K&N air filter upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > K&N air filter upgrade?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 09-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
SPF3000
2014 MK Patriot 

Has anyone tried the air filter upgrade on their Pat? If so, what results did you have? Worth the cost?

Last edited by SPF3000; 09-08-2014 at 02:58 PM..
SPF3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
DEF1ANT
2014 MK Compass 

I installed just the K&N filter, and after several miles of driving, I averaged one extra mpg. Noise stayed the same and it seems like it responds a little better too.

It's a small improvement from the stock one, and it's reusable/washable. If you have that extra to spend, I think it's worth it.
DEF1ANT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF3000 View Post
Has anyone tried the air filter upgrade on their Pat? If so, what results did you have? Worth the cost?
It's a downgrade,sure it flows better but filters worse and the PCM and mechanical insides of the engine will only accept so much air coming in.You'd need to mod the engine internals and have the PCM re-programmed to take any effect it may give.
Unread 09-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #4
SPF3000
2014 MK Patriot 

Thanks for the insight. K&N claims better mpg and 6.3 additional hp, which sounds good (more power AND better mileage?!), but I don't want to be playing around with computers and such...definitely not my forte.
SPF3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2014, 01:09 AM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF3000 View Post
Thanks for the insight. K&N claims better mpg and 6.3 additional hp, which sounds good (more power AND better mileage?!), but I don't want to be playing around with computers and such...definitely not my forte.
You may till the PCM learns around it and adjusts back to stock in a few drive cycles.Hence why PCM tuning is required.

A better flowing air filter does not increase mpg's,a very dirty air filter will actually increase mpg's in any vehicle bought after 1996(gas only),you will loose some power but if driven lightly will actually increase mpg's with up to a 85% clogged air filter.How someone will ask and it's due to the PCM reading the restriction(via engine sensors like MAF,MAP, and O2 sensors) and adjusting the pulse width of the injectors to run leaner,less air equals less fuel hence the better mpg's.
Unread 09-11-2014, 01:10 AM   #6
Tyler-98-W68
2012 MK Compass 

I have the K&N intake (which includes the filter) on my 2012 Compass, I have had ZERO issues with driveability, my fuel economy has gone up and my throttle response is smoother, I also have a custom catback exhaust as well, that may make a difference as well.
Tyler-98-W68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.