 Jeep Patriot with another Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep Product. Only after my Jeep Leaked for the 10th time and stayed 11 more days in the shop this last time (over 90 days totals since I have owned it). They said that it will take about a week to get the paperwork ready. The only catch is that there will be a deduction for the mileage. I have owned it for 1 1/2 years and it has 22,000 miles on it now. I was not told how much per mile is the deduction. It is my fault that I gave them more than the 4 chances my state allows. They kept asking for one more chance over and over. They knew what they were doing. If I do not like there proposal, I do not have to accept it and I can still sue. I will keep everyone updated.
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #43
nellaekim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went through the same leaky sunroof issues with an 07 Pat. After a year of attempted repairs by the dealer, they finally agreed to do a buy back for me. It took a long time for the process to work with a lawyer involved, but I was very pleased with the result. I can't go into details as part of the agreement, but get a lawyer, save ALL documents and be ready to wait. You won't be disappointed. Good luck.
nellaekim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #44
SupernaturalRac

I am ready to fight and wait (Long but good).

I am not under any obligation not to talk. I will tell you what Chrysler is trying to pull on me if I do not go through my Lawyer. Chrysler uses a company called Impartial Services to buy back their vehicles. The offered to give me a credit based on the 2008 Jeep Patriot Limited MSRP of $23,795 minus a $6700 deduction for mileage (what a joke). I had to by a new Dodge, Jeep or Chrysler at the MSRP with NO rebates or any other discounts. That would only be about $17,000 (basically the same price I would get if I traded it in with no problems, again what a joke). They said that they would refinance the difference. I called them and said that was not going to work. They told me that they would re-look at it, but their would have to be a mileage penalty. The said that they would half the deduction to $3400. I still said no way and told them I had a lawyer and that their offer was nowhere near the Louisiana Lemon Law standards. I told them that I would fax them the same 31 pages and email them the same 10 pictures I gave to my Lawyer. They told me after that, that they would call me back on Monday with another offer.

Louisiana Lemon Law States two options:
1. If you get a New Chrysler Product it is an even swap with a similar vehicle with NO OUT OF POCKET COST to the Customer.

2. If they BUY BACK the vehicle then you give it back for good and they give you your money back just like you never bought the vehicle in the first place. Now here is where there is a mileage deduction. You are charged a mileage fee up until the first occurrence of the problem brought to the dealer. In my case it was at 2700 miles (about $250 mileage penalty). I only own $10,000, so I would basically get $13,000 cash to buy something other than a Chrysler Product.

P.S. I talked to my lawyer and they are familiar with Impartial Services. They told me on Wednesday that they have sent a letter notifying Chrysler that they are representing me. I guess that is the first thing they do in the process. I am prepared to wait. Especially if I can get a brand new 2010 vehicle and only own $10,000 and it will be paid off 2 years earlier than if I bought it new or I get $13000 cash and I get to keep using this Jeep until the lawyer makes them take it back either way.

Last edited by SupernaturalRac; 02-21-2010 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #45
nellaekim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Remember that Impartial Services is hardly that. They are working for Chrysler. I never even got called back until I had a lawyer get involved. If you don't have all of the repair documents, get over to the dealer and get copies of all. Don't be surprised if it takes another 6-9 months to be resolved.
nellaekim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
compass , dome light. , leak , mk , moonroof , patriot , sunroof

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.