Jeep Patriot and my lemon law diatribe - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Jeep Patriot and my lemon law diatribe

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 07-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Patriot and my lemon law diatribe

I bought a 2012 Patriot Latitude for the wife a couple years ago. From the first oil change I complained the rear brakes squealed, to varying degrees, with every stop. The dealership said Chrysler knows about the problem and there is no fix. I continued to complain with every oil change about the brakes and they reportedly changed pads and rotors twice but the squeal was still there. Sometimes barely audible and sometimes sounding like a 72 International Semi. It was to the point pedestrians on the street would turn and look at us. Finally made a complaint to Jeep about the problem and got the usual, keep us posted with any further problems. So I did.. Then I was on my way home from Vegas, it was about 110 and the transmission overheating light came on. The vehicle would not shift and I had to stop and wait about a half hour for the tranny to cool down. This occurred on two occasions and I reported this problem to Chrysler. They upgraded my status and gave me a case worker, who is very nice, and told me to take it to the dealership where they put aftermarket rotors and pads on. The Service Tech told me there was nothing he could do for the transmission overheating as Chrysler does not have a fix for it and it is a well known problem, but I could come pick up my Patriot. I arrived and he handed me page 65 of the owners manual and said the transmission light was a safety feature for when you are hauling a heavy load. I told him I wasn't hauling anything. He said, "well when the transmission is under a heavy load the light lets you know it is overheating and you need to stop." I asked him if he was aware my vehicle did not have a hitch and I was not hauling a heavy load, unless he is calling my wife fat. He said well that is a safety feature. I didn't wish to listen to anymore of his stupidity and walked away. I'm waiting on my case worker to call me back, hopefully tomorrow, so I can report my latest contact and find out if they are going to buy back the vehicle.

Anyone else having any of these problems with their Patriot?

Yellow Jeep Club Member [FONT="Century Gothic"]#196[/FONT]
polo196 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Going through the mountains in 110 degree heat,with the AC on is putting the engine under a "heavy load",well at least for a small 4 cylinder engine.

Noise from brakes can be 100% normal.I know of a few manufacturers that have TSB's about brake noise and if all else fails it's "normal" and not be worried about.As long as it's not grinding who cares.
Unread 07-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No mountains in between, at least in the section I was in. Mostly flat grades up and down for miles.
Unread 07-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

change your transmission fluid no idea how many miles you have on it, but there is a good chance the fluid is too low or too high or is burned up. The CVT is as reliable as any other transmission but that doesn't mean that there isn't a bad one every now and then. BUT short of a major failure it seems that most problems are caused by fluid issues and then fixed by correcting the fluid. Dealer charges an arm and a leg for it. I would find a nissan/suzuki dealer as half of their cars us the exact same cvt or a shop that specializes in nissans and see what they charge for the same fluid change.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Only 27,000. I'm not paying for anything on this vehicle's problems, it's still under warranty.
Unread 07-31-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo196 View Post
Only 27,000. I'm not paying for anything on this vehicle's problems, it's still under warranty.
Routine maintenance,and yes this would be routine maintenance since you should replace the trans fluid when overheated, is not covered under any warranty.
Unread 07-31-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's a really dumb attitude honestly. transmission fluid is a maintenance item, get it taken care of and forget about it, it will most likely fix your problems and you can go along on your way.
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I cannot fully express how done I am dealing with this vehicle and the run around and lies I have been told by the dealership.
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:59 PM   #9
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Lying dealerships have no bearing on the lemon law, and at least in my state the lemon law requires that a vehicle be serviced for exactly the same issue 3 times before you even get that ball rolling, different issues don't qualify.

If the dealership is lying to you, mail your attorney general, send a copy of your complaint to the dealership owner. Include only verifiable facts, if you don't have everything in writing, or recorded start doing that. Include that documentation when dealing with the attorney general. DO NOT INCLUDE EMOTIONS OR HE SAID/SHE SAID WORDING IN YOUR LETTER! They just make you sound whiny. Facts facts facts. .

Also contact jeepcares. I know he is active on the jeep patriot forum I think i have seen him here as well, get Chrysler involved if you are having issues with a dealer. You can call them too. They can and do get to the bottom of dealers relations with customers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 08-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Same issue 5 times. The ball is about to drop.
Unread 08-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Same issue 5 times. The ball is about to drop.
Your past that with how old it is and the mileage plus brake noise is not really a lemon law type of thing considering the brakes have been out of warranty for a long time(only have 12 month/12,000 mile warranty).You need a major issue not something petty like a noise.
Unread 08-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I guess I cannot fully express how done I am dealing with this vehicle and the run around and lies I have been told by the dealership.
Go to another Dealership. Not all of them are a-holes.
- 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountian Edition - gone
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #13
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
That's a really dumb attitude honestly. transmission fluid is a maintenance item, get it taken care of and forget about it, it will most likely fix your problems and you can go along on your way.
If it were mine and I lived in the desert or anywhere temps get over 100 degrees I would install an Auxiliary Transmissions Oil Cooler. You can get a transmission cooler for under $50 and they are very, very easy to install. Simply attach to the front of your radiator with plastic ties, then splice into the transmission cooler lines (at the fitting of course), add the recommend amount of tranny fluid and your done! No more overheating plus added PEACE OF MIND.

Hayden Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler
Sale Price: $29.63
Quantity:
(21) In Stock
Part Number: 118686-07027039
Notes: Trans Oil Cooler -- Economy Tube and Fin Cooler Light Duty; Size - 5 x 12 1/2
Condition: New

Shipping Options:
Ground

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/201...il_cooler.html

Unread 08-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

As far as the read brakes are concerned, I would simply change out the pads to a NON-OEM style. Again, under $35 for the SET. The pad material is CRITICAL to noise. Some are notorious for squealing.

I won't do the research for you but I suggest you Google around and find out what types do NOT squeal.

Here's a head start for you.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/201...e_pad_set.html

Also, you mentioned the Lemon Laws. The laws vary State to State. The MAIN theme of the Lemon Law in ANY State is that the vehicle's issue MUST the SAME issue and the Dealership typically gets (3) chances to resolve the issue. NOT (3) different different issues. That's not how it works.

I would NOT recommend being stubborn and not fixing this INEXPENSIVE items over a matter of PRINCIPLE.

Some times in life we MUST compromise. That's something the Extremists in Congress FAIL to realize! LOL!
Unread 08-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #15
frankensled

On the rear brakes the top pin can't be removed because it is a shouldered bolt. I had to disconnect the line and pull(hammer) it out. It was dryer than a popcorn fart. Auto shops just pull the bottom and turn the caliper up to remove the pads and never grease the top. I did this and rear brakes are perfect no squeak or squeal.
frankensled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.