JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Jeep patriot abs,4wd,esp,Trac control lights on after replacing rear wheel bearing (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/jeep-patriot-abs-4wd-esp-trac-control-lights-after-replacing-rear-wheel-bearing-1397236/)

Sedreg 07-24-2012 09:51 PM

Jeep patriot abs,4wd,esp,Trac control lights on after replacing rear wheel bearing

Vehicle is 2008 jeep patriot: After replacing a bad right rear wheel bearing (timken I believe) various dash lights came on (abs, traction control, ESP, 4wd), and these functions including cruise control do not work. These lights come on after driving over 20 mph and stay on, every time I drive. I have checked on this forum for answers and tried a few various things with no help, although nobody else's seemed to have occurred in exactly the same way (replacing REAR wheel bearing). Just tonight I tried replacing the speed sensor on the right rear thinking it was damaged during the wheel bearing installation, with no luck.

I am going insane, any help would be greatly appreciated. I even had to take it into the dealer hopeful for answers and they just did a quick scan (for arm and a leg) and said my wheel bearing needs replacing, when the one I just had put on was brand new and seems to work much better. I also have an aftermarket scanner with the code c1044.

Thanks again for all your help

FujativeOCR 07-24-2012 11:06 PM

I'd say it seems obvious it has something to do with that wheel speed sensor since all those lights are associated with that. Never done a job like that myself, but if you do the work yourself, I'd start over and do it again. Maybe something was overlooked.

ddavidv 07-25-2012 05:54 AM

C1044 is a code indicating a problem with the right rear 'tone wheel' or the ring that the wheel sensor reads. Additionally, the lights coming on after the vehicle is in motion also indicates a problem at the wheel and not upstream in the system. So, (and here comes the guesses on my part) either the tone wheel is damaged (unlikely on a new part) or you've got the wrong hub assembly/defective part. Does it look like this?
http://static.1aautoimages.com/parti...00158/main.JPG
I've not worked on something this new but it appears the pickup/tone ring is inside the hub and covered by the plastic bit. I'm guessing your wheel speed sensor plugs into the hole in the plastic cover. So there's nothing to see there, unlike the older designs.
If the part isn't compatible, such as it has a different number of 'teeth' on the tone ring or the ring isn't the correct diameter that particular wheel will get a speed reading that is different from the other 3 and the system won't recognize it.
2008 has some multiple choices: 2wd and 4wd are different, and depending on when it was made it may have a choice between disc and drum rear brakes. Though I wouldn't expect these parts to be interchangeable, you may want to confirm that the part you bought is correct for your vehicle.

JeepCares 07-25-2012 01:55 PM

from Jeep technical information:

C1044-RIGHT REAR TONE WHEEL PERFORMANCE

When Monitored:
With the ignition on.

Set Condition:
When the Anti-Lock Brake Module detects periodic drops of a Wheel Speed Sensor (WSS) signal.

Possible Causes
DIRTY TONE WHEEL/SENSOR
IMPROPER RIGHT REAR TIRE PRESSURE/MISMATCHED TIRES
AXLE SHAFT FASTENER HARDWARE
RIGHT REAR TONE WHEEL/BEARING DAMAGE

deezlfan 07-08-2013 07:51 PM

Get the part number off the box or invoice from the parts store. I'll wager a bucket of bent cotter pins they sold you the bearing for 4WD Without ABS and your new bearing does not have a tone wheel inside. Call the parts store and ask them spacifically if the bearing is for vehicals with ABS. That is what is setting off your codes and turning on the Christmas tree light display on your dash.

By the way, the bearing pictured above is obviously for Front Wheel Drive vehicles, as there is no way to install the CV shaft through it. The ABS sensor just pushes into a little metal clip on the back of the wheel bearing on the 4X4 bearing.

therondepew 08-13-2013 08:47 PM

Well I just did the same exact job to my 08 patriot and my 4x4! Light and esp light are coming on and I bought a cheap duralast hub. But what I believe it is , is the speed censor the clip that it goes into is very tight and the censor must be positioned directly in the center of the clip to allow the eye hole in the censor to read the hub as it spins. Im looking at my old hub an the clip on it is pulled out slightly further than the new duralast hub I bought. My recomendation is to pull the clip out slightly before installing the hub that way it will allow u to clip the censor in completely it must be pushed as far into the clip as possible. And then if the problem doesn't go away try adjusting the censor as the eye hole might not be aligned properly. An will u please let me know if this helps ?

tag1260 08-30-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therondepew (Post 15791411)
Well I just did the same exact job to my 08 patriot and my 4x4! Light and esp light are coming on and I bought a cheap duralast hub. But what I believe it is , is the speed censor the clip that it goes into is very tight and the censor must be positioned directly in the center of the clip to allow the eye hole in the censor to read the hub as it spins. Im looking at my old hub an the clip on it is pulled out slightly further than the new duralast hub I bought. My recomendation is to pull the clip out slightly before installing the hub that way it will allow u to clip the censor in completely it must be pushed as far into the clip as possible. And then if the problem doesn't go away try adjusting the censor as the eye hole might not be aligned properly. An will u please let me know if this helps ?

Ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem with the same bearing.
Thanks
Tag

therondepew 09-01-2013 10:13 AM

With the new hub its slightly more sensitive to fast acceleration . When I gas it from a dead stop it activates the esp. But the 4x4 light issue and vibration ive been chasing was the rear differential/transfer case assembly. What exactly r the issues your having an what have u done so far ?

therondepew 09-01-2013 10:21 AM

But adjusting the sensor seams to help alot. I would also recommend changing both rear hubs not just one since both sides have speed sensors it would make sence from the other side being old an wore out that the original hub and sensor might not be reading the same causing the dash lights to come on an esp , 4x4! to activate

tag1260 09-01-2013 12:36 PM

I fixed my problem by changing the bearing out for a different brand of bearing.

therondepew 09-02-2013 09:47 AM

Wich brand did u use first an wich did u change to

tag1260 09-02-2013 11:53 AM

I used a Duralast first and then went with the Timken. Mine may have been a fluke problem so I don't want to condemn the Duralast. I've had thing like this happen before with parts.

dtocks 11-02-2014 11:05 AM

Has anyone found a fix for this yet, besides changing to Timken bearings? I changed mine out using Duralast and now I have the warning light problem, and no cruise control. Also, is it an issue holding off on the repair until, I have time to do it again, or could it cause damage?

The time now is 07:27 AM.