Jeep Patriot pulls Right - NEED HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Jeep Patriot pulls Right - NEED HELP!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
JeepPatGirl

Jeep Patriot pulls Right - NEED HELP!

I am getting desperate here!
First off, yes I'm new to the forum, so HELLO EVERYONE!

I purchased my 2007 Patriot in July of '07. Everything was great, except about a month after I bought it, it began pulling to the right. Since I had to travel an hour away to where I bought it, I thought I could take it to the Jeep Dealer 10 minutes from my house. What a mistake!! They ended up telling me it was the crown of the road and that no pull was felt. Well, I ended up writing down the milage when I dropped it off and checked it out when I picked it up, not even a mile difference! Enough to drive it from the parking spot, to the garage (if that) and back to the parking spot.
About 3 days later I decided to drive the hour to where I bought it. They had it over night, and I had to come back the next day to pick it up and it was fixed! They adjusted the toe, and said that they centered the steering wheel. Also check the tire pressure and sensors. "It was fixed! YAY!!!" and then I thought this was over.
NOPE!!!
It lasted for about 5 months, then it began again. So I thought it was just from driving it. I had to take it in to get an oil change, and have my clutch pedal looked at also because it would make a "squeak" or "grinding" sound (best way I can discribe it) so I also had them do an alignment and hopefully it would be fixed. No! They said they adjusted the toe, and centered the steering wheel because it was to the left. They also checked the tire pressure, everything was good. It was still very noticable! I took it back to have the clutch pedal assembly replaced, and it still is making the same sound! Then I had to take it back to have a Chysler Rep drive it and he coudln't even drive my manual!!!! What the hell? I mean, that's a little stupid if you ask me!

Took it to the dealership seven times, they had done everything. Alignment after alignment, X crossed the tires....didn't work. Crossed the front two tires...Jeep ended up pulling to the left because the tire was worn so bad, so they ended up giving me 4 brand new tires since they thought it was the tires.....NOPE! Still pulls.

This is so pathetic! I called AND emailed Jeep/Chysler and nothing was done. I am so mad at Jeep, and this dealership I am dealing with. The Service Advisor I am dealing with made me come back up the 7th time for an alignment because they "couldn't find" the specs from the other ones. Does anyone know if that is something they keep? I would imagine they would keep it on the computer, especially if a Jeep has been in there multiple times for the SAME PROBLEM!!!
They keep blaming it on the road crown, and I think they are doing it just to get a girl off of their backs!

Is anyone still having the same problem??
Sorry for my first post being a long one, I just want to know if anyone else is having a problem like this and I'm looking for advice!

I would appreciate ANY suggestions, or help!!!
Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I don't want all of these headaches either!!!!

Thanks!!!

Last edited by JeepPatGirl; 06-11-2008 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: added info
JeepPatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

All it takes is one really bad pot hole to knock out an alignment. Having said that, if the Jeep was put on an alignment rack and is properly in spec, I would assume that the problem is with one of the brakes.

If you have the EVIC, check the tire pressure while you are driving. If any tire is more than 2 lbs higher then the others (after 1/2 hour drive) then pull over and feel how hot the wheels are. If that wheel is hotter than the others, then it could be the brake assembly on that wheel dragging.

Alignment problems are hard to diagnose without the right equipment. With sports cars, the left to right alignment must be properly balanced or else the driver will notice it. On SUVs the alignment is usually a bit more forgiving but in the case of the MKs this might not be the case.

After they do an alignment, insist on seeing the alignment report. (You could also go to Town Fair Tire or any other shop with a decent alignment machine and pay to have them verify the alignment...)
Unread 06-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
JeepPatGirl

I am suppose to be hearing from them tomorrow to see what they decided. I did have someone take a look at the alignment and it is aligned right, everything seems to be good with it.
I would expect a Jeep Service Department to know what to look for, especially since it's been in so many times. If they are not looking at other things, they must be pretty stupid. But....the Chrysler Rep didn't even know how to drive my 5 speed, hmmm....makes me wonder.
JeepPatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

and the Compass' have been called Liberty's too. Just something to eliminate is wheel problems. Have them rotate the tires to see if it cures the problem. Could be a bent/bad rim or bad tire.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

I had the same problem with my pt cruiser only it was from the day I bought it. I had it in at the dealer I bought it from several times for "pulling to the right". I was told all of the same things. "crown of the road, my imagination, even "its supposed to do that! " ect ect. The only way I got it fixed was to go to another alignment shop and they ended up replacing the stock tires with top of the line Michlens that Chrysler paid for. It would still do it evey time I change to my winter tires, so I would have to move the tires around on the car until I got it right, then repeat the same thing in the spring. Its permanently fixed now though after it was written off in a car accident. The dealership I bought it from didn't get my business when I bought the Compass.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Man, thats a rough way to fix a problem! Sorry for your loss but glad you're here!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Man, thats a rough way to fix a problem! Sorry for your loss but glad you're here!
Yeah, thats for sure! But I'm happier with the Compass. I think they came out about a week after I bought the PT Cruiser. I did look at the Caliber but didn't like it that much.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
deepnite10

its a problem with fwd cars..the right front is the drive wheel and it ll naturally pull in that direction..

my Patriot pulled also..had it aligned at les schwab..even after it continued to pull..since their alignments are guaranteed i took it back again..after it was much better, yet still pulled right..

as a matter of experimenting..i set the tires at 36psi..all except the right front..that i set at 35psi..that seem d to have solved the problem..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepnite10 View Post
its a problem with fwd cars..the right front is the drive wheel and it ll naturally pull in that direction..

my Patriot pulled also..had it aligned at les schwab..even after it continued to pull..since their alignments are guaranteed i took it back again..after it was much better, yet still pulled right..

as a matter of experimenting..i set the tires at 36psi..all except the right front..that i set at 35psi..that seem d to have solved the problem..
Correct,it's called torque steer.
Unread 04-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

My Compass is doing the same thing but i haven't taken it in yet. I am in college right now, and take 800 mile trips home. The last trip I took i noticed the steering wheel was turned to the left and it was pulling to the right. I haven't taken the car in for an alignment because it isn't cutting tires at all. I also didn't know if it would be under warranty. So is it under warranty?
bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
deepnite10

usually within 12,000 miles they warrant any adjustments that have to be made..after that its just treated as a wear and tare issue..

its seems like the alignment is never *just right*..after driving a hundred miles on a new alignment you can take it into another shop and they ll tell you its off..of course, if you go back into the shop that did it in the first place they ll say its OK..

i suggest that you get a gurantee d alignment..and if still pull s , most likely it will, take it back in and tell the problem still persist.. les schwab redid mine and came back and said they made all the adjustments they could do but, would still pull slightly..

this would be a good time to run a lower psi in the *left front tire..which will cause to the car to pull a little to left..you can experiment with a few different psi s and hopefully you ll get it to a point where car will run relatively straight..
*made a mistake in previous post..i meant that the tire preasure in the left
front tire should be 1 psi less than the others..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseblfrk09 View Post
My Compass is doing the same thing but i haven't taken it in yet. I am in college right now, and take 800 mile trips home. The last trip I took i noticed the steering wheel was turned to the left and it was pulling to the right. I haven't taken the car in for an alignment because it isn't cutting tires at all. I also didn't know if it would be under warranty. So is it under warranty?
Alignments are not part of the warranty unless a part was replaced under warranty that requires a alignment after replacement(rack&pinion steering gear is one item that requires a alignment).

I've done many alignments on brand new vehicles(less then 100miles) and they all have been out of alignment.Each vehicle has a certain range that the caster,camber,and toe can be off center,as long(for the most part) as all are in the "green" your good.You can still have tire wear and pulling even if the alignment is within the OEM specs. Some vehicles you can adjust camber.caster,and toe but not all will have all the same adjustments,some you can only set front toe and that is it.
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

That's good to know. That means I can let my buddy take it in to his school and let them do it for free and I won't feel bad about it. I am sure it is out because like I said the wheel is tilted to the left and it is less responsive when I turn it to the left
bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
alignment , compass , patriot , steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.