K&N Air Filter - Compass CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > K&N Air Filter - Compass CRD

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

K&N Air Filter - Compass CRD

Hey Guys

Does anyone know if the K&N Product list is correct (http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2362, regarding the stock air filter replacement. I have the CRD Compass, and looking at the K&N site, the 2L CRD Air filter is the same as the 2L Petrol Compass.

Before I place an order I want to be sure. Gramps, would you have the measurements in the Service Manual? I recall seeing another thread here somewhere and I checked the part numbers for the Diesel Air filter vs. Petrol - and I recall them being different.

Yet K&N are manufacturing the same filter for both models??

Any help would be much appreciated!

mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

They are slightly different but then so is the K&N. How close is close enough?

Here are the #'s and dimensions LxWxH in mm:

Gas (petrol) -04891694AA --325x168x30
Diesel --------04891695AA -325x168x40
K&N ---------33-2362 -------330x171x25

Since the outside is like "rubber" it should compress easily enough. The less height just means that you would lose surface area and have to clean it more often. The cost looks like it's 3X the standard filter but lasts a lifetime. Appears to be a good investment.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Gramps! What would we do without you here!!

I've bought K&N Filters in the past for previous cars, and the outside rubber is usually okay - but I've had situations where the filter itself had been too big for the air filter box. I might bite the bullet and just buy one...
Unread 12-15-2007, 06:06 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdls4
Thanks Gramps! What would we do without you here!!

I've bought K&N Filters in the past for previous cars, and the outside rubber is usually okay - but I've had situations where the filter itself had been too big for the air filter box. I might bite the bullet and just buy one...
And thanks to everybody here for keeping my brain going and helping to improve my keyboarding, spelling and picture posting! What would I do without YOU! I've gotten back as much as I've given.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just placed an order on eBay for that K&N filter. Hopefully all goes well, shipping priority from NJ to Australia! Will let you know the results after I receive it and install. I'm not expecting an awful lot of difference, but hopefully it helps with the turbo breathing in more air - in turn slightly better off the mark performance...
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you will be driving your jeep in a dusty environment, the K&n is NOT recommended.
save your money.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nailer, he said this K&N was for a Compass!

Joking aside, K&N's don't help at all with fuel economy or performance, they can save money over paper filters. In 100,000 miles of driving, the K&N will cost less to re-use, than buying disposables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdls4
.....I'm not expecting an awful lot of difference, but hopefully it helps with the turbo breathing in more air - in turn slightly better off the mark performance...
You're likely to see no difference, but if there is any to be had, it will only come at wide-open-throttle.

In any other position, your filter isn't the bottle-neck in the ability of the car to get air.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

A quick update, although I no longer have the Compass, I did manage to get a K&N filter on ebay and install it. It most definitely improves performance, not in a huge way, but is definitely noticeable. This is in the CRD anyhow. The turbo kicks in at about the same RPM range, but kicks in harder and faster if you put your foot on the gas. Where as before the K&N filter, it would hesitate.

Acceleration seems a lot smoother too. No sign of change with fuel consumption though. You can see where the K&N filter helps, when I took the stock one out it was like pulling out a huge box of tissues!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.