Jeep Compass ipod connection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Jeep Compass ipod connection

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-19-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
laser

Jeep Compass ipod connection

I need to connect my ipod to my Compass. What are my options? I've seen the Mopar integration kit for $125.00 which seems a little steep. I talk to the creepy guy at Radio Shack and he tried to sell me a $50.00 piece of equipment that goes through the radio.
Help!

laser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Which radio do you have?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

I was wondering about this too since the expensive radio with navigation doesn't have an ipod hook up. I would think they might have even offered the myGig with the limited package or something.
g3cko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
BuzzDog

Supposedly a company called PIE makes an interface that allows you to plug in an iPod, but it doesn't allow you to have BOTH factory-installed Sirius AND the aux input. I had something similar in the GM car I traded in when I bought my Compass, and still have one in my Ford, and it works very well.

The concern I have with the Mopar kit is that the description refers to it as "FM bounded"...does this mean that it's an FM modulator that transmits on an "empty" FM frequency in your area? If so, best of luck...due to interference from FM stations, I found it extremely difficult to get one of these to work well on any frequency, and I'm hardly in a major metro area (approximately 400,000 people). Don't even ask what would happen when I ventured a few hours away to a larger metro such as Kansas City, Tulsa, Oklahoma City or Little Rock...it became impossible to use a modulator, because in those areas the FM dial is so "crowded" with commercial broadcast stations. If you're in Massachusetts, I would suspect it would be even worse due to the proximity of so many major cities in a relatively small area, which tends to mean more radio stations.
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2006, 09:04 AM   #5
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser
I need to connect my ipod to my Compass. What are my options? I've seen the Mopar integration kit for $125.00 which seems a little steep. I talk to the creepy guy at Radio Shack and he tried to sell me a $50.00 piece of equipment that goes through the radio.
Help!
Are you specifically looking at an integrated solution where you can control your iPod tacks, playlists and volume?

If not... if you have the single CD player...you have an auxiliary jack on the front of the head unit. All you need is a mini-stereo cable (male to male - headphone type plugs). Plug your iPod into the jack and voilà. This method allows you to control the volume using the head unit and the steering wheel volume control if you have them. If you have the six CD changer, then this option is not available to you.

As for an intergrated solution, the best is a complete hardwired solution, albeit a bit pricey. You will also have to pay for the installation. Many vendors sell these...even Best Buy etc. Specialized car audio stores definately have these and know their stuff. What installers normally do is drill a tiny hole in the back of the glove box where they feed the wire to the back or the head unit. You simply pull out the wire (uninversal iPod connector), and plug it into your iPod. Switch the stereo to SAT, AUX or CD Changer (depending on which port the installer plugged it into). From here, you can control everything (volume, tracks and playlists) on your iPod using the stereo/steering wheel controls. Very cool Leave the Ipod in the glove box or take it out and put it where you want as long as you have cable. You can ususally close the glovebox with the cable sticking out the corner without pinching it - if not, the installer will adjust the hindges or grind down a tiny slit for the cable to pass. My girfriend has this setup in her M3 and it's 100% seemless and she just loves it.

Mopar part#82210181 is an FM transmitter that is preset to a specific radio station. All you do is tune into that station, press play on the iPod and presto. Downsides to this application are:
1 Can't control iPod using stereo/steering wheel controls.
2 Sound degration compared to true digital in option above.
3 Radio interference - especially in big cities.

Last edited by phil8400; 12-20-2006 at 12:35 PM..
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400

As for an intergrated solution, the best is a complete hardwired solution, albeit a bit pricey. You will also have to pay for the installation. Many vendors sell these...even Best Buy etc. Specialized car audio stores definately have these and know their stuff. What installers normally do is drill a tiny hole in the back of the glove box where they feed the wire to the back or the head unit. You simply pull out the wire (uninversal iPod connector), and plug it into your iPod. Switch the stereo to SAT, AUX or CD Changer (depending on which port the installer plugged it into). From here, you can control everything (volume, tracks and playlists) on your iPod using the stereo/steering wheel controls. Very cool Leave the Ipod in the glove box or take it out and put it where you want as long as you have cable. You can ususally close the glovebox with the cable sticking out the corner without pinching it - if not, the installer will adjust the hindges or grind down a tiny slit for the cable to pass. My girfriend has this setup in her M3 and it's 100% seemless and she just loves it.

Thanks Phil, I like that solution! I've got the RAQ, 6 CD, MP3 unit and the kids have been trying to talk me into an ipod for the past couple of months. The thought of playing with tiny buttoms and looking at a tiny screen while driving turned me off to them. If I ever go with one, that's the way I'd go.

Unread 12-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
Kev M
2012 WK 

My wife has been using her Ipod in her Mini for 2 years now and although it was easy to hook up through a CD changer harness that was already there, the fact that IF you want to change songs or playlists etc you have to look down at that tiny screen IS a real turn off for me (cause I've got Musical A.D.D. and like to futz with that stuff).

I think a fully integrated set-up is really the best way to go and I plan on doing that with my new Ipod in my Scoobie-Doo.

I also like that it can be out of sight (and out of mind) in a compartment.

Again, in Jenn's mini she looses one of her cupholders to the Ipod mount, and then there is the wiring from the Ipod to the powered adapter sticking out of the c12-volt power source. Ick.

Kev
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
phil8400

The best on the market is the DICE by Dension.

http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm

They must have one for the Compass. It's isn't listed, but the Compass shares the exact same head unit as many other Jeeps and Dodges. Most car audio stores worth their salt carry or can order this model.

Email or call them first:
http://www.diceelectronics.com/contact.htm

Mucho dineros though...
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

This is run through the auxiliary input, Is there even an option for that on the radio with the 6 cd changer?
Unread 12-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3cko
This is run through the auxiliary input, Is there even an option for that on the radio with the 6 cd changer?
The OEM 6 cd changer does not have an aux input. With this stereo, you would need either a hardwired ipod intergrator like the DICE or FM transmitter.

PS: The OEM 6 cd changer will play raw mp3's on cd. The single disc HU does not - hence the aux input.
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:30 AM   #11
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The OEM 6 cd changer does not have an aux input. With this stereo, you would need either a hardwired ipod intergrator like the DICE or FM transmitter.

PS: The OEM 6 cd changer will play raw mp3's on cd. The single disc HU does not - hence the aux input.

I noticed this, and went out and grabbed some of my old mp3 cd's and I was listening to the same one for days. Awesome feature.
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:17 AM   #12
phil8400

On the two stereo options...

I can understand why the HU that plays mp3's would not have an aux jack, and the one that does have an aux jack, does not play mp3's. However, an aux jack should be standard these days, as should the ability to play raw mp3's.

The thinking behind this is quite lame - IMHO. Cost cutting? Probably.
Unread 01-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
As for an integrated solution, the best is a complete hardwired solution, albeit a bit pricey. You will also have to pay for the installation. Many vendors sell these...even Best Buy etc. Specialized car audio stores definitely have these and know their stuff. What installers normally do is drill a tiny hole in the back of the glove box where they feed the wire to the back or the head unit. You simply pull out the wire (universal iPod connector), and plug it into your iPod. Switch the stereo to SAT, AUX or CD Changer (depending on which port the installer plugged it into). From here, you can control everything (volume, tracks and play lists) on your iPod using the stereo/steering wheel controls. Very cool Leave the Ipod in the glove box or take it out and put it where you want as long as you have cable. You can usually close the glove box with the cable sticking out the corner without pinching it - if not, the installer will adjust the hinges or grind down a tiny slit for the cable to pass. My girlfriend has this setup in her M3 and it's 100% seamless and she just loves it.
Thinking out loud again. If you can get an integrated AUX jack for an IPOD can you get one that takes a USB thumb drive? I don't have an IPOD, I'd have to buy one; I do have 2 Gig and 4 Gig thumb drives. At least I could save the $$ from buying an IPOD.

Last edited by Gramps; 01-19-2007 at 11:05 AM..
Unread 01-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
phil8400

I'm not sure, unless you don't mind changing your head unit. Many manufacturers make HU's with USB ports which support mp3 playback.
Unread 01-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
I'm not sure, unless you don't mind changing your head unit. Many manufacturers make HU's with USB ports which support mp3 playback.
Thanks Phil, I've seen those and didn't really want to go that way, I can buy an Ipod cheaper. I can load MusicMatch controllers on to the thumb drive that I believe would act like Ipod software. In my searching I did find this:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...24/022874.html

All I can say on that is WOW!!! How sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.