Jeep Compass ipod connection - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Jeep Compass ipod connection

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #16
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser
I need to connect my ipod to my Compass. What are my options? I've seen the Mopar integration kit for $125.00 which seems a little steep. I talk to the creepy guy at Radio Shack and he tried to sell me a $50.00 piece of equipment that goes through the radio.
Help!
The Radio Shack guy was probably trying to sell you a Fm Direct Adapter. I've installed a lot of Sirius radios and this is a popular option. It differs from a fm transmitter because it hooks directly into the radio's antenna socket. The vehicle's antenna hooks into the adapter.

This would probably be considered the second worst option, although the sound is adequate. Way better than the transmitter.

The best option would be..
1. Factory installed
2. Aux input. Not really sure if you could use it if you have the 6 disc changer. Maybe the radios have changed. Also, until recently the were hard to find for the newer cars.
3. FM Direct
4. FM transmitter.

Unless you're an audiophile freak the FM direct will work fine.

I haven't seen a the Compass radio yet, but I'm going to test drive one tomorrow. O, thread is a month old.

I've done this before, I'll ask tomorrow about the radio... or pull it

http://www.tss-radio.com/triple-inpu...er-p-3990.html

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piex3chry04.html

Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #17
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Thanks Phil, I've seen those and didn't really want to go that way, I can buy an Ipod cheaper. I can load MusicMatch controllers on to the thumb drive that I believe would act like Ipod software. In my searching I did find this:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...24/022874.html

All I can say on that is WOW!!! How sweet!
Gramps, I am 100% certain that you can DIY. All you need is the correct wire harness and mini-jack cable with a female connector. You could run the wire through to the glove box and leave it there. Plug in your MP3 player or other music device and you're all set. Someone somewhere must be good at this stuff.
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #18
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
Gramps, I am 100% certain that you can DIY. All you need is the correct wire harness and mini-jack cable with a female connector. You could run the wire through to the glove box and leave it there. Plug in your MP3 player or other music device and you're all set. Someone somewhere must be good at this stuff.
Thanks Phil, I kinda figured that it could be done with a USB, it's just a different AUX input. I was hopping that someone out there was up on this stuff and could point me in the right direction. Got lots of places to mount the female plug.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #19
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

iPod input + Aux

Just found this on eBay in the Compass search/Buy Now section (LOTS of other stuff there now!):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...100930646&rd=1

This will fit my bill if I get an iPOD later on but what's nice for now is that he also has other accessories that would let me plug in a self powered USB Digital MP3 player that I just got from work by using the headphone adapter.

"The AUX input on this interface is a RCA input. You can connect any audio output (headphone or RCA) to it. If you are connecting a headphone output to this interface you will need a cable to convert it from RCA to 1/8" (headphone jack)."

Some good instructions in the listing, too.

This looks like it can add a lot of possibilities to the sound system. I can see the potential of also running another set of wires to connect and power a USB flash drive off of this.

I just want to add a note about eBay. I am neither promoting the quality of the products or buying the products listed. I have found that it is a great place to find what may be available and then possibly do a Google to see if there are similar items out there and maybe of better quality. Above all, watch out for shipping costs on eBay and check the sellers feedback and don't let yourself get ripped off!
7f20_3.jpg  

Last edited by Gramps; 04-07-2007 at 08:12 AM..
Unread 04-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #20
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

That thing looks cool, I wonder which one I would need as I saw something about the satellite and dvd needing another kind.
g3cko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #21
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3cko
That thing looks cool, I wonder which one I would need as I saw something about the satellite and dvd needing another kind.
Go to the link and either click on some of his links or email him. Appears that he is willing to help with your questions.

This one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2120&rd=1&rd=1
ccfc_3.jpg  

Last edited by Gramps; 04-08-2007 at 06:39 AM..
Unread 03-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #22
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

I know I'm bumping an old thread but - what's the latest on this topic? I have a dual male-end cable that I can use to plug in my iPod to the AUX jack, but I'd like to have control of the iPod from the deck/steering wheel.
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #23
davep
2007 MK Compass 

I'm bumping this thread again.. mostly because I don't see mention of the Mopar iPod integration ( 82209617AC ) ... The Mopar one is hard wired and has both an iPod connector and Aux input that are routed to the glove box.

Is anyone out there using this? I'd be really curious to know what happens if you had both an iPod connected and an Aux device connected... does it override one over the other.. aux>ipod or ipod>aux, or maybe adds two "modes" to switch between from the radio control.

I'm curious because I'd like to use a soon-available bluetooth handsfree/music streaming device from kensington (http://us.kensington.com/html/14484.html) which the Aux input would be perfect for.. but it might be kinda cumbersome if the iPod has to be disconnected to use the Aux.
davep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #24
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

I'm happy you're bumping the thread. I'm still equally curious.
Unread 04-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #25
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep View Post
I'm bumping this thread again.. mostly because I don't see mention of the Mopar iPod integration ( 82209617AC ) ... The Mopar one is hard wired and has both an iPod connector and Aux input that are routed to the glove box.

Is anyone out there using this? I'd be really curious to know what happens if you had both an iPod connected and an Aux device connected... does it override one over the other.. aux>ipod or ipod>aux, or maybe adds two "modes" to switch between from the radio control.

I'm curious because I'd like to use a soon-available bluetooth handsfree/music streaming device from kensington (http://us.kensington.com/html/14484.html) which the Aux input would be perfect for.. but it might be kinda cumbersome if the iPod has to be disconnected to use the Aux.
I tried this kit myself in my Patriot with the REC. I absolutely hated it. The unit uses the Sirius pathways for both audio and control. for example, you would press MODE once to go to Sirius, then again to go to IPOD. When you do this, your Sirius presets are erased (I'm not kidding). Then, to control your Ipod, you select specific Sirius channels listed in the manual. For example, to choose "Artists" select channel 192. Then, after a dwell, the Ipod switches to Artists. I found browsing to be very distracting and exceedingly annoying. The loss of Sirius presets drove me berserk, since even if I reset them they disappeared the very next time I selected the Ipod. As I recall, the system did not remember my last browse position so it was always start over from scratch.
Also, because MODE cycles through Ipod, Sirius, and CD, if you want to use only Sirius and CD you still have to cycle past Ipod, and boom, there go your presets.

I had it ripped out 4 days after it went in. It has the feel of an afterthought, and it's more like a hack than a real solid product.

Just my .02
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #26
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Yeah, I had read about the iPod connection really causing problems with the Sirius. Fortunately (unfortunately?) for me, I don't have Sirius. Though, your experience with the adapter does answer part of my question...namely that "Aux" wasn't one of the modes you cycled through, and iPod was there regardless of it being connected or not. That leads me to believe the "aux" connection on the adapter is likely the same wires that feed the audio from the iPod-specific port; so connecting iPod & an aux device could be... bad. I'm sure there's a ghostbuster reference somewhere there.

Honestly, I'd likely just set it to shuffle play; I doubt I'd be doing any browsing (especially while driving).. Do you remember being able to just shuffle all the music on your iPod?
davep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #27
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep View Post
Yeah, I had read about the iPod connection really causing problems with the Sirius. Fortunately (unfortunately?) for me, I don't have Sirius. Though, your experience with the adapter does answer part of my question...namely that "Aux" wasn't one of the modes you cycled through, and iPod was there regardless of it being connected or not. That leads me to believe the "aux" connection on the adapter is likely the same wires that feed the audio from the iPod-specific port; so connecting iPod & an aux device could be... bad. I'm sure there's a ghostbuster reference somewhere there.

Honestly, I'd likely just set it to shuffle play; I doubt I'd be doing any browsing (especially while driving).. Do you remember being able to just shuffle all the music on your iPod?
I did realize I failed to answer the AUX/Ipod question. Yes, the AUX shares audio with the Ipod line, so they will not coexist.

So don't cross the streams :-)

I didn't try using just the shuffle method though, so it's possible that would work and free you from the browsing difficulties.
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #28
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

For my wife and I, we won't be having Sirius, and just want the ability to change to the next song via the controls on the steering wheel. If it does at least that, I'm still interested in getting this.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.