Jeep patriot fwd to 4x4 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Jeep patriot fwd to 4x4

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 12-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_jeep View Post
Lets say that I have a 4x4 patriot that was in a rollover accident... so instead of trying to convince me to get rid of it and buy something else... lets play with the idea.

So the computer would have to be reflashed?
there's no playing with it. it's not going to happen. you would have to swap out literally every electrical component from one jeep to the other, plus the drivetrain, and that assumes that your FWD jeep has the 2.0 and not the 2.4. we're not just trying to convince you to do something you don't want to do. we are cut from the same cloth. everyone told me that swapping my mustang from an auto to a manual was unrealistic and I should have just bought a manual. well, two years ago I did the swap and i'm glad I did. but in this case, you're being totally unrealistic. you'll wind up spending tens of thousands of dollars and wind up with a hacked up job not worth much to anyone. sell the FWD (since you claim you got it cheap, you may be able to make a buck on it) and get the 4WD model you really want.

IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #17
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

When I bought mine, I made sure I bought one with the FDII package. I just knew that anything less than that, and I would be wanting to switch stuff out... That's something I learned a long time ago, buy exactly what you want the first time, even if it costs a little bit more, otherwise you'll spend TONS trying to make it what you wanted to begin with.
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

This is one of the most common questions sent in to truck/jeep/4wd magazines, and also very common on forums. The answer is always the same.

Can you? Probably, almost anything can be done to a vehicle if you have the time, money, and know how.

Should you? Probably not. It would almost always be cheaper to trade in the vehicle and buy one that is 4wd.

Now let's say hypothetically you didn't care about money, common sense, or wasting huge amounts of time, and you wanted to do this project just to prove you can.

In that case I would start asking around local shops about how much they would charge and what was involved. You are not likely to find a how to or advice from anyone who has done this because it probably hasn't been done before.
MikeHoncho88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
They can't re-flash your PCM with programs not specified for VIN unless it's a accessory option that can be dealer installed like DRL's,cruise control,or OE remote start as they are not VIN specified options.
Inaccurate. Sometimes BCM's and the like do not have the options needed BUT you can just get the right BCM and it can be programmed to work in your vehicle.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
Inaccurate. Sometimes BCM's and the like do not have the options needed BUT you can just get the right BCM and it can be programmed to work in your vehicle.
correct, but these cars are much more electrically controlled than you think. I would bet that almost every electrical component in the car, down to the radio, would need to be swapped. setting aside the cost of the OP's FWD mistake...er...purchase, I would be extremely surprised if he spent less than $15,000 on a 4WD swap where everything in the car is 100% functional, and i'm being conservative. this isn't an old CJ-7 where you can play mix-and-match with drivetrain parts, this is a modern vehicle with literally hundreds of electrical components that all need to work together properly for any one part of the car to work. this simply isn't a realistic project.
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #21
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Talking about dealerships,not some hack job.They will not just program in a VIN for the hell of it when that VIN and computer part # don't belong together.
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #22
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
correct, but these cars are much more electrically controlled than you think. I would bet that almost every electrical component in the car, down to the radio, would need to be swapped. setting aside the cost of the OP's FWD mistake...er...purchase, I would be extremely surprised if he spent less than $15,000 on a 4WD swap where everything in the car is 100% functional, and i'm being conservative. this isn't an old CJ-7 where you can play mix-and-match with drivetrain parts, this is a modern vehicle with literally hundreds of electrical components that all need to work together properly for any one part of the car to work. this simply isn't a realistic project.
I am not arguing that with you. I said it would cost WAY more to do than it is worth. I am simply saying these comments it can't be done due to electronics are false. I repeat it is way more hassle and way more expense than it is worth to do.
Active Drive I
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #23
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Talking about dealerships,not some hack job.They will not just program in a VIN for the hell of it when that VIN and computer part # don't belong together.
I am not talking about hacking either. The dealer absolutely will flash vehicles for new parts without a problem. Man you are really paranoid. They aren't going to flash a vehicle to allow a 2012+ radio( tied to VIN )to be used even though they actually can but a BCM or similar module is not something they will refuse to do. People buy used modules and controls all the time and have them installed.

It is possible( maybe ) for the OP to do what he asked about. It is just not practical as it would be way cheaper to just buy a 4WD to start with.
Active Drive I
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #24
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

I disagree NHPatriot. I seriously doubt a dealer will aid in the homemade hack job someone did on a Patriot to convert it to 4wd. They have certain liabilities and that would cross the line.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #25
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I am not talking about hacking either. The dealer absolutely will flash vehicles for new parts without a problem. Man you are really paranoid. They aren't going to flash a vehicle to allow a 2012+ radio( tied to VIN )to be used even though they actually can but a BCM or similar module is not something they will refuse to do. People buy used modules and controls all the time and have them installed.

It is possible( maybe ) for the OP to do what he asked about. It is just not practical as it would be way cheaper to just buy a 4WD to start with.
Yes they do but the same computers(part #) as the one removing.You must not have a clue how the programming of vehicles computers is actually done.Did a lot of it when I was working at a dealership.If using a new or even used they must re-print the VIN in and then they can only program options for that VIN,they can't just put in programs at will.
Unread 12-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #26
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:

he's right, a dealer won't, and can't, do it. the program that Chrysler dealers use aren't even set up to do what you're talking about. the program is not set up to flash the computer with equipment not relevant to the vin number being used. a complete electrical swap is the only option.
Unread 12-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #27
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

the only way i see this working FORGET the Jeep Ele. Its a nightmare with little support. The only way this is going to work, for the money is. SFA and SRA with I would by pass the jeep "brains" use a Gm standalone with 5.3 6L80 you build the long arms and you have a rock crawling Mk. Though it would be much cheaper to get a a older Cherokee.......................................... .......

Not worth the trouble to swap in the stock stuff. Now if you are building it to this a 2x4 one cheep is the way to start. But the real cost even if you could do the fab work could get you a new Jeep. But it wont be a V8 wk on a 14 bolt and a 60 front or what ever axles you go with. Would be bad to the bone
Unread 12-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Yes they do but the same computers(part #) as the one removing.You must not have a clue how the programming of vehicles computers is actually done.Did a lot of it when I was working at a dealership.If using a new or even used they must re-print the VIN in and then they can only program options for that VIN,they can't just put in programs at will.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I have worked at dealers and I know how programming works.

If a vehicle has a certain set of options available to it as long as you have the correct modules, controls, etc... it can be flashed to let them work. I am not saying to do it just that it is possible.

Lets use fog lights as an example. If your vehicle doesn't have them, but they are an option on a different trim level or something like that( available on your vehicle type is the point ), you can install them and then have the flash done to activate them. It may require a different control module that has the programming for fog's but it can be done( have to do that on my Brother's new Super Duty - needs the fog's and a BCM for it to work factory ). I added the factory fog lights and controls to a Chevy Equinox as there was no GM Accessories kit for it. I had to add a BCM as my Equinox didn't come with fog's and the BCM in my vehicle didn't have the fog light option. Got a BCM that allowed fog's and the dealer did the flash for me and everything worked. The same can be said for other features. Seen it and done it. The key is what you want to do has to be something available for that vehicle. You can't add things never available to the vehicle. The OP wants to add 4WD. The Patriot comes in 4WD so if he added everything required it is "possible" the dealer could do the required flashes/activations to make it all work.

Now, it is possible that on a Patriot the 4WD stuff couldn't be added. Some vehicles allow for things that others don't. Like the way the Patriot is so limited for tire size changes with a flash. Other Chrysler vehicles can have a flash done using the tire dimensions and rev rate of the tire. Some vehicles seem more modifiable than others. It is also a very real possibility the dealer wouldn't be willing to do it. I am not saying anything other than I believe it may be possible to do it.

To say it can't be done as a blanket statement is just flat out wrong because it implies nothing an be done on any vehicle. Again, I am not advocating this be done by the OP. I have said repeatedly I would not do it. I do not believe it is 100% certain though that it can not be done. I would wager with enough money and time it could be.

I will say that your claims nothing can be done that isn't tied to the VIN( i.e. stock configuration )is just foolish though. You seem to be the one who doesn't know as much as you think about the programming.
Active Drive I
Unread 12-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #29
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWJEEPER View Post
I disagree NHPatriot. I seriously doubt a dealer will aid in the homemade hack job someone did on a Patriot to convert it to 4wd. They have certain liabilities and that would cross the line.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
For the 1 millionth time for those who can't read I am simply talking about the possibility of it being done not that anyone should do it or that a dealer actually would be willing to do it. This is a hypothetical situation. The argument is can it be done or not. Good lord!
Active Drive I
Unread 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
he's right, a dealer won't, and can't, do it. the program that Chrysler dealers use aren't even set up to do what you're talking about. the program is not set up to flash the computer with equipment not relevant to the vin number being used. a complete electrical swap is the only option.
Correct. The OP would have to swap all the controls, modules, wiring, sensors, etc... and such over. Never said otherwise.
Active Drive I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.