keyless enrty and headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > keyless enrty and headlights

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 09-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

keyless entry and headlights

bought a 2007 patriot with factory alarm and keyless entry. when we lock or unlock it with the fob the headlights will sometimes come on for a minute or so. but.. other times they wont. daytime or nighttime doesnt make a difference.. it seems kinda random. it does seem like most of the time they come on day or night when you use the fob but those times it doesnt makes me wonder. its like its got a mind of its own - this thing is too smart for its own good.

we have barely had it a couple months (700 miles on it - just got done breaking it in last week) so I havent really spent any time playing with it. so I figured I ask you folks here if anyone else has noticed this behavior.

Last edited by CharBroiled; 09-20-2007 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: cant spell
CharBroiled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
snikr

I have just the keyless entry and when we unlock our Compass the lights come on. When we lock it the horn "beeps". Hope this helps.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

All of these features can be set in the "Personal Setting" screen in the EVIC. Sound horn on entry / exit and lights on / off and for how long. See if that helps. The manual has the info and I can look up page numbers later tonight.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

dont have the evic but Ive already shut the horn chirp off as it annoys me, did that via the keyfob.

Ive checked the owners manual for the headlights going on but didnt see how to disable it without evic. might of misses that though.

I actually like the headlights going on when locking/unlocking, Im just wondering why its not consistent. sometimes they come on, other times they dont and its not related to whether its dark out or not.

gramps, if you can provide a page number that would be great that manual is thick, heh.
Unread 09-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It starts on pg 180 of the online manual, but this is with the EVIC.

http://www.jeep.com/owners/manuals.html#

Unread 09-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a land rover that does this also...I think...but i figured out why. When I press the fob to lock it, the lights just flash once, for confirmation. If I hold down for a few seconds to lock it, the headlights will come on for 30 seconds....so I can see to get into the house....then go off.

Try just hitting the lock button once quickly to see what happens....then try holding it down for a few seconds to see if anything changes.

Good luck!
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laloggia
I have a land rover that does this also...I think...but i figured out why. When I press the fob to lock it, the lights just flash once, for confirmation. If I hold down for a few seconds to lock it, the headlights will come on for 30 seconds....so I can see to get into the house....then go off.

Try just hitting the lock button once quickly to see what happens....then try holding it down for a few seconds to see if anything changes.

Good luck!
BINGO!!!

thats it

hold the lock key down for just a sec, no headlights.

hold lock down for more than a second, they come on for 30 seconds or so.

now I can sleep at night this was bugging me for a while. thanks!
Unread 09-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

Glad to help....my Compass didn't come with power locks

I really didn't think i would miss it as much as i do. I will probably buy a kit and install it myself. Will post a write up for everyone if I do, with pics.

-Mike
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, its kinda funny how used to something that seems trivial at first glance become the norm fast. power door locks, keyless entry and the steering wheel audio controls are something I miss if I drive something without them.

for the record :

(I disabled the horn chirp)

unlock via fob always turns on headlights for 30 secs or until starter engaged. marker lights flash twice.

quick tap of lock via fob: marker lights flash once, no headlights.

hold lock via fob down for more than a sec: marker lights flash once, headlights come on for 30 secs or so.

I might have the flashes backwards, the wife has it at work at the moment.

I couldnt finds this behavior noted in the manual, just how to turn the headlight feature totally on or off.

thanks again, this had us wondering if the patriots brain was damaged or if it was our brains that were damaged.
Unread 09-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
safaribabe

horn

Can you turn down the horn on entry/exit or just off? I do have EVIC so I will check there to turn it off. It is really loud, but maybe that is just what the horn sounds like... haven't hit it yet!

Oh, thanks for this thread. I was wondering the same thing... why when I lock it sometimes do the light stay on for a long time and at other times, they don't... I was always worried they would never go off and wear down the battery. So I would open the doors and relock them and sometimes it woudl go away, sometimes the same thing. Never occurred to me I was holding the button down a bit longer to lock them!
safaribabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

pretty sure its just an on/off feature. at least controlling the horn chirp volume isnt mentioned anywhere in the manual.

then again the "hold down the lock key longer does something different than a quick tap" bit wasnt mentioned either.
Unread 09-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Page 181 of the Owners Manual. On/Off only.

http://www.jeep.com/owners/manuals.html#

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.