Jeep Compass - windshield condensation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Jeep Compass - windshield condensation

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-04-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
Mistyfate

Jeep Compass - windshield condensation

I've had my Compass for almost two months and I only have one complaint so far. Recently, I have noticed that I get a considerable amount of condensation on the inside of my windsheild - My vent setting was on the front dash defroster and it has been a wet week in NJ, however I don't think there should be any condensation. While I was away a family member noted a considerable amout of water on the inside; she said the whole windshield was covered and the water was dripping onto the dash. Has anyone else had this problem? Please let me know.

The problem was pointed out to me this evening and when I checked there was condensation on the interior bottom part of the windshield.

Mistyfate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
mealso

In the owners manual somewhere it should tell you that the AC is on, on the defrost settings unless you turn the temp up towards heat. This keeps the AC clutch from sticking from lack of use in the winter time. So just turn it up just before the red and the condensation should stop.
mealso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mealso
In the owners manual somewhere it should tell you that the AC is on, on the defrost settings unless you turn the temp up towards heat. This keeps the AC clutch from sticking from lack of use in the winter time.
Good point.

Manufacturers also do this because generally speaking colder air is dryer air, so it actually does the job of defrosting much better as well.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Mistyfate

Thank you for your responses.

I'm afraid I was unclear in my original post...

the window condensation occured when my car was sitting in the driveway; not while anyone was driving. No one had driven it for over a day when the condensation was noted. The last setting that I had my air set to was defroster and it appeared as if somehow the humidity was creeping in through there while my car sat. I didnt know if there was a correlation with the vent setting to the condensation - I was just stating the situation.

Since then, whenever I park my car I leave the air vents on another setting and I have had no problems; however it has been relatively dry outside.

Thanks again tho! any further insight will help
Unread 09-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #5
JeepFreak91

i get the condensation on my xj but its always on the outside of the windsheild but never on the inside. maybe the hvac has a flaw in it that lets moisture in?
JeepFreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyfate
Thank you for your responses.

I'm afraid I was unclear in my original post...

the window condensation occured when my car was sitting in the driveway; not while anyone was driving. No one had driven it for over a day when the condensation was noted. The last setting that I had my air set to was defroster and it appeared as if somehow the humidity was creeping in through there while my car sat. I didnt know if there was a correlation with the vent setting to the condensation - I was just stating the situation.

Since then, whenever I park my car I leave the air vents on another setting and I have had no problems; however it has been relatively dry outside.

Thanks again tho! any further insight will help
Sorry that I didn't chime in sooner, been on the road. I've had no problems with mine. It may be from "deposits" of some kind on the inside of the windshield, like smoke tar, but it could be something left by the factory. Try a really good cleaning with alcohol and see if that helps.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Melanie

Same problem in Neon

I had the same problem with my '98 Neon. (And sincerely hope that my soon-to-arrive Compass isn't heading in the same direction as the problems I had with that car!)

Sorry to say, but I never got the problem resolved with the Neon. As I live in the snow belt in Canada, I often had a bit of ice on the inside of the windshield as well. Just had to employ creative use of the defroster and vent.

If you come up with a solution, I'd be interested in hearing it!
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I had 2 older cars with the same kind of problem. They had bad vent seals, cracked windshields and bad windshield seals so I just put up with it. The dealer should have a look at it and fix it on a new one.
Unread 09-14-2006, 05:31 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Mistyfate,
We've had a lot of rain here, too and still no inside condensation problems. This morning we had some pretty heavy fog, 45 degrees, dew point of 46 and 93% humidity, still nothing.

I have noticed that on the outside of my windshield that I still have the suction cup marks from the installation. I'm going to do the same thing that we used to do in an optics lab for cleaning lenses. First COVER whatever is paint or plastic, clean well with acetone and then clean again with alcohol. Alcohol cleans off the sugar based deposits that acetone doesn't touch. Both maybe harmful to your paint and dash, so if you do this, be careful.
Another problem that you may have is that someone is getting into your Compass at night, folding the seats down and having a romantic interlude. If that's the case, lock you doors!

GOOD LUCK!!
Unread 09-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
Mistyfate

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampsmopar
Another problem that you may have is that someone is getting into your Compass at night, folding the seats down and having a romantic interlude. If that's the case, lock you doors!

GOOD LUCK!!

You're too funny!

My sister makes similar comments all the time.

Thanks for your advice! I have noticed the suction cup marks too, on the upper right hand and left hand sides of my windshield.

I'll have to try the acetone/alcohol trick...I'll be sure to cover everything thing up since I know what havoc acetone can create.
Unread 09-15-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Your sister and I...Great minds, same gutter! I hope it works for you!
Unread 10-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #12
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampsmopar
Your sister and I...Great minds, same gutter! I hope it works for you!
Same problem on my 04 Tiburon. I would suspect the seals. Although, what makes condensation?? Cold air meeting warm air.

I don't have the brain faculty (today) to come up with an answer to why sometimes it's on the outside and sometimes on this inside.

This said, if your car could quickly warm/cool to the outside temperature, then no condensation would occure. This would require leaky seals or other air leaks. Do you always turn off your vents when you park it for the night? Could it be that your car is so well sealed? I could very well be...

Last edited by phil8400; 10-18-2006 at 01:10 PM..
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyfate
I've had my Compass for almost two months and I only have one complaint so far. Recently, I have noticed that I get a considerable amount of condensation on the inside of my windshield - My vent setting was on the front dash defroster and it has been a wet week in NJ, however I don't think there should be any condensation. While I was away a family member noted a considerable amount of water on the inside; she said the whole windshield was covered and the water was dripping onto the dash. Has anyone else had this problem? Please let me know.

The problem was pointed out to me this evening and when I checked there was condensation on the interior bottom part of the windshield.
Mistyfate,

Could the aftermarket sunroof be causing your condensation problem or is it still a problem? BTW, check your PMs.
Unread 11-09-2006, 12:44 AM   #14
Mistyfate

I was thinking that the aftermarket sunroof could be the cause for my windshield condensation also, but I was not sure how to check.

It has happened one more time (since I last posted that everything was okay...go figure!)

And when I got into the jeep I touched in interior glass on the sunroof, and while there was slight condensation...there was no where near as much as what was on the interier windshield.

So I still have no clue. Another possibility that was pointed out to me was that...the compass maybe sealed very tightly and the condensation maybe coming from inside (since it has happened while it was raining and a day after the rain - but both times when I had a a full truckload of people with sopping wet sneakers)

for now it is not a huge concern for me. When I take it in for an oil change I will ask them to look into it. I was also thinking about a remote start...

Last edited by Mistyfate; 11-09-2006 at 12:59 AM..
Unread 11-09-2006, 07:38 AM   #15
Kev M
2012 WK 

Has anyone asked yet it you run the air on a "recirculation" setting much?

Even in rain you shouldn't do that often, as it locks moisture into the cabin.

K
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.