I heard a suspension clunk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > I heard a suspension clunk

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 12-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

I heard a suspension clunk

So i have had the Compass for 4 months now and everything seemed to be OK until the other day. As i was turning into a driveway, the suspension in the front made a strange "clunk" noise. I really didn't think much of it until it started doing it on the road when i would go over some small bumps (I live in NY and the roads stink here....potholes everywhere, another story). The Jeep only has 7900 miles on it. Took it to the dealership.....bad sway bar linkage. Covered under warranty. Parts on order. I'm a little frustrated.

Anyone else hear a clunk?

2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

There has been a bad tie rod end in the posts too. Really seems that those problems are few and far between. I'm glad of that, but still, nobody wants theirs to be the problem.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
bart4man

Sway bar components on chrysler/dodge/jeep products have always been an issue. Whether it be the end links or the bushings. Have seen problems with less miles than you have.
Unread 12-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

OK, thanks...i feel a little better now. Wife had a pacifica last year that had bad tie rods at 20,000 miles....wish Chrysler could do better on these parts.
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

FYI....had the fronts replaced and had them check the rears too. Come to find out, the rear was loose too. They said there is a TSB on this and the rear sway bar linkage and bushings are now on order. I think the dealer just likes to see me.
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Unread 04-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
snikr

After 16 months and 12000 miles our Compass is going in for tie rod ends. The dealer was a bit surprised but I told him I "heard it here first" At least Jeep is paying for it.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #7
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

I dunno....call me crazy. I had these replaced (Front and rear) and i still hear the noise when i pull into a driveway or go over a small hump in the road. The dealership is telling me there is nothing wrong since all the parts that could be causing it have been replaced. Its definitely suspension related. Anyone have any other suggestions?
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Left, right, front, rear? Any place more than others? I really don't know of anything but that doesn't mean that I won't run in to something.

Unread 04-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

anyone have the tsb for this?
echocat22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I haven't seen one. http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/...light=bulletin

Unread 04-03-2008, 07:09 AM   #11
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

Definitely the front. Thanks.
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Unread 04-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
snikr

I got the left and right front outer tie rod ends replaced at my Jeep dealer. Not that I liked it but at least it didn't cost me anything. If this keeps up when our lease is done I'll get something else for sure.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
zjay

Just wanted to pass along something I've seen in the dealership I work in. We've had 3 Caliber/Compass clunks in the rear that were not sway bar links.

On the rear suspension there is what the catalog calls a 'link' that is like an upper control arm. It is between the rear 'knuckle' and the rear subframe. It is curved like a boomerang and flat.

I've checked for this with the suspension hanging, and pushing in (towards center of veh) very firmly on the top outside of the tire and releasing. Play can be felt as the top of the tire/wheel moves in and out. NOT MUCH play, either. If it IS loose, it only takes a little to make noise. I've only seen 3 of these, but it may turn out to be common, and isn't quite as obvious as other things might be.

I have not tried to feel the play in these with the suspension supported instead of hanging, it might be eisier to feel the play that way. I'll try that on the next one I find loose. It might have been calibers I saw this on, but the Compass has the same part.
zjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjay View Post
Just wanted to pass along something I've seen in the dealership I work in. We've had 3 Caliber/Compass clunks in the rear that were not sway bar links.

On the rear suspension there is what the catalog calls a 'link' that is like an upper control arm. It is between the rear 'knuckle' and the rear subframe. It is curved like a boomerang and flat.

I've checked for this with the suspension hanging, and pushing in (towards center of veh) very firmly on the top outside of the tire and releasing. Play can be felt as the top of the tire/wheel moves in and out. NOT MUCH play, either. If it IS loose, it only takes a little to make noise. I've only seen 3 of these, but it may turn out to be common, and isn't quite as obvious as other things might be.

I have not tried to feel the play in these with the suspension supported instead of hanging, it might be eisier to feel the play that way. I'll try that on the next one I find loose. It might have been calibers I saw this on, but the Compass has the same part.
Thanks! just want to double check to make sure we're talking about the same thing. We've referred to this as the upper control arm in previous threads. The first picture is the stock unit and in the second one the stock one on top and the RR replacement below. The final shot is the RR unit installed.
10-rear-control-armp.jpg   12-old-new-ca.jpg   13-ca-installed.jpg  

Unread 04-09-2008, 11:49 PM   #15
Urr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
The first picture is the stock unit and in the second one the stock one on top and the RR replacement below. The final shot is the RR unit installed.
Seems that the pictures are in reverse order?
In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.