Just finished review on Compass - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Just finished review on Compass

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 12-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #16
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
HEY! I was gonna say that! "It's not too loud unless it's distorted" Cerwin-Vega
Hey...those are my home speakers! Cerwin-Vega! VS-80's and LW-10 sub.

phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #17
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
Hey...those are my home speakers! Cerwin-Vega! VS-80's and LW-10 sub.

I've got the legendary D-9's, 3 way, 15" woofers and the sub-woofer set up.. AWESOME We're gonna rock this town!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 12-21-2006 at 05:53 PM..
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #18
phil8400

Quote:
I've got the historical D-9's, 3 way, 15" woofers and the sub-woofer set up.. AWESOME We're gonna rock this town!
Those D-9's were a china cabinets worse nightmare. Absolutely "sick" speakers
Unread 12-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #19
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

great review, thanks
echocat22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #20
Kev M
2012 WK 

For what it is worth, I've got a full set of Boston Accoustic's for my surround sound system - including stereo, center, affects and subwoofer
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #21
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
For what it is worth, I've got a full set of Boston Acoustics for my surround sound system - including stereo, center, affects and sub-woofer
Uh, ya, sorry! Back to the BA's. The Compass is a mobile sound stage with those! No regrets having that option. I can crank it up, sing as loud as I want and nobody can hear me, AND THAT'S A GOOD THING!!

and Phil, you've got an avatar

Last edited by Gramps; 12-21-2006 at 05:54 PM..
Unread 12-21-2006, 09:33 PM   #22
phil8400

Quote:
Uh, ya, sorry! Back to the BA's. The Compass is a mobile sound stage with those! No regrets having that option. I can crank it up, sing as loud as I want and nobody can hear me, AND THAT'S A GOOD THING!!

and Phil, you've got an avatar
I heart BA's
Unread 12-22-2006, 05:44 AM   #23
Michelle_W

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!

I've received quite a few emails (this is only the second day the review has been public) accusing me of "having a DCX soft spot". The fact is, I receive ZERO compensation from Ford, DCX, GM or any other automaker. Hence, I have no incentive to tell anything BUT the truth. I figure the only complaints will come either from loyalists, or folks who hate DCX as a whole.

And Gramps, I'm 99% certain this is the vehicle we'll end up with. My youngest child adored the Compass, and I'm semi-disappointed that I couldn't even find a die-cast version to give her as a gift. She tells me every day how much she misses "that Jeep".

One more thing............is it possible that the gas mileage may have been affected due to the low mileage? The Compass only had 1000 miles on it when we took possession IIRC. Then again, with the weird way we tested it, no wonder it didn't hit the claimed gas mileage. The driving was a heavy mix of city/highway, on/off the gas, random accelerator jabs, and so on. And it STILL got nearly 19 MPG!
Unread 12-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #24
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_W
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!

I've received quite a few emails (this is only the second day the review has been public) accusing me of "having a DCX soft spot". The fact is, I receive ZERO compensation from Ford, DCX, GM or any other automaker. Hence, I have no incentive to tell anything BUT the truth. I figure the only complaints will come either from loyalists, or folks who hate DCX as a whole.

And Gramps, I'm 99% certain this is the vehicle we'll end up with. My youngest child adored the Compass, and I'm semi-disappointed that I couldn't even find a die-cast version to give her as a gift. She tells me every day how much she misses "that Jeep".

One more thing............is it possible that the gas mileage may have been affected due to the low mileage? The Compass only had 1000 miles on it when we took possession IIRC. Then again, with the weird way we tested it, no wonder it didn't hit the claimed gas mileage. The driving was a heavy mix of city/highway, on/off the gas, random accelerator jabs, and so on. And it STILL got nearly 19 MPG!

Michelle,

The mileage could definitely come up a bit when your not testing! Testing, maybe by definition, is giving it hell, that's your job, and it just isn't going to see the mileage. I don't have much city driving on my travels but, when the wife steals it on the weekends to go shopping it does drop a mile or two per gallon. Still acceptable.

Compass Diecast: I've got it on my eBay "searches" with notification. I want one too.

As far as a DCX soft spot, I admit to having one but, I still wouldn't shell out $20K + for something that doesn't do what I want it too. I could have gone with a VIBE, Tucson and a few others. They just weren't right for me. There is also those that are prejudice against DCX no matter what they build.

Unread 12-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #25
phil8400

Well, for the record, I was filling up this morning and experienced my first "Jeep faction mobbing" by a hippie looking guy who was driving the new 4 door Rubicon. The guy was on his 9th Jeep having owned a TJ, a YJ, a CJ, a Libby and a bunch of other models.
He just raved about my Compass and how cool it looked. He certainly didn't knock it or have that "not a real Jeep" attitude at all!

Let me tell you though that...that 4 door Rubicon is one sweet looking ride! ...even if the external door hindges were already rusting. He wasn't too happy about that.
Unread 12-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #26
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_W

Yes to both.

It likely had something to do with the fact that the vehicle was really still breaking-in AND it had something to do with the way you were testing it.

Kev
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #27
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Another good Compass review. Looks like some writers still do their own work.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/027363.html

Unread 03-24-2007, 07:10 AM   #28
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

And another Edmunds review, different author, MUCH better review! Go figure.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115901

I’ve been thinking about this and this is as good a place as any to put my opinion.

What if Toyota had made the Compass? It would have received rave reviews in the press/magazines on test drives. They would have described it as being a totally capable off-road mini-sport-Ute with clean lines and easily cleanable interior, great handling and performance with a revolutionary, new, improved CVT transmission. It would have been hailed as a small Land Cruiser with more reasonable gas mileage.

But instead Jeep built it and you know what the bias press has said about it.

Enter the Jeep Patriot. That same press would have said that Jeep was still trying to catch up with the world leader Toyota having built the Compass but in pure Jeep fashion have added a totally useless, for most people, FD II off-road gearing package.

Reviews by the big publications on American products are almost always written in the negative while the Imports are written in the positive. Is it any wonder that the Big 3 are in trouble? People actually believe that crud.

Even Rock Crawler magazine says the “Patriot has some tricks up its sleeve - namely two Off-road packages.” I can’t recall ANYBODY calling the FD I an Off-road package only that the Compass was slammed for not being “Trail Rated”.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/j...rive/index.asp

The bottom line is that there is no real differences between the Compass and the Patriot other than the looks of the sheet metal and that you can order the Patriot with the factory installed FD II and Off-road package and you have to DIY on the Compass.

I see my Compass as a Sport-Ute that looks like a mini Grand Cherokee. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Last edited by Gramps; 03-24-2007 at 08:23 AM..
Unread 03-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #29
BuzzDog

Quote:
I see my Compass as a Sport-Ute that looks like a mini Grand Cherokee. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!
My thoughts exactly. I really wanted a Grand Cherokee - and could have easily afforded one - but the gas mileage was a sticking point for me, since I try to get the most out of my employer's allowance of 48.5 cents per mile, which is what I'm paid when I use my personal vehicle for business. Plus, even if the Compass' resale value tanks in the first few years, in terms of real dollars I'll probably be ahead compared to if I bought a GC.

I'm hoping that DCX does something to increase fuel economy in the next generation of the Grand Cherokee. And as I've said time and again, the Compass is an EXCELLENT second vehicle for those who want to support their local Jeep dealer with the purchase of a very competent road vehicle that is also quite capable in snow and ice.
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #30
x96mnn
2008 KK Liberty 

Good Read

Michelle, was your article on the web about a month back as I thought I read it when I bought mine and played role in me going with the Compass.

If it was I want to say thank you!

Another Article I used was

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/...py?artid=71053
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.