Intermittent starting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Intermittent starting problem

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 04-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
zing43

Intermittent starting problem

I have an 07 compass. It sometimes has trouble starting. It will crank, on the second try cranks a couple times and starts. does it in cold, cool, warm and hot weather. Usually after I have been driving and stop somewhere and then restart to leave within 10 min. Very intermitent, dealer has no answer, warranty up soon. Anyone else have this problem

zing43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
deepnite10

does sound its electrical..in the morning befor starting the car..check the headlights to see if they re as bright as the day befor..

could be the battery not holding a charge, a alternator going bad or
even the starter..

how long has this been going on?..usually if its any of the mention d..by
the end of the week they re shot..

battery>alternator>starter , from cheapest to most costly to repair..

if its one of the 3..its unusual that the dealer could nt determine the
cause..they can check the battery and alternator and the amount of tq
coming from the starter..

similar problem with my volvo..turned out it was a frayed grounding wire
on the alternator..they easily could have replaced the alternator..but, instead
merely replaced the wire..cool guy s at Sears..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
troys96xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have a Patriot that does this too. Its not the battery on mine cuz it turns over very strong. Just wont start. I have no idea either. Mine is on a lease so Im gonna let it go in october.
troys96xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
deepnite10

if they have tested the charging system and say everything seem s to be find..then id go looking for a short from one of the grounding wires..
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
zing43

battery is strong, been going on for a year since I bought it. Since the starter cranks, how the a ground affect it, other than spark to the spark plugs.
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

Mine does it too. It really isn't anything to be worried about. I have been told it is the signal from the key to the ignition. the signal isnt read properly, so the car won't start. Just turn the car off, pull the key out, wait a few senconds and try it again. It will eventually start when the ignition gets the right signal if u keep cranking, but to avoid wear just take the key out, wait a little and try again.
bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
zing43

who told you that the key was the reason, I thought of that and thought it might be my key, so I tried the other key for a while and got the same results
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

It actually happened to me the first time I pulled the car off the lot. I went to start the car and the battery was dead, so they jumped it and drove it in and put a new battery in it. When they drove it out they turned it off. I went to start it and it wouldn't start. he told me to take the key out and try it again and it started right up. It might not be the key, it might be in the code reader in the ignition. Mine still does it just not that often, maybe once every three months or so.
bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

If the key is the problem:

Then ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN) will also respond to the invalid key message on the CAN data bus by flashing the security indicator ON and OFF.

If not, then it's not the key. Just trying to eleminate what it's NOT. It could be a SKREEM module not getting a signal too.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
deepnite10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing43 View Post
battery is strong, been going on for a year since I bought it. Since the starter cranks, how the a ground affect it, other than spark to the spark plugs.
the battery has a negative grounding wire..anything that runs or starts as a result of a spark has some kinda grounding device..the alternator has its own grounding wire as well as the starter..it might be that the ground is loose or
frayed..

i can t believe that a dealership..knowing the cause of a malfuction can t fix it..or replace the parts..especially if its a new car..
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
zing43

the dealer has not been able to repeat it and says there are not codes showing up
Unread 04-18-2010, 06:54 AM   #12
zing43

I think if it was a ground wire that was loose or frayed, we would not have as many people having the same problem, unless it was installed that way, plus it should do it more often.
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
deepnite10

it won t hurt..and the warranty is up soon..
may as well do some reading..

Troubleshooting a No-Start Problem - Why Won't My Car Start - What To Look For If Your Car Won't Start

from this it could be the fuel pump
WikiAnswers - Why will a car turn over but not start

Why does my car crank but not start? - Yahoo! Answers
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

Mine has done that twice in the two years I've owned it. Both times were at the same place I stop for coffee. I would start the car up, drive about 5-10 minutes to the coffee shop, turn engine off, get coffee, try to start engine. It would turn over but not start. If I tried it right away again, same thing. I would have to sit for about 30 seconds to a minute then it would fire up right away. It doesn't do it enough for me to be concerned about it.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
nettolt
2007 MK Compass 

Mine does this same thing. I have been trying to get it fixed since I purchased the car.

Tags
compass , patriot , starting problems

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.