Just finished review on Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Just finished review on Compass

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 12-14-2006, 02:51 AM   #1
Michelle_W

Just finished review on Compass

Hi everyone! I hope I'm welcome here.

I just finished testing a Jeep Compass last week. I know, I know............now what am I doing here, right?

I had the Compass for one week and almost 500 miles. Within that time, I ended up falling madly in love with this vehicle! After familiarizing myself with the negative press, I went into the review with caution. However, I think it took me only an hour or two to wonder if my fellow journalists had even driven the Compass prior to writing an article regarding it.

I guess what brings me is that I think I've found my next vehicle. I have some great pics of the Compass, but I need 50 replies to post them. My review should be published tomorrow night, so maybe I can just add a link so everyone can view the pics.

In the meantime, can someone elaborate on why the Compass was so poorly received by the press? Not since the Pontiac Aztek have I seen such a flurry of negativity.

Unread 12-14-2006, 04:59 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Michelle,

Of course you're welcome here, glad to have you!

My speculations on the negative reviews: it doesn't look like the classic Jeep, it's not trail rated, not all of them are 4WD and even that's only high range, no solid axles, plastic interior and until you get used to it the CVT feels slow off the line.

In other words, it didn't meet THEIR expectations of what THEY thought a Jeep should be. Theirs was a preconceived notion and the Compass took the hit for their "baggage" that they took with them on the ride.

You could always become a supporting member, take it off income taxes and post your pictures.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 12-14-2006 at 05:52 AM..
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

nice to see a possible new owner, please post the pics,................... purchased a compass in oct, still waiting(tired of waiting really).....in order to fit a vehicle in my garage, i looked at a lot of them online, rav 4, crv etc(all to long to fit in my garage, on the side with the stairs anyway)....finally narrowed it down to two suvs(in order for me to even consider a potential suv, it needed to have the following four things to start, traction and stability control and multiple airbags and AWd/ 4X4)),.....so, it came down to the honda element and the jeep compass, test drove both, the element i thought was a little quicker and more cargo room, the compass, looked better to me , inside and out, plenty of cargo room for me, and much more comfortable etc(thought it was a tad slow and blind spot looking out back/backside was kinda bad).....but i can get use to both(took it up on the highway, felt like i was going slow, looked at speedo said i was doing 72mph so....)..........for me anyway, i could care less that the compass isnt a "true jeep", whatever that means, in the end, i got a much better deal on the compass and overall like it much better than the element, so now i sit here waiting for my jeep compass sport 4X4

Last edited by echocat22; 12-14-2006 at 08:21 PM..
echocat22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #4
Kev M
2012 WK 

Welcome Michelle...

Ironically when I bought my first Jeep ever it was a new WJ I ordered after returning a Limited Quadra-Drive GC to the DC (then just C I think) press fleet.

Ironically after a week of driving it I just HAD to have one (which was weird for me, cause I was normally another one of those jaded moto-journalists).

Honestly in the case of the Compass I think a lot of journalists forget the market segment it is supposed to compete in and complain because it doesn't have more power (conveniently forgetting the mileage) or isn't as fancy as some other vehicles that have as many options (conveniently forgetting the great price).

Screw-em, they're just pandering to their advertisers or some lofty moto-gods.

Kev
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
phil8400

Gramps is bang on in his speculations.
I have yet to read a negative review of the Compass based solely on the vehicle itself rather than the "it's not a real Jeep" jargon. The only negative assessment I can agree with is the "cheap plastic" that many mention...but hey, if you want to see cheap plastic, take a look at the RAV4, the Escape and the Chev Equinox. Bah. The Compass's interior has been called "plain", but for my money, I'll take that any day over the RAV4's StarShip cockpit.
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2006, 02:17 AM   #6
Michelle_W

Thanks for the welcome.

My review tends to follow Grandpa's sentiments. I honestly felt that this vehicle was being unfairly compared to what everyone else knows and loves about the Jeep they're accustomed to. I'm not sure if it's ignorance or unwillingness to accept change, but whatever the case may be, the Compass is getting all kinds of negative press for everything it isn't, rather than everything it IS.

My approach was a little unique. I wrote down EVERY concern that was echoed in most (if not all) of 12 random reviews I pulled off the internet and out of some choice publications. I pretty much memorized the "trouble areas", and put a heavy focus on them. After the test period, I found that not ONE of those claims had even an ounce of validity.

I plan on writing a bio for the site that features my articles. For some reason, I feel inclined to disclose the fact that I am a former assembly line worker or "vehicle assembly tech" (I guess that's how you're supposed to make it sound like a classy occupation, LOL). This vehicle alone warrants that revelation due to the fact that each article had some little snide remark about "gaps in the trim panels". My job consisted of installing the kick panel, skid plate, and a portion of the dash in another smallish SUV. I can assure you that the Jeep is of much higher quality than those that I helped to assemble.

Can someone tell this newbie how to become a "supporting member"?
Unread 12-15-2006, 04:57 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_W
Thanks for the welcome.

Can someone tell this newbie how to become a "supporting member"?

Just go to the top of your main page where the ANNOUNCEMENTS are, it says "Upgrade your account, yada, yada" just click on that and follow the directions. Piece o' cake!

or

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/annou...t.php?f=98&a=5

Unread 12-15-2006, 07:24 AM   #8
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

I look forward to reading your review.
g3cko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

me too
echocat22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Ditto from me!

Unread 12-21-2006, 01:42 AM   #11
Michelle_W

Thanks again, everyone!

The review is now available:

http://www.carsandtrucksforwomen.com...2_articleid=11
Unread 12-21-2006, 05:15 AM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks Michelle!

That's got to be the most favorable review that I've seen. Thanks for testing the Compass for what it is and not what it isn't. You wouldn't test a Rolls on the Rubicon either. My only disappointment was that you didn't get better gas mileage than you did, but you got what you got and that's just being honest, no faulting you for that!!

Also thanks for putting the "What Compass Owners Are Saying" link back to us, that was really cool . I hope that you get one of your own, but even if not, ya'll come back and see us, ya' hear!

Last edited by Gramps; 12-21-2006 at 06:02 AM..
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #13
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

This is definitely a good write up. Congrats.
g3cko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #14
phil8400

Great review. Well done.
PS: The BA system really is that great
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
Great review. Well done.
PS: The BA system really is that great

HEY! I was gonna say that! "It's not too loud unless it's distorted" Cerwin-Vega

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.