Jeep Patriot w/foggy windows!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Jeep Patriot w/foggy windows!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
emo

Jeep Patriot w/foggy windows!!

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem but my windows are always fogging up unless I always have defrost on!! I had a 2004 Liberty and never had that problem in winter. It's really killing my gas mileage and driving me nuts. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Any suggestions would be great. I need to go in for my first oil change and would like to be able to tell the dealer what to look for.

Other than that I love my Patriot and it's been great in the snow...even better than my Liberty was!!

emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
eeyun

Could it be off-gassing from the interior plastics?
eeyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
unclejjg

I'd check to see if there is a leak in your vehicle. Some members on another Patriot board are mentioning this quite often.

It might explain why you are experiencing more moisture, causing the fog, in your vehicle.
unclejjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Is it similar to mistyfate's problem or only foggy?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/jeep-compass-windshield-condensation-311834/

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
emo

Thanks for the link. I just looked at misty's problem but mine doesn't happen when it's sitting it's more when i'm in it and driving. If I have a passenger it's a lot worse. The only way I can kind of control it is if I have defrost on hot and a high speed. I just can't figure out why I can't just have the heat on without using defrost. It's really weird because it starts with the side windows and gradually creeps onto the windshield.
Unread 12-13-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo
Thanks for the link. I just looked at misty's problem but mine doesn't happen when it's sitting it's more when i'm in it and driving. If I have a passenger it's a lot worse. The only way I can kind of control it is if I have defrost on hot and a high speed. I just can't figure out why I can't just have the heat on without using defrost. It's really weird because it starts with the side windows and gradually creeps onto the windshield.
You might want to have the vehicle checked to make sure that when in defrost mode the air conditioner is being activated. The A/C is used to remove moisture from the cabin in defrost mode in almost all new cars these days. From the way you describe the problem that's the first thing I'd have the dealer check, second would be that the heater box is allowing fresh air into the car and is not stuck in recirculate mode.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I was thinking about the "stuck in recirculation" mode, too. Glad that you thought of the A/C, I had forgotten about that.

Unread 12-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
Jeepster55

my guess is the 'recirculate' button too.....on our trip to KC over Thanksgiving weekend, i noticed that the button had gotten pushed in a couple of times, inadvertently i guess. i've NEVER used a recirculate button on any car i've had for that very reason; FOGGING. also, the button has a light next to it that is suppose to come on when depressed, but mine didn't......interesting.

check out your recirculate button first.....that's where i'm putting MY money!
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
emo

Okay thanks I'll check into that. I really appreciate all the advice!! I don't think I've ever even pushed the recirculate button since I've had this vehicle.

I did have a problem when I first got in with wet carpet in the back passenger by the door. They ended up taking apart my whole vehicle and found a plug was missing and even took out all the a/c parts to see if they were leaking. Chrysler had to come out and everything. They had my car for 13 days because they ended up ordering me new carpet and it was on backorder. At least the dealer paid for a rental car!!

They could've messed something up when they put it back together I guess. I'll let you know what I find out.
Unread 12-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
Matthew1785

if you have your car on defrost during the winter you lose gas milage?? i thought it was just heat?
Matthew1785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew1785
if you have your car on defrost during the winter you lose gas milage?? i thought it was just heat?
no, actually with the 'defrost' on, your a/c compressor kicks on to help keep your windows from fogging. obviously, when your compressor is engaged, it's an added load on your engine and therefore drops your MPG.
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew1785
if you have your car on defrost during the winter you lose gas mileage?? i thought it was just heat?
The compressor runs when you have the defrost on so that 1. you dry out the air inside and 2. you don't have major A/C work to do come Spring/Summer because you didn't run the system once a month like your supposed to do. These new A/C systems don't draw nearly the HP that the old ones did. Even turning it on full blast in the summer is as close to negligible as you can get as far as losing any power is concerned. When you've had yours through the Summer you'll see what we mean.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.