Just Why!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Just Why!?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
MckayMan
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just Why!?

I never really have under stood why diesel is not that popular here in america, when it seems to be superior to gas. I meen the diesel patriot is suposed to get around 50 mpg on the highway and 30 in the city. Seriously thats like rivaling a civic or something. Why is that not in america yet?

140K Miles
2.5" OME lift.
MckayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
kwc
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckayMan
I never really have under stood why diesel is not that popular here in america, when it seems to be superior to gas. I meen the diesel patriot is suposed to get around 50 mpg on the highway and 30 in the city. Seriously thats like rivaling a civic or something. Why is that not in america yet?
pretty simple ... the engine doesn't meet emission requirements. yet.
Unread 12-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

Diesel is now more expensive (in my area) than gasoline which helps negate the mileage disparity.
TeHpWNaG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Jeepster55

yea, same here. gas....$2.63/gal compared to diesel at $3.39/gal. BIG difference!
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

As a diesel owner (truck) I hear a lot of women say they "would never use that nasty pump". The fuel is dirty and so are the pumps. I think that has a small part to do with it. Plus not all stations have it and when they do of the 15 pumps 1 will have diesel. It never fails some jerk is parked in the diesel pump and the other 14 are open. I put up with this every day. Not to mention they need to be pluged in when it is cold. Not everyone wants to mess with that either. They make more noise and people don't like change.
Unread 12-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
JeepN2

I cant understand why either. They could'nt keep the liberty CRD's in stock. maybe because all the farmers would buy them..lol..

07 Blue Compass 4x4
JeepN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I can understand why. The largest segment of the buying public, those of us that grew up with the noisy, dirty, messy, cantankerous, foul smelling behemoths of the 70’s and 80’s have trouble believing that they could be refined enough to be used for daily transportation. You could tell that a diesel was coming blocks away with all of the rattling that they do. They were laborious on acceleration and about the only thing that they were good for was pulling a heavy load and running the freeways. Right or wrong, that's our perception.

Things have changed. I’ve been over to the UK a couple of times in the past few years and there are some sweet running, quiet diesels over there from many different manufacturers. Now if they would get the emissions worked out we could have something that used half the amount of fuel, has quick acceleration and meets the mileage standards that the Feds are going to impose on all of the manufacturers.

Most of these “improved” diesels are in the foreign markets because they simply don’t have to pass the same pollution standards as N.A.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.