iPod Integration on a Compass, Radio Change...? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > iPod Integration on a Compass, Radio Change...?

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rh4wk View Post
hey thats me!
Indeed it is! I give credit where it's due, and your thread has been really helpful to me. Thanks for putting so much effort into it, especially with the photo documentation!

BigBob, thanks for the information. I'll start shopping around to see if I can find a deal... it's crazy how much that UConnect kit costs!

WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #17
w4rh4wk
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedScapula View Post
Indeed it is! I give credit where it's due, and your thread has been really helpful to me. Thanks for putting so much effort into it, especially with the photo documentation!
not a problem your welcome, i did it for my 08 compass as well when i had it. I saw someone put an aftermarket radio in a 08 patriot ... and i went from there. I felt a need to help my fellow compasseers
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Radio + Jensen JCAM1 Rearview Backup Cam, K&N 63-1567 Performance Intake , Magnaflow Exhaust Part #16777 (Yes it will fit on a 4x4 2011 Compass), Mopar Chrome Fuel Door, Cargo Area Security Cover, Husky floor mats, Mopar Front & Rear Molded Splash Guards
w4rh4wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #18
Bigbob

Quote:

BigBob, thanks for the information. I'll start shopping around to see if I can find a deal... it's crazy how much that UConnect kit costs!
I thought the price was outrageous, but now that I have it in I really like it.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #19
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

I'm sad to report that the radio change didn't work. After a bit of effort I got the front bezel off, took out the radio with no problem, and plugged in the new one. I figured I'd test it before screwing everything back in. I powered up the vehicle (battery only, didn't turn the engine on) and noted the issues - the radio kept making noises as if it were trying to detect a CD, and none of the buttons worked. Nothing came up on its display, either. Even weirder, the Compass' dash would quickly blink every one or two seconds, the little red light in the upper right hand corner remained lit, and the vehicle would give its warning beeps (in a sequence of three, I think) every few seconds. I put a CD into the radio and it took it, and the noises it made changed, but it kept making noises. It ejected the CD without any problem when I hit the eject button. I shut everything off, swapped radios back to the original, and powered the vehicle on - no problems. Shut it off, made the swap again and double-checked to make sure that all connections were tight, and powered it up again... same problems as before.

I guess I'd need to take it to a dealer to flash the radio and/or the Compass to make them compatible with each other? That's pretty disappointing. I guess I'll wait until I have the UConnect kit, and have them do it all at once. It'd probably be cheaper to do it that way, than to bring it to them twice... or I guess I could go with a non-Chrystler radio option. I'll have to think about it.

Disappointed...
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #20
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My Volvo had to have that done. No simple radio swaps without syncing it to the car.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #21
Bigbob

Quote:
I'm sad to report that the radio change didn't work.
I powered up the vehicle (battery only, didn't turn the engine on) and noted the issues - the radio kept making noises as if it were trying to detect a CD

I guess I'd need to take it to a dealer to flash the radio and/or the Compass to make them compatible with each other? That's pretty disappointing. I guess I'll wait until I have the UConnect kit, and have them do it all at once. It'd probably be cheaper to do it that way, than to bring it to them twice... or I guess I could go with a non-Chrystler radio option. I'll have to think about it.

Disappointed...
FYI When you disconnect those radios and then reinstall they go through a bunch of noises like that. My REQ did.
It could be a flash deal, not sure. What car did the radio come out of?
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 11-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #22
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
FYI When you disconnect those radios and then reinstall they go through a bunch of noises like that. My REQ did.
It could be a flash deal, not sure. What car did the radio come out of?
It was a 2009 Jeep, but I'm not sure of the exact model.

Out of curiosity, if you use non-OEM radios, do you still have to take it to the dealer? I've had radios changed before, but never did it myself. I didn't note if the audio shops did anything special besides pulling out the old radios and redoing the connections.
Unread 11-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #23
Bigbob

Quote:
It was a 2009 Jeep, but I'm not sure of the exact model.

Out of curiosity, if you use non-OEM radios, do you still have to take it to the dealer? I've had radios changed before, but never did it myself. I didn't note if the audio shops did anything special besides pulling out the old radios and redoing the connections.
No.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #24
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

I'm still waiting on a price quote from a local dealership (it's been about two weeks; maybe the guy who was responding to me took a vacation), but I don't think I need to pursue this anymore: I recently upgraded from my iPhone 2G (the original) to an iPhone 4S, and wow! Using the voice recognition software (better known as Siri) and the auxiliary input, I can skip songs, change playlists, and more using voice commands, whether from the phone itself or through my Bluetooth headset. Even better, the song fades out when a call is received, and fades back in once it's over. I know a number of cars have that sort of functionality with phone integration, but it's nice to have it without spending an extra $300-500 to upgrade the Jeep.

Other than the facts that I don't get to see the song displayed on the radio's display and across my dash, I have a visible cable out and connected to the phone, and that Siri occasionally misunderstands a command to switch playlists/albums, I can't see a need for the iPod integration kit. Something to consider for people who own or are considering upgrading to an iPhone 4S.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.