I'm All kinds of happy ... better MPG with stock wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > I'm All kinds of happy ... better MPG with stock wheels

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

I'm All kinds of happy ... better MPG with stock wheels

Someone posted in one of my previous posts about how the stock wheels would be better on MPG than the 20" bling'd out shaky wheels I had. I was like, nah, can't be that noticeable. Well today I filled up for the second time after having the 17" wheels from the Patriot installed and the 20" wheels removed. I went from 22 MPG at best to 24.2 MPG. I actually drove a little faster on this tank too. So if I drive more conservative, I might even hit 25 or 26 MPG

So what is my point? Heck I don't know ... I'm just happy to be getting better gas mileage and wanted to share.

'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Bad tires can knock down your mpg and those didn't sound like they were very good with the vibration and all. Also too tall of a tire can bring your mpg down too. What size were those that you took off, do you 'member?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
tenspeed
2007 WK 

Two words --> unsprung weight

A 17" wheel and tire should weigh less than a 20" wheel and tire. It takes more power to move it and stop it. Your emergency stopping distance should be shorter.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Bad tires can knock down your mpg and those didn't sound like they were very good with the vibration and all. Also too tall of a tire can bring your mpg down too. What size were those that you took off, do you 'member?
I don't remember, I just know they were 20" wheels ... Now when I install the Cold Air Intake I should be sittin pretty on MPG
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Unread 03-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
steel5blue
2007 MK Compass 

Don't count on any mpg improvement with the K&N CAI. I've had mine in for a year or so (5-speed), but the improvement in acceleration easily makes it worth installing imho.

Rav-who? CR-what? Arizona-where?
2007 Compass Sport Steel-5speed-Blue 4X4
steel5blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
TJinWV
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at the pics in your other thread, the tires on the 20" wheels seem to be a bit wider than the stock tires. Going to the narrower tire helped your mileage as much as the lighter wheel. Of course it comes at a slight cost to handling, but it ain't no sports car...
Unread 03-28-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinWV View Post
Looking at the pics in your other thread, the tires on the 20" wheels seem to be a bit wider than the stock tires. Going to the narrower tire helped your mileage as much as the lighter wheel. Of course it comes at a slight cost to handling, but it ain't no sports car...
Yeah the other wheels/tires were wider, kinda made the Jeep drive weird over things in the road too. So I notice you are in WV ... I am originally from New Martinsville, WV ... moved out to CA when I joined the Army in 1987, My family still lives there. What a beautiful place .... I love it every time I come back. Plan to move back there someday, I really miss it. And plenty of places to go Jeepin

Unread 03-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_rector View Post
Someone posted in one of my previous posts about how the stock wheels would be better on MPG than the 20" bling'd out shaky wheels I had. I was like, nah, can't be that noticeable.
That was me- see I told you so Now if you are able to knock the average speed down closer to 60 mph I am sure you will go over 26 mpg

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #9
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjeepguy View Post
That was me- see I told you so Now if you are able to knock the average speed down closer to 60 mph I am sure you will go over 26 mpg
Workin' on about 65 .... trying to keep ahead of all the trucks, or at least not be their hood ornament.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.