k and n air filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > k and n air filter

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 05-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Busmaster2

k and n air filter

I have about 11500 miles on my compass, and given the foul air in NYC I decided to change the air filter to a k and n. What a difference in throttle response.! Whereas before it seemed like an eternity for kick down, it now occurs at what seems like mid throttle as opposed to the full shot it needed before. It also seems to be getting a bit better (1 to2) MPG.

Busmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
srtdodge05
2011 MK Patriot 

Do you have the part number for the filter? Mine is looking pretty nasty at almost 17,000 miles.
Unread 05-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

http://www.knfilters.com/air_filter/jeep_patriot.aspx
Keep in mind, these things are not maintenance free. You need to clean them and re-oil regularly. I find the added expense and hassle not worth it. Also, on some cars the oil from the filter can contaminate the air flow meter and cause drivability issues.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Busmaster2

Oiling the filter is less than simple. Clean with the cleaning agent, shake it, dry it and buy the spray can oif oil if youre wprried about over oiling. Make it punk, let it sit a bit to absorb the oil and that,s it for quit a while. Ive used them in all my cars for years with no problem.
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Busmaster2

Sorry . Make it pink
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The paper filter will actually filter,K&N's don't.Hence K&N's claim to fame,more flow but at expense of actually filtering.You will see your oil be alot darker since more dirt will be entering your engine causing more wear.
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Busmaster2

To be honest, so what. I change the oil every 5000 miles, and I have the unlimited warranty so whatever prob lems might arise will be on chrysler
Unread 05-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busmaster2 View Post
To be honest, so what. I change the oil every 5000 miles, and I have the unlimited warranty so whatever prob lems might arise will be on chrysler
And those comments is why there are so many junk used vehicles,people just don't care.

Trust me if your engine blows and you have a K&N filter installed your going to be paying for that engine not Chrysler.Some car company's actually state in the warranty manual and owners manual that any oiled air filter will void any warranty on the engine.

And now for the next poster to say.............

"Well just put a regular filter before so you can defraud a company for your stupidity"
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
Busmaster2

What I find amusing is that the original specs for the first jeeps included the use of oiled air filters. Granted engines have tighter tolerances now, but unless a person is planning on fighting a one man war, I doubt the average city dweller could put their vehicles through anything as rough as what those original jeeps went through with their oiled filters. Yet they became the vehicles of legend.
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busmaster2 View Post
What I find amusing is that the original specs for the first jeeps included the use of oiled air filters. Granted engines have tighter tolerances now, but unless a person is planning on fighting a one man war, I doubt the average city dweller could put their vehicles through anything as rough as what those original jeeps went through with their oiled filters. Yet they became the vehicles of legend.
Oil bath filters and oiled filters are 2 completely different things.
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #11
Busmaster2

Yes oil bath filters used blow by to keep them wet. In my two citroens from the late 50 s and 70s, the air filter was simply a perforated metal cylinder. It seemed to do the trick quite well. I guess time will tell as to whether my choice was a good one. As an aside, I've used k and n filters in my cars for years and never had a premature wear problem. Now if the rest of the cars were as good as the engines, I doubt whether we'd be writing and complaining about our rides as much as we do.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.