Knocking sound in the undercarriage [solved] - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Knocking sound in the undercarriage [solved]

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-26-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Knocking sound in the undercarriage [solved]

Just a heads up to people in case this helps someone in the future:

I've been dealing with a metallic, knocking sound that sounded like it came from under the vehicle for some time now. This sound happened when driving over something in a manner which lifts or lowers one wheel on an axle first (like driving over a hole in the ground, over a speed bump / similar diagonally).

Sound started out very intermittent. It became more frequent when temperatures dropped to around -10C, but at this point it was still temperature related. Dealership was unable to locate fault. In the end, the sound became constant when driving over any kind of uneven terrain. At this point, dealership was able to find the fault: a broken "dog's bone" (not sure if that is anywhere near the proper English term) - that is, the part that connects to the anti-roll bar.

(I do hope my description of the problem and its solution are clear - I seem to be having trouble expressing my thoughts clearly this morning, especially in English.)

Tony1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
flipperCompass
2008 MK Compass 

Does it sound like it's coming from the back? When it's cold (-15 C) and I'm driving on uneven road or over ice bumps or holes, I can hear a strange metallic knocking sound, like if it was coming from the liftgate, inside the plastic panel. I could never figure-out what it is. I guess it could be coming from under the Jeep.

Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks.
North Edition 4x4 5spd
Bright Silver PS2

Last edited by flipperCompass; 01-26-2009 at 09:23 AM..
flipperCompass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Yeah, it's pretty loud in the back. I always assumed it was ice in the hatch. (been -30C to -15C in the last month.) I really don't think it's the same problem as the OP had.
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
makoman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Broken shock

I too had the same/similar sounds that you guys are describing and took it to the dealer and it turned out to be a broken shock. No idea how that happened.
makoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #5
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipperCompass View Post
Does it sound like it's coming from the back?
No, from the front. But it can be a bit difficult to locate the sound, especially if you have to concentrate on surrounding traffic at the same time...
Tony1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.