post #1 of Old 08-27-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Beava22

Jeep Compass Engine/CVT Failure

I am looking for some insight on what the heck is going on with my Compass. A 2007 4X2, with 2.4L and CVT. I will give a quick summary:
- Knocking/Electrical whirring sound coming from passenger side of engine. I checked a few things, but couldnt find an answer so I told me wife to just keep driving it until it fails.
- a few days later she reports losing HP on the highway. The jeep had no balls and could only for 60mph, but she made it home.
- A few hours later tried to leave the house and it will move back ward, but not forward.
- I determined that this is not some simple fix and have it towed to the dealer.
- Dealer reports that the Oil Control Valve (OCV) is bad and the CVT transmission is blown.
- I have had this vehicle less than a year and driven it less than 10,000 miles. I am feeling kicked in the balls. Especially once I started looking into replacement CVT's. There are zero in my state.
- I decided to have it towed to AAMCO because the do free diagnostics.
- AAMCO tells me there is gas in the oil and there is barely any oil. They can't diagnose the transmission because the engine is blown.
- I then have it towed to a 3rd shop, where I know the mechanic/owner.
- He tells me it need a cam sensor and a speed sensor. So he replaces the came sensor first and then verifies the motor is blown. There is no compression.
- He also verifies the car will only drive in reverse and not forward.

I just find it very hard to believe that the Engine and Transmission would both quit at the same time.
What are the symptoms of a bad oil control valve? Is it possible that a bad oil control valve would cause the engine to act as though it has no compression?
I am hanging on to a thread of hope that maybe only one of the two is blown and not both. I really don't want to believe that a car I paid over $6k for lasted me less than a year, both the engine and transmission blew on the same day and now I am going to have to sell it for scrap.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Thank you.

post #2 of Old 08-27-2015, 09:40 PM
98TJSE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

if timing is off yea it can cause compression issues as on compression stroke if valve is partially open.... lower compression , its also possible that timing got thrown so far off a valve hit a piston slightly damaging a valve so it don't close properly, interference engine, I had this happen on my Neon (2.4L) when timing belt broke damaged 13 of 16 valves..

here is some info on the control valves and what they do....

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides...96b43f80f65fca

not necessarly meaning the engine is shot, ther eis also a TSB for these valves and such getting carboned up on the world* engine , basically its has to to with variable timing control anyway ..

saying it was low on oil, if to low can cause drivability issues, also if gas was in oil, it will effect its timing, aswell since viscosity changes, so would timing, but if you got any stored codes would be nice to know them..
post #3 of Old 09-01-2015, 10:22 PM
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beava22 View Post
Knocking/Electrical whirring sound coming from passenger side of engine. I checked a few things, but couldnt find an answer so I told me wife to just keep driving it until it fails.
I'm going to try to not sound like an *** but it probably won't work. The car was telling you there was a problem and you ignored it. The problem you have on your hands is now your fault. Entirely.

I do hope that you can make the best of the situation some how.