Just want to gloat a bit about my latest MPGs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Just want to gloat a bit about my latest MPGs

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Just want to gloat a bit about my latest MPGs

It is official- I have broken the 25 mpg barrier on my daily commute with only 1,943 miles on the clock. The last two fill ups have been 25.78 and 25.52 mpg .

I should be able to increase the mpg by about 1-2 mpg once we change over to the summer blended fuel.

On a side note- the EVIC avg mpg has been off by +/- .2 mpg.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjeepguy View Post
It is official- I have broken the 25 mpg barrier on my daily commute with only 1,943 miles on the clock. The last two fill ups have been 25.78 and 25.52 mpg .

I should be able to increase the mpg by about 1-2 mpg once we change over to the summer blended fuel.

On a side note- the EVIC avg mpg has been off by +/- .2 mpg.
I try to drive conservative approx. 70 mph and can't get over 22 mpg ... what am I doing wrong??? I have approx 2000 miles on the Compass now.
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_rector View Post
I try to drive conservative approx. 70 mph and can't get over 22 mpg ... what am I doing wrong??? I have approx 2000 miles on the Compass now.
In a nutshell- driving too fast. I keep it between 55-60 mph. People underestimate the effects of aerodynamic drag- just think how much less energy you expend while in a pace line.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
Unread 03-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
In a nutshell- driving too fast. I keep it between 55-60 mph. People underestimate the effects of aerodynamic drag- just think how much less energy you expend while in a pace line.
Dang ... if I drive 55-60 mph on hwy 99 from Sacramento to Stockton (which is my daily commute) ... I will get ran over by at least 4 trucks a day

I'm not complaining ... I just wish this damn thing had a bigger gas tank. It sucks getting gas every 2.5 days

Other than that ... I love my Compass
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Unread 03-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Dang ... if I drive 55-60 mph on hwy 99 from Sacramento to Stockton (which is my daily commute) ... I will get ran over by at least 4 trucks a day
I know what you mean- maybe when diesel goes over $5 gal then the trucks might think about cooling it.

Also reducing your mileage somewhat are the large diameter chrome wheels- they are stylish, but heavy.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
Unread 03-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
PirateKatz

I do mostly highway driving (between 70 and 80 mph) and used to average around 22 - 23 mpg. I've started to tone down my driving somewhat and just cruise at the speed of traffic in the slow lane at about 65. We routinely get about 25 mpg now.
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
I know what you mean- maybe when diesel goes over $5 gal then the trucks might think about cooling it.

Also reducing your mileage somewhat are the large diameter chrome wheels- they are stylish, but heavy.
Yeah and those wheels vibrate. The dealership put those on, and they were free, but I don't really care for them. I took it to Les Schwab and they couldn't balance them out, so I am thinking of going back to the dealership and saying either fix it or take them off and put the stock wheels on it. They were suppose to do that anyway, but never called me to swap them out.

I guess I could ride my bike to work ... 57 miles each way - 3 hour ride Just need more daylight.

Unread 03-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
I guess I could ride my bike to work ... 57 miles each way - 3 hour ride Just need more daylight.
Just use lights Nothing more exciting than flying along faster that how far your lights can reach and seeing some obstacle come into view.

My ride would only be 28 miles each way, but it is the 4500 feet of elevation change that will get you.

Later

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
Unread 03-22-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I consistently get 29+ MPG with my 2wd Caliber R/T CVT. Even at 75+ MPH. I have a 50 mile (one way) commute.
Unread 03-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #10
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

I am going to have a K&N intake installed to see if that helps increase the mileage a little bit too. Going to the dealership today about the wheels. They vibrate and were suppose to be taken off and the stock 18s put on it. I would have picked different wheels than the ones on it anyways. We'll see how that goes.

Unread 03-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
RyanSBenson
2001 WJ 

I left the Jeep at home to visit the folks this weekend and took the civic, got 42 mpg for the first take and 41 for the second. I finally discovered how to make the jeep fuel efficient, don't drive it!

I want jeep to make a patriot hybrid. I think that would be a great around town car. I have been tossing around the idea of getting a patriot but the wife likes the grand cherokee more. Whats a guy to do?
RyanSBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My wife has the Grand and I've got the Compass. Works for me!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.