Interested in a Compass or Patriot - Common Problems I should be aware of? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Interested in a Compass or Patriot - Common Problems I should be aware of?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!All our Different Weld Washers!

Unread 02-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Interested in a Compass or Patriot - Common Problems I should be aware of?

Hello,

My wife and I are looking to trade in a vehicle for either a Compass or Patriot. (The Caliber fell off the list due to less ground clearance.)

I've been looking through the threads here, but was looking to find a summed up post or two about things I should aware of when it comes to these vehicles. Problems with reliability, gas mileage not being as good as promised, etc.

Also, we've test driven a Compass with a CVT and did not like how slow it is off the line. I'm not wanting to race the streets, but I do want the confidence to pull into traffic off a side-street instead of waiting and waiting. Amongst the threads in this forum, many of you are saying it's not that bad and people like myself "just aren't used to it." I've made an appointment to test drive one with a 5-spd this Saturday (we both drive manual right now) to see if I like it more or less. Any pros or cons in your eyes regarding this also?

Edit: Another question. The Patriots: Does the FD stand for Front-wheel drive? If so, are they FWD only, or do they have the ability to lock into all wheel drive? (I've only driven FWD vehicles, so please pardon this question if it seems stupid.)

Thanks.

Last edited by Knightfallzx2; 02-21-2008 at 02:54 PM..
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
charlimc
2008 MK Patriot 

Go with the manual. In Canada you will get $1000 rebate back from Environment Canada if you buy the manual (4x2 or 4x4). I know because I bought the CVT (which i like very much) and it does not qualify for the rebate
charlimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

That is another incentive for us to go for the 5-spd. My wife works for an insurance company and told me about this a short while ago. I found it interesting that it's only the 5-spds when the CVTs are supposedly great on gas as well.

I guess you just can't beat the old school method.
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

not sure about that - the window sticker on my Rallye 5-speed says 25 city 29 highway and I think the CVT's is lower by 1 or 2

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
charlimc
2008 MK Patriot 

Yes the CVT is lower than the manual. Or are you trying to say that the mpg is highr for the CVT?? Definitely not the case
Unread 02-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

It wouldn't surprise me that the Canadian government has something completely backwards.

Either way, I hope it's safe to assume both the 5-spd and CVT are better economy-wise than a regular automatic transmission.
Unread 02-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Jeepster55

i've had my Compass since November and i love it. i've had no problems with it and the MPG's are great....at least compared to my Jeep Unlimited that i traded in.

as for acceleration, i think it's just a matter of getting used to. this morning, for instance, i 'took' a new GMC 4X4 at a stop light and i think it shocked HIM!

good luck!!!
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My husband and I both have 2008 5 speed Patriots. He drives roughly 120 miles/day and gets 30 on the highway. I do mostly around town, and average 19-20 (not bad for 4wd around town). We love ours and would recommend them without question!

You can lock out the wheels if you need to (most times you won't). You can only go up to 10mph, then the lock outs disengage automatically. The think just tromps through the snow and muck-you just can't beat it for the price. Mine was just under $21K and has a moonroof, tinted windows, and the 25E package (power windows, doorlocks, air, Yes seats, and cruise). My husband's is the 25D package-no power windows, etc. He loves his. Got his for under $17K after mfr and military discounts/rebates.

Good luck!
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

you should be aware that a very small percentage have complained about water leakage near the rear dome light. But that is a very small percentage...
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
charlimc
2008 MK Patriot 

I would not diminish the significance of the dome leak. My reading of two surveys on other forums is that the rate of complaints is around 10% - I do not see this as a very small percentage.

Keep in mind that this is a new vehicle and sometimes problems do not surface immediately. I feel that the leaking problem is a serious one and unless Chrysler comes out with a fix it may be a deal breaker for some people. Personally it dropped my perception of the partiot down a lot when the problem appeared on mine- and it did not surface till after 3 months of ownership.
Unread 02-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Good to know about the dome leak.

Has anyone found where the water is leaking into? From the hatch, or the rails on the roof? Is it something that can least be sealed up on their own?
Unread 02-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
charlimc
2008 MK Patriot 

There are a number of possible sources of the leak- the sunroof drains are prone to getti9ng plugged. I do not have a sunroof and many of the others with leaks do not as well. The hatch is another place where leaks can occur. As well, leaks are possible around the rails- - that is why the front dome light can leak as well as the rear. Chrysler has a bulletin for service managers identifying the places to look for leaks and it also advises how to plug them. In my opinion the whole problem shows a lack of proper quality control at the manufacturing level.
Unread 02-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

the FD stands for "freedom drive" it a package option IIRC..... also i believe all 4x4 patriots are sortof "all wheel drive" front wheel drive til it needs the rear traction..... then can be locked into "4wd"

i have been on gravel and stomped it and didn't so much as throw a single rock in "2wd"..... so i guess they are all wheel drive.
Unread 02-23-2008, 02:34 AM   #14
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlimc View Post
I would not diminish the significance of the dome leak. My reading of two surveys on other forums is that the rate of complaints is around 10% - I do not see this as a very small percentage.

Keep in mind that this is a new vehicle and sometimes problems do not surface immediately. I feel that the leaking problem is a serious one and unless Chrysler comes out with a fix it may be a deal breaker for some people. Personally it dropped my perception of the partiot down a lot when the problem appeared on mine- and it did not surface till after 3 months of ownership.
Yes but its only 10% of those that took the time to answer... not 10% of the boards active members... which would be a more accurate account of the issue.

People have always been more likely to complain than praise.
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #15
KUHawkhead
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlimc View Post
There are a number of possible sources of the leak- the sunroof drains are prone to getti9ng plugged. I do not have a sunroof and many of the others with leaks do not as well. The hatch is another place where leaks can occur. As well, leaks are possible around the rails- - that is why the front dome light can leak as well as the rear. Chrysler has a bulletin for service managers identifying the places to look for leaks and it also advises how to plug them. In my opinion the whole problem shows a lack of proper quality control at the manufacturing level.
Our 2007 Patriot Limited was a buy back from Jeep for the aforementioned leak. It occured on the passenger side, in the rear, on the top where the side metal went under the roof metal, that seal (poor description I know!). There was a rubber selant that was supposed to be sprayed very liberally in that seam, and they had not applied it thick enough. After four attempts to fix it (the first two of which where spent merely trying to figure out where the leakage was coming from, as the water runs under the healiner, dripping out the cargo/flash light in the back. They first started with replacing the seal around our sunroof (which always did leak) and it did not fix it. They then dropped the headliner three times (all this within six weeks of purchasing) before figuring out where the issue was. Despite taking everything apart, and spraying the rubber sealer into that seam three times, they were not able to make it watertight. Our dealer told us that if this leakage issue is present, due to the manufacturing process and how and when they spray the sealer into that area, it is impossible to fix after the fact. This is why Jeep allowed us the full price we paid for the vehicle towards another Jeep (we opted for an 08 Liberty Limited with Sky Slider-which doesn't leak!). From what I've head from our dealer, almost every Patriot manufactured before 10/07 has this issue, to varing degrees.

If you would like to read my entire horror story about my former 2007 Patriot, go to www.epinions.com and find my story entitled "Jeep Patriot...NO WAY!".
KUHawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.