Jeep compass 2007 oil change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Jeep compass 2007 oil change

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
compasser

Jeep compass 2007 oil change

Hi Guys
I am new to this forum and I would like to know a thing which makes me nervous

I do have the jeep compass 2007 2.4 benzin

I looked at the oil and it looked dark well lets say not little dark but a bit more than little. but not burned.

on the cover its written put 5w-20
I couldnt find it in finland then I went to the jeep dealer and he said we put here 5w-40 full syhthetic oil! and no market has 5w-20 there is only 5w-30 and then something like 0w-__

the other thing that car was serviced when it was 60 000km and now its 65700km so the dealer said usually it depends on the country here in finland we change oil every 30 000km and we change spark plugs every 45000km and oil kind 5w-40

so any advice please? what are differences with oil types? and does then 5w-30 work better?

another thing can air filter be cleaned or it has to be exchanged?
and spark plugs they look with no carbon on the ends but the white part of it has a yellow circle from the begining of it? still works? or should be replaced?

thanks alot for any advice you may tell

compasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

Hi as far as I know 5W-30 is approved for all 2.4 gas engines other than U.S.A. where it is a greenie thing. I don't know anything about the diesel engines. 5W-30 is fine in the U.S. as well. I use synthetic and change oil every 8k km, with non-synthetic I would change every 5k km. The air cleaner must be replaced; in Canada it is 50k km along with spark plugs.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
compasser

Thanks for the fast responce
so if the 5w-30 works here is 5w-40 full is also aprroved but what is the difference is it like softer or ?
Unread 08-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The lower the first number the "thinner" it is at cold temps making for easier starts. The higher the second number the heavier it is at hi temps for more protection. That's an over simplification but understandable.

I have been using 0W-30 in mine for several years now. IMHO Finland doesn't get hot enough to warrant 5W-40. My temps range from a low of -30F (-35C) to a high of 90F (+35C).

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
compasser

Thanks Gramps, this was clear explaination about the differences,
the thing is I dont understand Finns when they fix cars.
the weather is from -30c to +30c
the dealer said 5w-40 so is it since thick then hard to be frozen? I am really confussed but do you think it harms the engine if I put this 5w-40`? or it just deals with fast start of engine and weather?
or lets say to keep engine heating degree high? because regularly in finland the normal heater gage while car works is on the "half". another thing is that we do have a motor heating system inside the engine and the car works on electricity, when you park your car you plug it to 240v electric plug then at morning all is warm like summer.
Unread 08-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

5W-40 would not lubricate as well as 5W-30 because it is too thick at warmer temperatures. The only use for that grade would be continuous high speed driving in very warm conditions.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's a nice chart and some easily understandable (for me) info that you may find helpful. What Every Motorist Should Know About Motor Oil

The reason that Jeep, for N.A. applications, recommends 5W20 is that there is less friction at higher temps to pass the pollution police. Outside of N.A there was a TSB released that said it was OK to use 5W30.

In most of the specs that I looked at 5W is good protection down to -25C, below that 0W is better. As you can see from the chart in the link above 30 is as high as you need to go for your temps in Finland. Now with all of the charts and ideal conditions you still have to run what's available in your area. I have no problem getting the 0W30 and it works great for me. My Jeep is parked outside with no engine heater and I never have any problem starting it on cold winter mornings.

Overhead cam engines also like the 30 better than the 40 weight at higher temps too.

Unread 08-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
compasser

well guys I am sure that the way you answered would be the right one.

anyway I asked an american friend of mine he got his mpv mazda from the states and put always 5w-20, but the dealer recomended 5w-40 and he said it works even though not for long he have been using it.

anyway asked today for 5w-20 not at the market so I guess I have to buy either 30 or 40 but the 0w issue, anyway I will read the link you have given me

thanks for the help
Unread 08-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
compasser

how is ow-40 gramps? I have bought this one is it ok? or? the worker said it wont harm and good in cold conditions but what you think since you use 0w-30 its not present in finland by the way
Unread 08-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

For your cold weather 0W-30 is my first choice, 0W40 is next, followed by 5W30 and 5W40. I think it's a very good choice but that's just my opinion. I think that the cold weather start up is the most important. More damage can be done due to lack of lubrication at low temps that a heavier oil at high temps.

Unread 08-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
compasser

well since the weather is getting colder now, maybe in summer time I would use another if possible but anyway saw a video by an oil company and they said that the 0w should be so good. I checked the oil myself wasnt really too heavy and if you look at the link you have given me its shown that all works with hot weather since the arrow points there am I not right?

anyway I had it done yesterday put to it 5 liters even though I have now 1cm on the meter over the safe area but I think its fine isnt it? since I have driven and no strange sound with the engine its the oposite the sound of engine is less now old oil was so black.
Unread 08-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You should be just fine with that.

5 liter = 5.283 quarts [US, liquid]. Very slightly over fill but while running it will go into the oil galleys. You may want to put in about a 1/4 of a liter less next time but I wouldn't worry about it this time.

Unread 08-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
compasser

Ok thanks for the reply
the funny thing is that we had another rebault 1.4L and its regular engine evwn not turbo but it
takes 5L so i thought it would be impossible that a 2.4 american 4wd engine woulf take less !
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My daughters 3.9 V-6 Dakota only takes 4 qts. It is what it is, size doesn't explain it.

Unread 08-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #15
compasser

Haha yeah Iguess so

Tags
oil , oil weights , temperature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.