I am more than just a little irked... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > I am more than just a little irked...

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 02-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

I am more than just a little irked...

Hey guys I am a little irked... in 2007 to small SUV's came out at approximately the same time. Both had a retro look. Shoot they both even have similar price tags. Can you guess them? Well duh one is the Patriot, the second is the FJ Cruiser. I saw an FJ today that had a sticker on its rear window for a website. I am very irked to say the least both trucks came out damn near the same time... both have IFS and ok so they have a Solid Rear axle. But damn I couldn't believe all the American after market companies that support the Toyota FJ Cruiser. It was sickening!!!

If I had the parts available for my Patriot that they have available for the FJ I'd be in Heaven!

So do you know why they have that support and we do not? I blame us the owners. Either we aren't requesting the parts or they aren't seeing enough of our trucks being modified.

What is your opinion?

a Scan Gauge II and a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653175]CarDomain[/url]
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I started trying to get the pieces available when the Compass came out knowing full well that they would fit the Patriot, except maybe the brush guard. No luck, still no lift kit until the Patriot actually appeared on the market. I have no answers for why the aftermarket folks would rather support Toyota than Jeep, but they do. "Irked"? I'm way past that, I'm in the mode of "I'll build my own if I have too"!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

Gramps I have been considering buying a welder myself... just not too sure where I could buy the steel to actually do the work with.
a Scan Gauge II and a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653175]CarDomain[/url]
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Do you have a Base Hobby Shop available? If so, then maybe someone there or from the Motor Pool could point you in the right direction for materials.

Unread 02-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
unclejjg

Are you really surprised that the FJ garnered more attention? You couldn't build the Patriot into a compatible vehicle even if it did get as many aftermarket toys.

I put the FJ one category away from the Patriot in terms of off-road capabilities (and I'd consider the Patriot on the low end of its category):

Category 1: Specialized Off-road Vehicle

Wrangler

Category 2: Vehicles that excel off-road
-at least on locker, clearance for large tires, 9" + ground clearance, lifts available, over 200 HP, etc

H3, Nissan Xterra, Fj Cruiser

Category 3: Vehicles with off-road capabilities
-advanced traction control, low range (of some sort), 7.5" - 9" of clearance, more articulation then soft-roaders, etc.

Jeep Liberty, Jeep Patriot, Grand Vitara

The Liberty is on the cusp here, but the fact is that it isn't as capable out of the box as the H3, Xterra, or FJ. It can be built to compete though. Perhaps it deserves its own Category.

The Patriot however, likely cannot be built to compete with the others. Its low range is not low enough, it engine is not powerful enough, there is no interest in developing a locker for it (I have emailed all the major manufacturers), and its fully independent suspension puts limits on articulation and lift.

Even things like boulder bars...how will its frame handle the extra weight? The Category 2 vehicles have no problem with such things.

It is no surprise to me that the Patriot doesn't have more support....but I wish it did, and I hope it will in the future.

As an aside, here is a practical (although admittedly not scientific) comparison:

1.) Go to youtube.
2.) Type in FJ Cruiser off-road
3.) Tally the results (approximately 360??)
4.) Watch the video and witness the difficulty of the terrain.

Then...

1.) Go to youtube.
2.) Type in Jeep Patriot off-road
3.) Tally the results (approximately 33)
4.) Watch the video and witness the difficulty of the terrain.

As an unofficial conclusion, I figure either there are less Patriot owners with video cameras, or the FJ is approximately 10x more likely to be used or discussed in conjunction with "off-road". Further, I conclude that after judging the terrain that both vehicles are being used on, the FJ is considered more capable or the owners are more willing to take risks with their vehicles.

Why wouldn't the aftermarket favor the vehicle that is more likely to garner buyers that plan to take it off-road, right?

EDIT: As it was brought to my attention on another forum.....I assumed this thread was concerned with off-road aftermarket support. My mistake if that is not true, and if so, take my arguments as an aside dealing specifically with that topic.

Last edited by unclejjg; 02-28-2008 at 01:29 PM..
unclejjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Category 3: Vehicles with off-road capabilities
-advanced traction control, low range (of some sort), 7.5" - 9" of clearance, more articulation then soft-roaders, etc.

Jeep Liberty, Jeep Patriot, Grand Vitara
yeah category 3 for sure.

while I too hope we get more 3rd party stuff, I really dont expect a lot for the MKs. I think there were built for one thing more than anything else: gas mileage. I havent looked the the mpg for the others but Ill bet the MK gets better.

when we bought our patriot we wanted: gas mileage, a 4x4 jeep, gas mileage, room and oh yeah did I mention gas mileage? if I wanted more off road performance and good after market support (and didnt care about MPG) we would of bought a grand.

the patriot is very good for what it is, a smallish fuel sipping 4x4 thats room has great on road manners for a 4x4 (handles on road better that any other 4x4 I know). and it can still do a decent amount of off roading. but I dont expect miracles from it.

but heres to hopping for more stuff anyway
Unread 02-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejjg View Post
Why wouldn't the aftermarket favor the vehicle that is more likely to garner buyers that plan to take it off-road, right?
Showing favor is one thing but except for RRO we've been totally neglected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejjg View Post
EDIT: As it was brought to my attention on another forum.....I assumed this thread was concerned with off-road aftermarket support. My mistake if that is not true, and if so, take my arguments as an aside dealing specifically with that topic.
My assumption, too. So we can both be wrong if that's the case.

I don't think that any of us are looking to compete with those class 2 or 3 vehicles that you've sited but I've always enjoyed taking a factory compromise and tweaking it to suit myself. If that means building my own stuff then so be it and that's just about what I've resigned to doing.

Unread 02-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Jeepster55

while i would like to see just as more 'Off Road' accessories for both MK's as the next guy, i think you have to look at the Toyota Highlander and even the Rav4. these are more in the same class as the Patriot and Compass, respectively, and i haven't seen a lot of 'Off Road' accessories for these either.

i think it's just that all of these vehicles are considered 'Soccer Mom Station Wagons' rather than 'Off Road' SUV's and honestly, i can't blame them. i don't think Jeep and Toyota had that market in mind when they added them to their lineups.......
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
unclejjg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Showing favor is one thing but except for RRO we've been totally neglected.

My assumption, too. So we can both be wrong if that's the case.

I don't think that any of us are looking to compete with those class 2 or 3 vehicles that you've sited but I've always enjoyed taking a factory compromise and tweaking it to suit myself. If that means building my own stuff then so be it and that's just about what I've resigned to doing.
I think the first step (an initial lift from RRO) was the biggest. These are still new vehicles, and I bet there will be more. Perhaps just not at a comparable volume to more specialized vehicles.

Personally, I'd love to see an ARB Brushbar for the MK's. I think that would look great. But, I'd like to see a lot of things that might not be feasible. I really like the concept of these vehicles, and I hope that they are improved upon both in future models and via the aftermarket.
unclejjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I've seen a brush guard on a Libby that I really liked, not a clue as to who makes this particular one. It was just a drive by that looked so perfectly fitting with the looks of the Libby. I need to find it and build one accordingly since the Compass and Libby front ends look so similar.

I got my Compass to be unique and building my own stuff for it will just make it more so. No problem with that. I guess that I have a problem with leaving anything stock for very long.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.