iPod Integration on a Compass, Radio Change...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > iPod Integration on a Compass, Radio Change...?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

iPod Integration on a Compass, Radio Change...?

Hi everyone,

I've stopped by these forums a few times to read various bits of information, but now I've reached a point where I'm stuck and wanted some clarification. I feel as if the iPod integration question has been done to death, but it's still not completely clear to me what I'd need to get it set up.

To start with, I'm driving a 2009 Compass with the stock radio. I can't match its code up with any images of other Jeep radios, but it looks exactly like the radio in w4rh4wk's thread:

Based on what I've read, the best iPod integration kits - the ones that don't go through the FM band - require a radio with the Sirius option. Is that right? If so, I'll need to swap out the radio.

In that case, will another Jeep radio - say, something like the RES - fit without needing to modify the radio bay and mount or bezel? I could probably figure that one out, myself, if I could find the product specifications for each radio - again, I apologize, since I can't figure out the code for the stock radio.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Bigbob

Looks like you have a RES or REQ. The code for the radio is on the lower right side of the face.
I have the REQ in my 2011, but it has the uconnect button.
If you go with the uconnect kit you can get a iPod integration cable that plugs into the module. Works great. The playlist is shown on the radio screen.

Look at justforjeeps.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
TJ's02TJ
2012 KK Liberty 

You could also go with an aftermarket one from somewhere like Crutchfield. They will give you all the mounting hardware and wiring for free. Just select a head unit that has the ipod integration and cable included. I got an Alpine for my 2009 Patriot for $150. Very easy to install. And probably cheaper than going with something from Chrysler.

Gone but not forgotten. '02 TJ 4cyl. 2" Skyjacker Spacer Lift 31" General Grabber AT 2.
TJ's02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Thanks for the replies. I took a look at the lower right corner, and the code says RES. It seems that they recycle codes and don't really distinguish between the models of radios...

I wouldn't mind replacing this with one of the better RES models, given that the one I have doesn't show MP3 song titles and doesn't respect folder hierarchies on burned MP3 CDs. It sounds like I'd need a radio with the UConnect capabilities to be able to use an iPod integration kit, too. Is that right?

If so, can I just swap my RES radio out with another RES radio that has UConnect capabilities? I'm also open to non-Chrysler options, if they work just as well and are cheaper.
Unread 11-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

forgive me, but for all the money you'd spend for an FM modulated ipod adaptor that will sound less than par, why not just use the aux in on the front of the radio? you have to control it through the ipod either way, so what's the point in spending a bunch of money just for the same end result?
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Bigbob

I went through all this iPod integration confusion already.

The RES in '09 came 2 ways. One with the uconnect button and one without. I am guessing the Compass had the RES that year with the button, my '09 Ram with RES did.

To use a iPod integration cable you need the uconnect module, either factory or Mopar add on.

iPod integration is different than FM modulated. With the integration you can control the iPod on the RES radio which is cool.

I think using the AUX port is better than going FM modulated.

All the above is if you wish to retain the stock appearance of the vehicle.
And truth be known the factory radios are famous for failing. The uconnect and iPod module will set you back at least $300-$350 with the dealer flashing your computer.
When the old single disc radio on my '06 Rubicon took a dump I got a Pioneer DEH-P6200BT. It has bluetooth that works very good. It has a USB port in front that you can plug the iPod into. I don't much care for the controls on the radio, but I am getting used to it. It was under $200.00 IIRC.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
forgive me, but for all the money you'd spend for an FM modulated ipod adaptor that will sound less than par, why not just use the aux in on the front of the radio? you have to control it through the ipod either way, so what's the point in spending a bunch of money just for the same end result?
There are a few Mopar iPod kits around. The ones that go through the FM band seem to be the most common (and the most compatible), and would be as you say: you'd need to control them through the iPod itself. However, there's an integration kit with the UConnect models that offers full integration with the iPod: charging, display of current song on the radio display, and control of the iPod through the radio controls itself (and steering wheel radio controls, if you have them). That's what I'm after.

I agree with you, though - going for the FM integration option definitely isn't worth it. Better to just use an AUX cable and charge the iPod with a car charger, or put the 115 V outlet to use and bring in your home charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I went through all this iPod integration confusion already.

The RES in '09 came 2 ways. One with the uconnect button and one without. I am guessing the Compass had the RES that year with the button, my '09 Ram with RES did.

To use a iPod integration cable you need the uconnect module, either factory or Mopar add on.
All the above is if you wish to retain the stock appearance of the vehicle.
And truth be known the factory radios are famous for failing. The uconnect and iPod module will set you back at least $300-$350 with the dealer flashing your computer.
When the old single disc radio on my '06 Rubicon took a dump I got a Pioneer DEH-P6200BT. It has bluetooth that works very good. It has a USB port in front that you can plug the iPod into. I don't much care for the controls on the radio, but I am getting used to it. It was under $200.00 IIRC.
That sounds promising. Did you need to make any modifications to the radio bay for the Pioneer, or was it as easy as plugging and sliding it in? When using an iPod through the USB connector, can you control the iPod through the radio controls, or do you still need to use the iPod?

Thanks again for all the info and advice.
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedScapula View Post

That sounds promising. Did you need to make any modifications to the radio bay for the Pioneer, or was it as easy as plugging and sliding it in? When using an iPod through the USB connector, can you control the iPod through the radio controls, or do you still need to use the iPod?

Thanks again for all the info and advice.
No mods. I got it from Cruchfield and they include everything you need. I'd never buy from anywhere else. They have good prices and they know what you need.
The iPod is played through the radio. The radio displays what you are hearing ETC. The only complaint I have is the USB port is on the front of the radio so you see the cable. I wish they would of had the USB in the back so I could of run a cable into the glovebox. That's how my Patriot is. I just throw the iPod in the glovebox and never see it. On both the Mopar integration setup I have on the Patriot and the Pioneer setup I have on my Rubicon the iPod is charged by the radio/cable so you don't need to worry about that either. On the Pioneer I can also plug in my iPhone and use the iPod function and charge the phone. I can't on the Mopar, but I just need to upgrade some sofware or something so that works. The bluetooth on the Pioneer works just as well as the uconnect on the Mopar.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

I looked at the Pioneer model you mentioned, and I can see what you mean about the control scheme. I'll see if I can go with the Mopar option, but if it looks to be too expensive or complicated, I'll try the Pioneer route. Thanks for the suggestion!
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
TJ's02TJ
2012 KK Liberty 

The only reason I didn't get a pioneer is because they didn't have one with rear usb in my price range like Bigbob said. That's why I went with the Alpine. It had the rear plug and easy to use iPod controls.

Gone but not forgotten. '02 TJ 4cyl. 2" Skyjacker Spacer Lift 31" General Grabber AT 2.
TJ's02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

All right, I bought a used, more advanced RES (with the UConnect button) for cheap, part #P68021163AE. The fit doesn't look like it'll be a problem in my Compass. However, I guess I was confused about the whole UConnect thing - I thought that radios that supported UConnect had the module built into them, but it looks like it's a totally separate unit. It also looks like those are pretty expensive and hard to come by second-hand.

So now I'm still sorting through part numbers to find out which UConnect module to go with, and once that's sorted, I guess I'll be able to determine which iPod cable to get. They sure make this complicated! In the mean time, the more advanced radio will be a nice upgrade, as it should respect folder hierarchies on my MP3 CDs...

If anyone has any advice regarding the UConnect kits and iPod cables (particularly part numbers), I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, I'll continue to post with updates on my progress as I go through parts...
Unread 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Bigbob

Quote:
All right, I bought a used, more advanced RES (with the UConnect button) for cheap, part #P68021163AE. The fit doesn't look like it'll be a problem in my Compass. However, I guess I was confused about the whole UConnect thing - I thought that radios that supported UConnect had the module built into them, but it looks like it's a totally separate unit. It also looks like those are pretty expensive and hard to come by second-hand.

So now I'm still sorting through part numbers to find out which UConnect module to go with, and once that's sorted, I guess I'll be able to determine which iPod cable to get. They sure make this complicated! In the mean time, the more advanced radio will be a nice upgrade, as it should respect folder hierarchies on my MP3 CDs...

If anyone has any advice regarding the UConnect kits and iPod cables (particularly part numbers), I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, I'll continue to post with updates on my progress as I go through parts...
What year radio? Look on the justforjeeps website and it's pretty straight forward. And once you get the module installed you need to have it flashed by the dealer.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
What year radio? Look on the justforjeeps website and it's pretty straight forward. And once you get the module installed you need to have it flashed by the dealer.
The date code says 2189 2005, but it was pulled from a 2009 Jeep. And great, a trip to the dealer... I hear some people have to pay $50 just for the pleasure of having the computer do its business for an hour? Man...

How is the installation of the UConnect unit? Is there a bay for it even if your vehicle didn't come with it factory installed, or are people just plugging it in and then strapping or taping it to something to hold it down?
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Bigbob

Looks like you should use the same module as I did. 82212499
http://www.justforjeeps.com/cesyuchafr.html

It should just bolt in if it's from the same year. Sometimes if you get different year radios the plugs are different.

Install guide: http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/uconnect.pdf

82212160 is the iPod cable you want.
http://www.justforjeeps.com/ipinm20.html

It says it does not allow the iPod to be controlled by the radio, but this is wrong. My radio runs the iPod great. I just leave the iPod in the glovebox and never look at it.

Install guide: http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82212160.pdf

Some dealers charge $50.00 or so. My dealer charged twice that. Minimum payment. The actual scan takes like 5 minutes. Make sure and print out the instructions on page 5 of the module instructions and take with you to the dealer.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
w4rh4wk
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
w4rh4wk's thread
hey thats me!
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Radio + Jensen JCAM1 Rearview Backup Cam, K&N 63-1567 Performance Intake , Magnaflow Exhaust Part #16777 (Yes it will fit on a 4x4 2011 Compass), Mopar Chrome Fuel Door, Cargo Area Security Cover, Husky floor mats, Mopar Front & Rear Molded Splash Guards
w4rh4wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.