Inlaws need a new Jeep...Patriot to replace Cherokee Sport? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Inlaws need a new Jeep...Patriot to replace Cherokee Sport?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
Our '08 Compass has been great since we bought it new. The engine and drivetrain have been flawless. I recommend this platform highly, unless you're going rock crawling, or something else extreme. I take exception to anecdotal reports of a large amount of failures found on the internet. The internet is forum of people complaining. Happy, satisfied users are driving their cars, and not whining on the web. If you read forums dedicated to specific models such as this one, you will find an inordinate number of posters that come here to complain about problems. You won't find a large number of threads brimming with praise. I'm not knocking people coming to the web with their complaints, it's a great place to find solutions. There are people here that truly enjoy just helping out. But I don't think it's a place to glean empirical data. So, to the OP, if the Patriot suits your needs, don't be afraid of the platform, it's basically a reliable and economical vehicle.
I know this thread is a little older but what a fantastic post, and that has been my experience exactly. I'm on my third Jeep (a 2004 WJ) but didn't get turned onto Jeep forum until about then. After spending time on the WJ forum I was freaked out and thinking I'd made a mistake (previous Jeep was an XJ). Sure it's a Jeep not a Corolla but what you'll find on the net and even Jeep Forum is people either venting or trying to iron out problems.

One other thing I've noticed especially on the DubJay forum some people are reluctant to go to a mechanic when they are in over their heads, and you end up with convuluted threads that make the Jeep sound like a pile of junk, when a reputable mechanic woulda fixed it on the first try.

Not many "just checking in to let you know all is well" threads you know.

KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
dirtdad
1996 ZJ 

We currently own a 2013 Patriot, it is my wifes car, its 4wd with the CVT trans. It has about 3,000 miles on it, so we cant talk much about long term experience, but here is what I currently think. First of all, it replaced a 2001 Chevy Tahoe, with the 5.3 V8. In the household, we also have a 1995 Cherokee 4WD with the 4.0, had a 96 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 and 4WD, and have a 96 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 and all wheel drive. The Patriot was bought as an inexpensive all wheel drive car that gets decent gas mileage, for general run around town use, plus the ability to travel in snow without using chains. It was not bought for offroading, and neither were the other 2 jeeps, though the Cherokee has seen mild off road use. The Patriot gets between 17 and 25 mpg, depending on driving conditions, much better than either of the other jeeps. It is more comfortable than the Cherokee, not as plush as the Grand Cherokee, but more fun to drive around town, it also handles better with more precise cornering. The Patriots power is fine, not as good as either of the other jeeps, but better than the 96 grand cherokee with the 4.0 that we used to have. In terms of reliability of the CVT, I hope that after several years of having that trans, they have worked out the bugs (they continue to use that trans in the 4wd with low range). The new 6 speed automatic is new in this platform with no track record, new offerings usually have bugs to work out. The Patriot is offered in a few different trim levels, and I like our Latitude, and more importantly, so far, my wife absolutely loves her car, and has taken it on 3 trips of 400 to 500 miles each, with 3 passengers and their luggage. Is it as good as the XJ offroad? no, but its better at what we use it for. Is it as comfortable as our Grand Cherokee? no, but its close, gets much better mileage, and its easier to drive around town.
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
jeepgonefishing

We had a patriot 2wd. Great car. Never stuck. Worked great on trips with damily of four and a medium size dog. The only problem was the front suspension. Thankfully had purchased the extended warranty that replaced the same parts tgat were replaced under the manufacturer's warranty. The ball joints, arms, front axle. If it weren't for that undesirable front suspension the vehicle was a pleasure to own. Mayne wait for the new midsize Cherokee that is to be released
jeepgonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
Nubian1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
Chrysler/Jeep is rarely known for reliability I wouldn't take a chance on one with a CVT.
REALLY?????????
Jeep not reliable
Nubian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well the engine is designed by a Japanese company, and the CVT is the same out of a nissan, I am not very worried about reliability there, as long as I do my maintenance. The only common failure, as far as i'm aware, are the ball joints.
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
jacko15
2014 WK 

We've had no problems with the CVT in our Compass in 6 years.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #22
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have an "08" and other than front ball joints (has a RRO 2" lift) it's been a good vehicle. Oil & filter, tune up, brakes, and CVT fluid changes have been done and at 90,000 miles and one Jamboree in "09" it still is making the 90 mile round trip to work each day. It ain't no JK, TJ, or XJ but it's good for what it has been.
White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
fishgutz
2010 MK Patriot 

We replaced a 1999 Cherokee Sport with a 2010 Patriot FWD sport. 2.4L with CVT.
Love it. We have driven it from NC to MA several times. Handles the trip well. We consistently get higher than rated MPG too. Close to 30 highway on long trips and 25+ around town.
More driver and passenger leg room than the Cherokee. Comes in handy with a 6'4" son.
The patriot is deceptively roomy.
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.