Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep Patriot

28K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  chris 2 
#1 ·
You guys gonna do a Compass/Patriot section? they are the same vehicle and the Patriot is on the 2007 jeep webpage...

#4 ·
If you look on the Dodge website, they are coming out with the Nitro in the Fall, DCX is releasing a bunch of autos on this platform. My point? The Nitro has 3 engine options: 2.4L 4cyl (Patriot/Compass), the 3.7L V6 found in the liberty, and a new 4.0L V6 which is basically a bored and stroked 3.7L.

Why can't Jeep have the same engine options for the Patriot? It's basically the same platform and design. Why 3 engine options for the Dodge and not the Jeep? :brickwall I want a Patriot w/ the 4.0 :cool:

#5 ·
KingPrat said:
If you look on the Dodge website, they are coming out with the Nitro in the Fall, DCX is releasing a bunch of autos on this platform. My point? The Nitro has 3 engine options: 2.4L 4cyl (Patriot/Compass), the 3.7L V6 found in the liberty, and a new 4.0L V6 which is basically a bored and stroked 3.7L.

Why can't Jeep have the same engine options for the Patriot? It's basically the same platform and design. Why 3 engine options for the Dodge and not the Jeep? :brickwall I want a Patriot w/ the 4.0 :cool:
The only vehicles currently being produced on this plaform (called MK) are the Caliber, Compass, and Patriot.

Dodge Nitro -> derived from Liberty (http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/dodge/nitro.html)
2.4L 4cyl world engine -> not gonna be in the Nitro; never was, never will be in the Liberty
4.0L V6 -> Derived from 3.5L V6, which is in turn derived from the 3.8L V6 (http://www.allpar.com/mopar/38-40.html)

#8 ·
KingPrat said:
I want a Patriot w/ the 4.0 :cool:
Screw that, I wanna Patriot with a DIESEL and a traditional auto. I extensively drove a Caliber for the first time yesterday, and let's just say the CVT takes some getting used to.

These days my driving style is tailored to driving a diesel :)bowdown: all hail the CRD :bowdown: ) and the Caliber just sucked fuel trying to hold a hill @ 70 :D

#9 ·
pbrutsch said:
No, they're not. The only remnant of the Neon left is the PT Cruiser.

The Caliber/Compass/Patriot are on what started out as a Mitsubishi platform, heavily re-engineered by DCX.
the neon and pt platform are no where near the same !!! not even close! that is a huge misconception

#10 ·
coorsmgood said:
the neon and pt platform are no where near the same !!! not even close! that is a huge misconception
must be a very common one, there are more reputable websites online that say it shares the underpinnings of te first gen Neon then ones that say they dont (and yes there are a few that do say it's not the same). One thing that is known, they do share some mechanical parts and engines.

#11 ·
So how many think the 2.4 is going to last long? I believe the Patriot is heavier than the Caliber or Compass, so I don't think that little bugger will be able to keep up. Maybe they'll go to one of their many sixes, like the 2.7.

I still want to talk my dad into buying one. He's been driving mini vans since the 80's and it's about time he got a Jeep. I'll make sure he gets the locking t-case though...awd is not a jeep thing.

#12 ·
I made this forum since the Compass was available to order on jeep.com. the Patriot is still a few months away from that. If they are basically the same (sorry, I do not keep up with the new releases), I may consider just making this a COmpass/Patriot forum.

To be honest, I think I jumped the gun a little bit on this one. But it is already here so i don;t feel like removing it.

#13 ·
I love the look of the patriot so far. I have never driven a cvt before so i can't really speak on that, but in theory, it works great. I'm not sure about the power, or the interior space. My moms thinking about checking one out to replace her 2000 XJ. :thumbsup: Lets not forget the 19:1 low range!!!!!!

#18 ·
flame me if you must *zips up flame resistant suit to his chin* but doesn't the liberty share the same platform, or atleast some of the same components as a neon? thats what i always thought

#19 ·
The patriot will have some sort of 4 wheel drive with some sort of low range, but it sounds like you press some sort of "off road button."

Read: http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/patriot.html

At any rate it looks a lot better than that compass, which doesn't deserve to wear a Jeep badge. I'm going to hold off on my decision regarding the Patriot until I have more info.;)

#20 · (Edited)
S10Eater said:
flame me if you must *zips up flame resistant suit to his chin* but doesn't the liberty share the same platform, or atleast some of the same components as a neon? thats what i always thought
Uh, no. The Liberty was a "new" platform that just now is branching out and sharing with the upcoming Dodge Nitro. The Neon only spawned the PT Cruiser. :rtft:

#21 ·
IndyXJ said:
Why are we even discussing this if they don't have 4wd...or do they? :confused: :rofl: :confused:
...The Freedom Drive II Off-Road Package is an available four-wheel-drive system that makes the Jeep Patriot a Trail Rated 4x4, creating the most capable vehicle in the crowded compact SUV class. The Freedom Drive II Off-Road Package includes a second-generation continuously variable transaxle with a low range (CVT2L) that engages when the off-road mode is activated, 17-inch all-terrain tires and aluminum wheels, a full-size spare tire, air-filtration system, skid plates, tow hooks, fog lamps and seat height adjuster. The available Freedom Drive II Off-Road Package is recommended for true off-road situations that include steep grades, wheel lift and rock or log climbing...
per Jeep's Press release for the Patriot.

#22 ·
its a compass with a boxie back......

#23 · (Edited)
I think a lot of people here are underestimating the Patriot, yes of course it's not gonna be out wheeling Wranglers here, and it's not what it's designed for, but it sure as hell will out wheel any of it's competition, 9" ground clerance, 4x4 with 19:1 low range, center locker, brake assist, skid plates, oil cooler, this little sucker will do things never seen in SUVs this price/market. It's competition is vehicles like the Honda CR-V/Element, Toyota Rav4, Suzuki Grand Vitara, Kia Sportage, Saturn Vue, and so on. As far as I know the only vehicle listed there that even has low range is the Suzuki but the Vitara falls short in every other aspect. It's about time this compact SUV market has gotten a GOOD vehicle.

It's not just a Caliber with a different body (the Compass basically is though) it has quite a bit more work done to the drivetrain.

I'm looking forward to it's release, quite possibly will get one.

Just remember how big the compact SUV market is, some people just want light offroad ability, with good cargo capacity and versatility, rather then buying a really good SUV and using 15% of its offroad capability. I've had my fair share of 4x4 vehicles, I don't need anything overkill anymore.

^ And I'm in that catagory.

#24 ·
MtnBikingAddict said:
I think a lot of people here are underestimating the Patriot, yes of course it's not gonna be out wheeling Wranglers here, and it's not what it's designed for, but it sure as hell will out wheel any of it's competition, 9" ground clerance, 4x4 with 19:1 low range, center locker, brake assist, skid plates, oil cooler, this little sucker will do things never seen in SUVs this price/market. It's competition is vehicles like the Honda CR-V/Element, Toyota Rav4, Suzuki Grand Vitara, Kia Sportage, Saturn Vue, and so on. As far as I know the only vehicle listed there that even has low range is the Suzuki but the Vitara falls short in every other aspect. It's about time this compact SUV market has gotten a GOOD vehicle.
I thought that was what the Liberty was competing against:confused:

There just may be a few too many Jeeps models on the market in the next few years.

How about this instead?

Patriot only - Compass not needed in Jeep lineup. Buy the Caliber if you're set on a domestic Subaru.
JK
JK Unlimited is the new XJ - buh-bye KJ. Dodge Nitro > KJ anyway
Gladiator
Decontent some XK trims to bring down the cost, delete WK
New body on frame SFA Grand Waggy based on Ram drivetrain - Think Suburban/Tahoe killer

#25 ·
I don't have any problem with the Patriot cause Jeep needs a compact SUV. And it's alot better than the competition. But the Compass is not a Jeep. Jeep doesn't need the Compass. And about the 4wd systems the Compass is AWD with lever that you pull to lock the center diff. Same with the Patriot except pulling the lever puts you in low range (and locked diff). Go to http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html for info on Jeep's 4x4 systems. And with the FDII off-road package, the Patriot is one inch higher than the base Patriot or the Compass. I would never buy a Patriot without FDII or a Compass they're just too low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.