Installing tweeters in a Jeep Patriot? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Installing tweeters in a Jeep Patriot?

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-06-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
websurrfr
2007 MK Patriot 

Installing tweeters in a Jeep Patriot?

I have a Jeep Patriot limited with the standard sound system. The guide on crutchfield.com for installing component speakers in a Patriot says you have to custom mount the tweeters. I am confused by this because it appears that there are already tweeter mounts built into the dashboard even though they are empty right now.

Are these tweeter mounts in the dashboard unusable for some reason or is crutchfield incorrect that I must custom mount them? Thanks.

websurrfr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This may be a better question to ask crutchfield. Their speakers may need more depth or could be a different size than what the factory used.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
eighteenwheeler

Like gramps said,

but in addition, A lot of time Crutchfield, as well as stores such as best buy either don't have full information, or don't have accurate information, especially with a car as new as the compass and patriot. Asking them probably won't get you an answer, but try it anyway.

It could also be like the 3000GT. The tweeters wouldnt fit in the factory mounting holes because they were too deep. However, there was just a little plastic piece that blocked them, and this piece was inside the dash- somewhere you wouldnt even see it. I used a rotary tool to sand it down and then the new tweeters dropped right in, fitting perfectly.

I advise you to find out the depth and diameter of the tweeters you want, and then See if you either have enough space, or can make enough space for the factory mounting region on the car.
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 6 cyl auto
eighteenwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

It's ironic that you posted this today. I have the same problem as you, since no dealer within 100 miles of me had any Patriots with the Premium Sound package, so I also had to settle for the standard sound.
But I was at Mickey Shorr about two hours ago talking about this exact topic. They told me they would also have to custom mount tweeters, the reason being the OEM tweeters used by Chrysler are much larger in diameter than almost any aftermaket tweeter, and that mounting with the standard stuff depends on that diameter. They told me that OEM speakers in general are of a lower quality (Typically) and that the diameters are increased to improve sound quality, over the more expensive practice of improving materials the way the aftermakets like Kenwood and Infinity do.

The big concern I had, and Mickey Shorr is working on this, is that most audio shops don't have installers with a lot of experience removing panels in the Patriot interior. I don't want any marks or anything left after this job is done.
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
eighteenwheeler

well, if the hole is TOO BIG, thats an easy fix. Tweeters don't vibrate, so using even a thinner piece of wood or fiberglass, or maybe even plastic can be cut to hold it in place and fill the hole...
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 6 cyl auto
eighteenwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.