JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   I can't find any Compass for MSRP (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/i-cant-find-any-compass-msrp-308363/)

llpistonsll 08-26-2006 10:26 PM

I can't find any Compass for MSRP

It says they start at like 15985 or something like that... I cant find one compass for under 22 grand around here, and I live in Detroit where all of them are made

Im kinda mad Im 16 and have been saving to get a New car for years and I though I could buy this but all of the dealers are being gay and putting up the price.
I can lease a 40 thousand dollar commander for 200 a month but why does a compass thats half the price cost 375 a month...??

what greedy jerks

Gramps 08-27-2006 05:58 AM

Go to
http://www.jeep.com/
and do an inventory search by your zip code. I took a look and you've got 6 pages of dealers in your area and I found several at about $18K on the first page. These aren't made in Detroit, they are built in Belvidere, IL. Good luck, most of what I saw were fully decked out.

You can lease for less because THEY still own it after you make all of your payments. You'll have a balloon payment at the end and you'll need to refinance if you want to keep it.

Kev M 08-27-2006 05:04 PM

Dude,

Take a chill pill.

Get someone to help you, walk into a dealer and put a deposit down on a base model and have them order it.

I've only gotten one quote so far, but it was for a couple of thousand UNDER MSRP. Yes, it was for one that has a lot more options, but if they order a standard model with no options they can certainly afford to sell it to you for MSRP and still make a pretty penny.

Kev

llpistonsll 08-27-2006 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grampsmopar
Go to
http://www.jeep.com/
and do an inventory search by your zip code. I took a look and you've got 6 pages of dealers in your area and I found several at about $18K on the first page. These aren't made in Detroit, they are built in Belvidere, IL. Good luck, most of what I saw were fully decked out.

You can lease for less because THEY still own it after you make all of your payments. You'll have a balloon payment at the end and you'll need to refinance if you want to keep it.

yeah i know that, but in todays paper, they advertised the compass and the commander to lease, why is the compass 375 a month ad the commander is 200?? That makes no sence, the compass is supposed to be a cheep jeep but anyone would take the commander first, especially if its 175 less :eek:
the chrysler dealers are all annoying as ****, they can never give you a straight out price on a car or a lease. For 2 months ive been loking in the paper and thy are all tiny size 4 font at the bottom...for get this im just gonna get a trailblazer because the advertised price is what you get.. or a used wrangler, but from this GM dealership by my house. \\Thans for the help though

Kev M 08-28-2006 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llpistonsll
yeah i know that, but in todays paper, they advertised the compass and the commander to lease, why is the compass 375 a month ad the commander is 200?? That makes no sence, the compass is supposed to be a cheep jeep but anyone would take the commander first, especially if its 175 less :eek:
the chrysler dealers are all annoying as ****, they can never give you a straight out price on a car or a lease. For 2 months ive been loking in the paper and thy are all tiny size 4 font at the bottom...for get this im just gonna get a trailblazer because the advertised price is what you get.. or a used wrangler, but from this GM dealership by my house. \\Thans for the help though

llpistons - you sound more than a bit green when it comes to the ways of car retailing. That's not a dig, we were all green at everything at one point or another.

Let me cover a little ground here.

First off, the concept of a lease means that you essentially rent use of a vehicle for a set amount of time and predetermined maximum number of miles (over which you pay a predetermined amount per mile).

The concept of a lease is that you only pay for the amount the vehicle depreciates during your use. In that way you can get a much smaller payment to use a given vehicle or afford a more expensive vehicle.

HOWEVER, and here's the interesting part, it really depends on the vehicle and how much value the manufacturer's finance company expects it to hold.

I daresay that DC's finance company probably expects a Commander to loose a smaller percentage of value over 3 years or so than a Compass. IF that is their mindset, that would explain why a Commander would lease for less money (because the asset you turn in at the end of the lease would still be worth so much). Also, considering the Compass is so new, the finance company has nothing to go on for potential value in 3 years, so they're going to assume rock bottom, meaning that the value will drop like a stone. And since lease payments are calculated using how much the value will drop, you'll pay more.

Of course, leasing is a sucker's bet unless you have lots of money to play with, are looking to change vehicles every 2-3 years AND are playing with much more high dollar vehicles (think Porsche, Mercedes, BMW etc).

As for newspaper advertising, READ THE FINE print. Those payment numbers are typically bullshyte anyway. More often than not they are calculated on base models (which, as you've noted can be hard to find), minus the best offers from the manufacturer, MINUS a couple of thousand in down-payment or trade etc.

Before you go looking to buy a car, learn to get a grip on the payments vs. the amount financed.

At today's interest rates every thousand dollars financed for 60 months equals about $20 dollars/month.

So every $5k = $100/month
$10k = $200/month
$15k = $300/month
$20k = $400/month

and so on.

Remember that's the total amount financed.

Let's say you had no money to go down, and you found one for a base MSRP of $15,985. Now there should be $500-1000 that can come off that price with negotiation, but let's say we accept it.

You still have to pay freight on it probably $500-600

plus title/tax/tags - anywhere from another $500-1000 depending on where you are.

So that's $16985-17585

or

about $340-350/month

Now when it comes to dealing with dealers and getting a "straight price" what are you asking them for? The payment or the out-the-door price.

Because you SHOULD be asking for an OTD price, with the full breakdown. You want to know what MSRP is, how much they're actually going to sell it to you for, what is title/tags gonna cost, how much freight (if they're charging it, that's negotiable), and how much tax is going to cost.

Double-check them on everything and watch out for BS document fees and advertising and other crap... all negotiable.

And the GM dealer is not going to be any different.

Oh, and a trailblazer is going to eat a HECK of a lot more gas than a Compass or Patriot.

Kev

JeepFreak91 08-28-2006 01:08 PM

around here you cant find one over 23k

UTB 08-28-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llpistonsll
<snip>" and I live in Detroit where all of them are made "<snip>

-
Good day llpistonsll. I do believe they are made in Belvidere, IL [not too far from the Chicago area]. They were probably designed and maybe, after a few test-mules were built, driven around the Detroit area for good measure.

llpistonsll 08-29-2006 05:33 AM

nevermind, when i went to the dealership to get a wrangler, i saw a compass. The guy said if i wait a month for them to come it i can get one for about 200 a month...

i am waiting unless i find any wranglers that are really nice for under 15 grand(there arent any on autotrader exept ones w/ 100000 miles

The time now is 03:50 PM.