JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Leaky MK moonroof (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/leaky-mk-moonroof-758391/)

ricku 12-12-2007 07:43 AM

Patriots Leaking

Was over at ***********.com and saw some disturbing threads about owners complaining about their Pats leaking water around the dome lights and other areas around the roof.....and NOT around the sunroof this time.
Anybody else heard about this ?? Any TSB's out there ??
We have an '08 Pat. No leaks yet (knocking on wood).
Sure hope those are just isolated cases, but still not good.

Gramps 12-12-2007 09:53 AM

I've read those too. I've had 2 leaks that have come down threw the dome light. The first time I had the sunroof open to vent while at work and we had a quick shower, that one was expected. The second time I believe that I had maybe a leaf or some kind of debris get trapped in the seal. I haven't heard of any others over here on our site

merlinTec 12-12-2007 01:43 PM

Hi
There is a TSB for the compass 23-043-06 but not for the patriot. Never done a compass for a leak but done loads of patriots and all from new. What happens is at the factory they trap the drain tubes between the roof lining and the air bag curtain. Most of the time it’s only the front drains but have had rear too.
Park on a slop and open the sunroof, pour water into the drain channel. The drain hose should drain about 20 oz in 20 seconds out of each respective drain hole.
Regards,
Merlin

Gramps 12-12-2007 02:10 PM

Here's a link to the TSB for the Compass:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/...er_2304306.pdf

ShaggyJJ 12-17-2007 08:43 AM

Fix?

Is it possible for this (pouring water through the drains on a slope) to fix the problem, or will I just be verifying that it does or doesn't exist? I don't want to add to the water flow unnecessarily...

Thanks, any info is greatly appreciated!

I assume that the dealership is used to fixing this problem... (hopefully under warranty!)

I just purchased a Liberty, and except for the water coming in through the dome light, I like it! Had a 01 Cherokee..

Gramps 12-17-2007 09:08 AM

The water flow test is to make sure that it the drains are functioning correctly, if not, then the possible reasons that it doesn't need to be looked at per the TSB. As soon as the ice and snow melt off of my sunroof I'll be checking it out. :rolleyes:

merlinTec 12-21-2007 04:32 PM

Hi
Just had one of my customers back his Jeep for this. I fixed it first visit but water had got into the intrusion sensor / module (centre interior light) and I didnít check for electrical faults :brickwall so when he had the car back he then had alarm problem and then battery went flat. All after 2 weeks from new so we gave him a new one. I donít do many PDIís but I wanted to make sure his replacement was ok so I checked it. Guess what his new one was trapped too so glad I checked it so I fixed it before he got it. I hope the factory are getting lots of grief for this a least more then I got.
Regards,
Merlin

Gramps 12-21-2007 04:44 PM

Thanks Merlin! I've had my Compass for 17 months now with only the one leak because I left the sunroof in "vent" and it rained before I could get to it and the second time for no apparent reason at all, but both instances were within the last 2 months. I'm hoping to just find a leaf or something similar stuck at the top of the drain tube. I'll update on mine when I find out more.

ShaggyJJ 12-26-2007 09:16 AM

Took mine in to get it fixed.. In & out in an afternoon. I'll have to grab the work order to check what all was replaced (I'll post it once I can grab it).

Bottom line: No more leak, no more moisture getting in (had some ice forming on the inside of the windows).

JeepinGirlCT 04-21-2009 05:23 PM

Leaky MK moonroof

I know this is probably a repeat thread, so my apologies in advance.

My moonroof occasionally leaks. It started last November about a year after I bought it. It doesn't always leak, and doesn't leak when I take it through the car wash. I had the dealer look at it, but all they did was replace a seal in the windshield (they couldn't reproduce the leak). But this morning when I went to work, about 1/8th cup of water poured out of the maplight onto the dash, which is disconcerting! Gramps-wasn't there a Tech bulletin on this?

Help!

WhiteMtnJeep 04-21-2009 06:22 PM

Don't know about the patriot, but many vehicles with moon or sunroofs have water drains in the corners of the roof. They may be plugged. Also, does it open/close smoothly? If the mechanism is a little dry, it may not close tightly everytime. I had a car with one once, had similiar problem. I lubed the track with white lithium grease and lubed the cables with ATF. Hope this helps.

Gramps 04-21-2009 08:06 PM

Yes, but it was only for the Caliber and Compass. They never released it for the Patriot BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE!!!

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/...er_2304306.pdf

There used to be some pictures of the set up but I'll need to look for them. Sorry, I found what used to be the pictures but it's now a dead link. Here is another thread where Merlin got involved and helped us out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ght=water+leak

the mad hatter 04-22-2009 09:12 AM

I had the same problem as you. After three trips to the dealer I think its finally fixed. Mine would only leak after being out in the rain for a long period.

On my rig it was a problem with the sunroof drain tubes coming disconnected.

JeepinGirlCT 04-22-2009 03:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm taking it into the dealership on Tuesday, and will bring the service bulletins (even if the Pat wasn't included). Hopefully, it will help. I'll especially ask them to check out the drain hoses. You guys are great. That's why I love this place! :2thumbsup:

JeepinGirlCT 04-27-2009 07:22 PM

Dropped my Patriot off at the replacement dealership to get this problem checked out. I printed out the tech bulletin as a reference and left it with them. They were really nice about it. The dealer I bought the Jeep from folded 2 weeks ago. :(

We'll wait and see.

The time now is 07:51 AM.