Just bought an 08 Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Just bought an 08 Patriot

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
2008patriot

Just bought an 08 Patriot

Well, I finally got a new car. My 1997 Pontiac POS is sitting collecting rust now (who would buy that klunker)

Firgured I would tell my tale and my experience so far.

I tried internet buying. I thought it would be a cool way to avoid the hassle and get a good deal.

It was just as frustrating. I would say if you are going to do it, and want that incredible price, be ready to send a lot of emails over a period of a month.

The answers via email were vague, and just like in the dealership as soon as you threw an offer at them they would not email you back for an hour.

3 dealerships kept messing with me, so I said 'bye' online and dealt with last two.

I finally ending up getting a fairly decent 4x2 with the 172hp engine, auto. (living in south florida no reason for 4x4, but I wanted it!)

They priced it at 20,230 or some odd number like that. After a day online and on phone I was getting them down but finally decided to just agree to their 'out the door price' of 17,500. That was all fees and everything.

I think the base on it was like 15,580 (which by the way is the magic invoice). They kept coming down but I just wanted one that day (stupid me) and I think the 'out the door' would have been better over time (with 2,500 in rebates staring at me...and it was the 30th, and on the 1st the rebates would be gone...I just had to get it)

So..online is just as frustrating, but okay if you have lots of time and do not talk to them on the phone...and do not send a ton of mails, give no info. Get the best deal you can.

Okay...so I got it.

I had went to one of those online car loan places and got the best deal I could. When I walked into the dealership I had a check in hand. It still took quite a while from walking in to driving out as a lot of papaerwork has to be done (they did not do it til I got there, and some of it they could not do til I got there).

The guy tried the 'patriot act' bull on me. I told him I do a political news site and unless he wanted me to write about the dealership and their bogus patriot act junk, he should just shut up (yes, I told him that). The finance manager tried three times to get me to finance through him. I had to tell him to stop or I would leave.

My insurance company kept trying to sell me GAAP insurance, the manager tried, the finance guy tried. I just shook my head and looked at them and said 'guys, come on, really, nice try.' and they finally stopped.

The manager shook my hand with that 'pull towards him motion' and I had to laugh (I am 6'4" and he was like 5'3"). Not sure what he was trying to do, maybe hit on me, but the deal was done already, so that psychological move made no sense.

I did the mile test drive and it was fine. Got my stuff and drove away from the dealership. Not a horrible experience, much better than spending all day there.

Problems after sale - dealer lied when he said the cd player will play mp3 cds. My fault to not get in on that, but the fact is he lied. Now I have to spend money to get a real cd player. Not happy. They lied.

Next morning I did a check of the entire vehicle and read the manual.. The interior dome flashlight was missing. Sent emails to each salesperson involved and two phone calls. No one will respond yet.

(florida has a 3 day right of recision, so I am sure they will respond soon, and since I got the same deal somewhere else, I can barter and get a mp3 cd player..but I would rather just get the dang light....)

The ride

I found the ride very comfortable. Very cool. The steering was not like my sports car and their was a need to pay more attention to keep it in the lane. Not much, but it was a noticeable difference.

Had 10 miles when I started and 70 when I stopped. Sweet ride. No problems. Stock stero was okay, seats were comfortable.

I would say the rearview mirror is really small...and since i am tall, it is really far away from me. I have to bend forward quite a distance to play with it. Since I am so far out of the seat, I cannot visually adjust it. I have to adjust it, sit back and look, then lean forward and adjust again.

So, first day or two, how are my feelings?

I don't have much buyers remorse as I think I got an okay deal and did not have to endure the nightmare of being at the dealership and getting 'in the box'.

The ride is nice and high, the ride is comfortable, the ride is good. Everything works fine....and that new car smell. Ahhh. That jeep will never look as clean or smell as nice again..lol

Other things I would say are not so great in design.. The middle compartment between the seats.
It is very small and set waaaaaaaaay back from where you would normally see one. I am vry tall and I have the seat way back. I still have to reach to my right and lift back behind me to get into it.
This makes it a bit of a chore to ever go in there while driving, or if I keep gaining weight, ever being able to get in to it without getting out of the seat..lol

On top of it is a cell phone holder. Well, my treo barely fits in there, the charger won't really fit it while it is in there...and since I do not have the uconnect thing, I see no value in this at all. Not sure what they were thinking on it.

Cup holders everywhere. Everytime I looked somewhere to check out the interior there was a cup holder or two...or three...or four. Someone at the engineering plant must need to stop drinking coffee.

I got the brilliant black with the dark grey slate interior. I think it looks rather sharp indeed. I was surprised to not see the daylight running lights, I just assumed every car had that now...but I guess it is only for a certain package.

I like how the floormats have a rubber doo-hickey that keep them in place. I wonder how long those things last?

I am very tall but I must say the interior for the driver and passanger is humungous. I have a lot of room above my head and all around me. It is a weird experience for me in a vehicle, will take some getting used to, but it is cool.

At night, with the dash lights low, I felt like I was driving a mini hummer (my friend has a hummer e3)..it just reminded me of the experience a bit.

Its the first 4 cyl I have ever owned, but I feel no need to accelerate as driving it is pretty pleasureable, at least for now, and I am driving at slower speeds than I normally would.

Lot of safety features, and that is written about in online reviews. That is always a super bonus.

I would say, on the two day review and a night of driving......

Dealer experience: Not a nightmare in person, but very annoying through emails. They refused to ever put anything in writing and were increasingly vague.
Cost: A little higher than I wanted, but lower than the first 20 offers they made. $15,589.56 + ~600 in dealer fees bs + tax/tag/title work. Out the door price 17,496.
Driving experience: Very enjoyable
Interior: clean, organized. Rear view mirror is a joke.
Exterior: looks cool, gonna tint my side windows more though.
Extras: Spare is not a full size, bummer there. Dome light was missing. cd player will not play mp3 cds (I did not know they even made old cd players like that anymore).

Personally: Happy and okay with purchase. Hope it lasts 15 years or more.

Last edited by 2008patriot; 05-01-2008 at 08:19 AM..
2008patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
schoat333
2008 MK Patriot 

did you get the rebates on top of that price? im pretty sure there are still the factory rebates.
schoat333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
2008patriot

That was with a 500 and a 2000 rebate.
They put it into the pricing.

I do not know how low I could have got it..probably much lower, but I got it close the the invoice and for me, that is something new...lol
Unread 05-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

I don't know...I went into the dealer, told him I was interested in the Compass, told him what features I wanted and what my finacial requirements were. They didn't have what I wanted, but found it, beat the price and offered me 500 more trade on my POS than any other dealer (Honda, Toyota, Chevy). While I wouldn't say I got a incredible deal, it was a better deal than I expected, no hassle to get it (first offer) and they simply asked if I was interested in extended warranty, etc and I said no. I financed myself through the local credit Union, got 4.5% and a home equity tie in...meaning under current Iowa tax law, I can deduct some of the interest. I got the 500/2000 as well.

Of course, then it took four weeks for my car to get here (it had been factory ordered by the dealer about 2 weeks before I bought it...)!
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
UTAH

Good write-up.

Bill
Unread 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
2008patriot

Now that I have had it for a week, a follow up.

Not too noisey running, but not the quietest either, but for the price, hey.
AC works fine even with the huge interior.

The seat is so far back that when I look to my left I am staring at the metal bar between back and front door. Scary for a side impact even with the air bags. That is my temple that will go right into the seatbelt connector, instant death. Not happy about that, but as a tall person you learn that a side impact and your head in the window will never happen. I just hoped by 2008 at least one car designer would have thought of somthing.

On the 'tall' thing. The headrests are never set for tall people. Oh, they move up...but not high enough to matter. Another bummer, but one probably all cars share too.

The cruise control ahs not been used yet, but it is located on the steering wheel itself. Thus when you turn, the control moves around with it. So far my fingers have connected with it every single time making a left turn (as the steering wheel slides back to position)....and that connection is not light, sometimes it is a very hard connection and almost always makes the controller move into a position that would make it do something if it was on.

This should have been mounted on the column, not the wheel itself. Bad design for me.

On resale.
So far seen a lot of used 07s and 08s and all seem priced at the going rate for new one. Not sure if they are selling (or why anyone would buy a used one when they could get a new one for the same price) but it does seem reassuring to know the vehicle may hold its value well.

Everything is fine though, great ride.

well...

I gotta go on the seat pushed back for us tall people.
When I say that bar is to my side, I really mean it. When I am at an intersection and I want to look to my left to watch for cars I can do one of two things.

1- lean back a little bit and look around the door divider to look for cars

2-or lean forward and then look for cars.

What I do depends on if I am making a right or a left.

Imagine looking to your left when driving and instead of seeing the car next to you, you see the door post beside you blocking your view tremendously.

As a driver, that is a real bad blindspot. And I do kinda have to lean forward looking to the right too, as it is also blocking it.

It is a major safety concern and I may have to learn to drive with my legs scrunched up as moving the seat much further forward is the only option.

Engineers take note....that blindside will cause someone to get blindsided one day. I foresee a lawsuit about that in Jeeps future.

Done reporting on the jeep patriot, now to get my first 500 miles on it done...who hoo, see ya on the roads.... (unless you are driving on my left in which case I won't see you_)
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #7
TMan2
2008 MK Patriot 

Jeep claims the CD Player plays MP-3s. So I wouldn't say the dealer lied. Could it be just how you burned the CD? I know some CD players are pretty finiky about formating.
TMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 05:18 AM   #8
2008patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan2 View Post
Jeep claims the CD Player plays MP-3s. So I wouldn't say the dealer lied. Could it be just how you burned the CD? I know some CD players are pretty finiky about formating.

Nope, the 6cd player does play mp3 cds, the stock one does not play mp3 cds...I have many and none work in it, err.

It does have a jack for an aux item like an mp3 player, but I do not have one (I have mp3 cds, I'm old..lol)

THey lied.
They said it had it and then during the drive and at the table they admitted they did not know for sure...this was as the paperwork was being done.
Since they never put it in writing, they got me.
When I tried pressuring them on it they started saying vague things and going away and leaving me for a while. Then cming back and throwing paperwork and questions in front of me...so I kept getting it out of my mind until I was in and driving home.

They lied and they got me..Now I have to buy a new stereo and that is a big bummer. It is my fault for not holding them to it, but I do not buy cars everyday, so their tactics do befuddle me.
Unread 05-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

the cruise control moving with the wheel is by design, you are supposed to drive now with your hands at the "4 and 8 o'clock" (in the space between the spokes) instead of the old school "10 and 2 o'clock" positions so that if the airbag goes off in a collision your hands will be in the proper position for the airbag to deploy effectively. you will also always have all controls reachable buy your fingers without having to take your hands off the wheel even during most turns.

the dealer should of known about the stock player not playing MP3 CDs - as you now know only the 6 disc changer does that. but MP3 players are pretty cheap nowadays so you might just look into that although if you have steering wheel audio controls they obviously wont work with an external MP3 player.

I put blind spot mirrors on all my vehicles and the patriots big mirrors allow some good sized ones. but it does have some blind spots, thats for sure.
Unread 05-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008patriot View Post
The seat is so far back that when I look to my left I am staring at the metal bar between back and front door. Scary for a side impact even with the air bags. That is my temple that will go right into the seatbelt connector, instant death. Not happy about that, but as a tall person you learn that a side impact and your head in the window will never happen. I just hoped by 2008 at least one car designer would have thought of somthing.
Curtain air bags should handle that issue. I'm 6'1" and don't have to go back nearly that far. You must have extremely long legs.

Quote:
On the 'tall' thing. The headrests are never set for tall people. Oh, they move up...but not high enough to matter. Another bummer, but one probably all cars share too.
Try adjusting the rear of the seat more upright, and lower the seat itself if you can. (Works great for me in that regard.)

Quote:
The cruise control ahs not been used yet, but it is located on the steering wheel itself. Thus when you turn, the control moves around with it. So far my fingers have connected with it every single time making a left turn (as the steering wheel slides back to position)....and that connection is not light, sometimes it is a very hard connection and almost always makes the controller move into a position that would make it do something if it was on.
It's never been an issue, but I've loved it being there and like it more than on the steering wheel itself (on the front.)

Quote:
Imagine looking to your left when driving and instead of seeing the car next to you, you see the door post beside you blocking your view tremendously.

As a driver, that is a real bad blindspot. And I do kinda have to lean forward looking to the right too, as it is also blocking it.

It is a major safety concern and I may have to learn to drive with my legs scrunched up as moving the seat much further forward is the only option.

Engineers take note....that blindside will cause someone to get blindsided one day. I foresee a lawsuit about that in Jeeps future.
I have to continue to be honest. If this is a problem because you are so tall, you should not have purchased this vehicle. You've willingly picked up something that obviously hinders your driving. Jeep, like other manufacturers, build vehicles based on average weight and height. Designing for those extremely tall, may hinder for those who are quite short.

My post probably sounds defensive, but I'm just providing feedback on your feedback.

I know like anyone else here that not everything will be perfect. I ordered a dark gray interior, and my roof is practically white.
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.