On the inside of the tire -- what's this part called?? - JeepForum.com
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > On the inside of the tire -- what's this part called??

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Jonesboro, Louisiana
Posts: 1
On the inside of the tire -- what's this part called??

Hey, my jeep patriot has been one nightmare after another. After spending too much of my hard earned money trying to fix this beast, I've resorted to self diagnostics. However, I'm a girl that knows nothing about mechanics. It's been making the dreaded clunk noise when I come to a complete stop, accelerate from dead stop, make a hard left, and now sometimes even when there is simply a bump in the road. Out of sheer frustration, rage, and hunger, I crawled under the jeep today. I noticed on one side, this part looks normal. On the other side tho, it appears maybe a cap is missing. It's also rusted on that side. I'm posting a pic of the good side, and also of the bad side (once I cleaned the gunk off). Even if you can offer no repair wisdom, please help me identify this part. (Sorry it only let me attach one photo so I attached the "bad" side)

jeepHatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 4,725
i only see 1 pic. the main part connecting the wheel and its assembly to the jeep is the lower control arm. at the bottom the shinny thing is a Zirk fitting that you use a grease gun to lubricate the lower ball joint. I do not see much rust that is of any trouble.

There are a few threads here on the trouble with the control arm bushings with these type Jeeps. From what little i have read on them it does seem to happen enough to be a pain the back. On my stuff that has Zirk fittings i grease them about every 3k miles. BUT clean the end of the zirk before greasing.
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Posts: 1,094
This might help:

ball joints are notorious for going bad on a lot of vehicles. They are not too hard to replace yourself, and are not too expensive to buy. You can buy just the ball joint or for a little more money you can buy the whole control arm with ball joint already in it.
1989 Cherokee Pioneer
http://goo.gl/h3lf9 youtube channel.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.