key-ignition problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > key-ignition problems?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
mashnost

key-ignition problems?

Anyone having problems with the key getting stuck in the ingition? We bought the Compass about a week ago and have already had it in the shop for this problem. The service manager told me that it was my fault for not "pushing in" the key to turn it all the way to the rear off position, even though one of the maintainance guys couldn't get it out. We ended up having to get a new key since the "old" one was bent from everyone trying to get it out and the dealership told me I would get a new one the next day. Well, my girlfriend went to pick it up in the Compass and lo and behold, the key got stuck in the ingition...mid you, this was the alternate key we had, not the one that originally was stuck in there...this time not even the service manager could get it out...with some poking and proding, it finally came out....so, anyone else have this problem? They told us if the problem persists to bring it back, meanwhile, if the key gets stuck in there, it has to sit locked but with the key in the ingition....that's like the creamy nougat center for a thief!!!!

mashnost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 03:59 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

OK, not implying that you don't already know this but just to clarify: all the way clockwise is "start" then it springs back to "run". The next position counter-clockwise is "accessory", then push in and turn cc again to off and remove the key.

Take a look at the keys. Are there any nicks on them? Maybe a bad pin in the tumbler that hangs up? Something wrong with the column lock linkage that doesn't let it turn back?

I can't think of anything else to cause the problem. Very mechanical, no hi-tech. The next step would be to replace the tumbler and key and check the linkage.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
mashnost

jeep dealership cant' figure it out, they gave us a new key...hope that works
mashnost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
Mistyfate

Before today I never had this problem...however today when I was running late for work (isn't that how it always is?) and it happened! I found a spot and put my car into park. Then the key would not come out! So I fiddled and fiddled and fiddled. I turned the car back on...then shut it off...then tried turning the steering wheel. This went on for about 5 minutes. Then I checked the driver's manual...and found nothing out of the ordinary.

Then I looked down at my shifter (it's an automatic) and realized that the wire from my aux. radia jack was hanging by the shifter...and while the car was in park (and not moving...with my foot off the break) that the small wire was preventing the shift knob from fully locking into park position (all the way up and to the left). So I moved the wire...and like magic...the key came out!

So if you are still having that pesky problem make sure that you are fully in park, and if you were completely in park...then I don't know what to tell ya!
Mistyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
TimeTraveler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Key Stuck

Still waiting for my Compass, but on my Neon, I have the same problem, for this it was the shift linkage is not alligned. The key is stuck, then I hit the shift lever into park again, and the key is released.

GEO
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

key in ignition

i dont know if anyone else is having this problem but, whenever i turn the car off the display tells me "key in ignition". i have tried everything that would seem to be common sense but nothing works. been to busy with my newborn son to make it to the dealer. so i just wanted to see if there was any info from all u wonderful people.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
blake0

@mashnost: Sorry to hear about your key ingition problem. I have my Compass for about 1 1/2 months and haven't experienced this problem

@07compasssport: I don't think I understand what your are trying to say, but on mine the display tells "key in ignition" only after I open the door with the car turned off and the key in the ingition. If I close the door or remove the key the display turns off.
blake0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake0

@07compasssport: I don't think I understand what your are trying to say, but on mine the display tells "key in ignition" only after I open the door with the car turned off and the key in the ingition. If I close the door or remove the key the display turns off.
with the key removed and the door open is when it tells me that the key is in ignition. i have also noticed that when it does this, the next time i start the car the clock is off a couple hours. got an apt with the dealer soon, so not to worried.
Unread 11-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

well figed out what was wrong with the ignition message... turns out that a single fuse was responsible for all that was wrong... it affected the remote entry, radio, locks, and tire pressure monitor. glad thats figed out!
Unread 11-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #10
blake0

Good to hear you solved your problem, just out of curiosity, how do you figured it out?
blake0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Great find! Gotta love electronics.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #12
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake0
Good to hear you solved your problem, just out of curiosity, how do you figured it out?
well i got annoyed with the message and the constant ding that would go off so i just started with the fuses to see if i could pull one for it to stop, instead found one that wasnt seated all the way. and whala! everything that wasnt working properly worked like it should have to start with.
Unread 12-29-2008, 01:29 AM   #13
Johnno
2007 MK Compass 

2007 Compass - problem removing key from ignition

Hi - have just bought my wife our first Jeep so I am a real novice. She is having real trouble removing the key from the ignition when she turns the car off. Keeps locking it up and can't unlock it. After a bit of fiddling I can get the key out but it is annoying. I haven't really had the same problem.

Is there a trick she is not doing that I am doing without knowing? Or do you think we have a fault?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.