K&N AirCharger High-Flow Intake/Cold Air Intake - Merged - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > K&N AirCharger High-Flow Intake/Cold Air Intake - Merged

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 08-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #46
Gaze
1996 ZJ 

Has anyone confirmed that the same part number will work on a Patriot? An email I sent to K&N and an online retailer have not been responded to.

Unread 08-06-2007, 03:28 AM   #47
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I called them a couple of weeks ago and at that time they had NOT physically tried it on a Patriot to be able to confirm the fit. However, looking threw the parts manual there is no differences between the Compass, Patriot and Caliber in the engine area so logically it would fit. The price of the unit does dictate that waiting for their confirmation may be prudent.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 07:03 AM   #48
Gaze
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
The price of the unit does dictate that waiting for their confirmation may be prudent.
Agreed... I think I'll manage to hold off for a few more days!
Unread 08-07-2007, 07:25 AM   #49
Jason31

If you can post some pictures of the engine with the engine cover off, with the air intake on, then with it off, I can tell you if it would fit.
Unread 08-07-2007, 12:57 PM   #50
Gaze
1996 ZJ 

ill try to do something like that one day this week.
Unread 08-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #51
snood
2007 MK Compass 

I just installed the Mopar cold air intake today....doesn't sound as mean as the k&n in the wrangler. Also is does not come with a heat shield, however it is made of metal vs plastic.

It is better made out of metal vs plastic?
Should I return it for the k&n with the heat shield?
Price was 312 from dealer with 25 MIR
Unread 08-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #52
Jason31

Metal is louder but is better to reflect heat.

One air intake to another on this kind of vehicle is going to make a big difference. Four small cylinders are only going to pump so much air. Put a turbo on it, and shove some air into it, thats a different story...
Unread 08-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #53
snood
2007 MK Compass 

so do you think that is why it did not come with a heat shield? but the mopar intakes for the hemi do?? Would you return it and go for a k&n with a heat shield?

Last edited by snood; 08-09-2007 at 07:09 AM..
snood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #54
Jason31

I didn't word my first reply above correctly. I meant that the different air intakes will NOT make that big of a difference.

If you are going to for the absolute best intake you can make, then enclose the entire cone in a box and somehow feed it plenty of cold air.

MIGHT gain you one additional horsepower on an engine of this size.

If it were me, and I spent the money on the mopar intake, then no, I would not send it back and buy a K&N.
Unread 08-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #55
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I've been hoping for an "update" of some kind from those that put these on a while back. We heard the initial impressions, so how do you feel about them a month or so later. Still a cost effective investment or??

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #56
snood
2007 MK Compass 

Well yesterday I left the battery disconnected for 4 hours and today on my way to work I believe me MPG has gone up, it seemed like the needle did not move on my way there....I drive 35 miles with cruise set at 70. I will let you all know once I refill and calculate is as I do not have the EVIC
Unread 08-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #57
steel5blue
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I've been hoping for an "update" of some kind from those that put these on a while back. We heard the initial impressions, so how do you feel about them a month or so later. Still a cost effective investment or??
Well, after four months and several thousand miles including road trips in the Sierras, I feel very happy with the k&n kit. Throttle response and acceleration are definitely enhanced -though it's now hard to remember how the compass felt the first three months with the original airbox. Even the sportscar roar at full throttle puts a smile on my face.
MPG have not changed one way or the other. It is more difficult to be disciplined and not go for the quick accel, since it has become more fun...
Would definitely buy again and even pay more if I had to (and I'm a cheapskate!)
(BTW, I have a sport 4x4, 5-speed)
Cheers.

Rav-who? CR-what? Arizona-where?
2007 Compass Sport Steel-5speed-Blue 4X4
steel5blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 06:37 AM   #58
Jason31

Still like mine! If I ever stop being lazy I'll post up the the pictures I took before, during, and after.

I have not noticed a difference in MPG yet, but, I haven't fully tested it yet either.

My Compass likes 89 octane more than 87. Runs a hair smoother, feels more responsive, but most important, it gets better gas mileage with 89. So, last time we filled up the Jeep, Lisa had it, and put 87 in it. So I'll be interested how it comes out this tank.

I can tell you it seems better just going by feel. I've been driving it harder than normal lately and the gas mileage hasn't gone down. I'm still hanging out right around 24MPG.

Only I dislike about the K&N, and this could be an install issue as well, is that its awfully loud. Almost reminds me of a ricer with a huge exhaust can hanging off the back. It doesn't take full throttle to do that on mine. So, I will probably take the intake completely back off, and check for rubbing to see if its hitting anything. If not, I'm going to insulate it somehow.

Pics to come, I promise!
Unread 08-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #59
snood
2007 MK Compass 

Where is your "sweet" spot?

Right around 5500 rpms is where I believe my intake sounds the smoothest .... what about you? Also does anyone have this problem...when in 2nd gear and around 2200 rpms the jeep like jerks forward and backward..i notice it alot more with the intake because of the sound.
Unread 08-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #60
steel5blue
2007 MK Compass 

Can't say I rev this high often, maybe once in a while when overtaking on the highway. And no, I don't notice any jerking in 2nd or any other gear. That doesn't sound like something that should be happening

Rav-who? CR-what? Arizona-where?
2007 Compass Sport Steel-5speed-Blue 4X4
steel5blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.