Hypermiling with a Jeep Compass/Patriot - Tips? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Hypermiling with a Jeep Compass/Patriot - Tips?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 02-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #16
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It is a matter of 'driver control'. Letting it free wheel going down hill is letting the weight of the vehicle control the speed. Also are you going to need more brake jobs because you didn't let the engine do the braking?

I don't try to hyper-mile anymore but I used too and never saw enough difference to have to work at it that hard but to each their own.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
It is a matter of 'driver control'. Letting it free wheel going down hill is letting the weight of the vehicle control the speed. Also are you going to need more brake jobs because you didn't let the engine do the braking?
True, there is less control while in neutral, but if your hand is resting on the shift lever and you can pop it into Drive in just a moment, is anything truly lost? It's true that braking in neutral is probably tougher on the brakes, but these are scenarios where I wouldn't be braking, anyway - long coasts and long down-hills, with no traffic light or stop sign anywhere nearby.

As I mentioned previously, my primary concern is with engine wear-and-tear. It's false economy to save a bit on gas if I burn the engine out and have to pay more than I saved on gas to get it fixed or replaced.
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

With this kind of stuff there are always trade offs that you have to judge on a personal level. I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong, if it works for you then it's a good thing.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #19
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Not to mention that constantly going in and out of drive/neutral is probably pretty hard on your transmission...
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
Afmcronnie
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you "blip" the throttle when deaccelerating it will unlock the torque converter, this greatly reduces the drag. I use this technique when I'm going 30 mph, or less, and a slight downhill or level road and coming up to a stop. On longer downhills, or coming off the highway onto a ramp, Ill let the fuel cut-off do it's thing. It really does save fuel, AND wear on the brakes. When I had my 2009 FDI, I would use the Autostick to keep the rpm's above 1500 as I slowed, extending the fuel cut-off as long as possible. It resumes normal flow below 1500. I use the cruise control as much as possible in my FDII, and keep the rpm between 2000 and 2500 when accelerating. In my FDI I had an avg MPG of just over 24, in my FDII I have 22.4. Thats at 9600 miles of 70/30 hwy/city in light to moderate hills. Not too shabby for an FDII. I agree that following a driver who is following a strict hypermiling routine is annoying, and DANGEROUS, in big city traffic. I can identify with their desire to wish to squeeze every mpg possible out of their ride, but PLEASE dont do it by putting the lives of myself and my family in jepordy. There is a time and a place for that, and lessons in driving technique that everyone can profit from, but doing it during rush hour on a crowded freeway, or in a place where it is difficult for another driver to pass safely, is IRRESPONSIBLE.
Afmcronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #21
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afmcronnie View Post
If you "blip" the throttle when deaccelerating it will unlock the torque converter, this greatly reduces the drag. I use this technique when I'm going 30 mph, or less, and a slight downhill or level road and coming up to a stop. On longer downhills, or coming off the highway onto a ramp, Ill let the fuel cut-off do it's thing. It really does save fuel, AND wear on the brakes. When I had my 2009 FDI, I would use the Autostick to keep the rpm's above 1500 as I slowed, extending the fuel cut-off as long as possible. It resumes normal flow below 1500.
Thanks for this advice, I'll consider implementing it. Now that the weather has become unseasonably warm (we're already hitting upper 70˚F's and lower 80's) it seems like it's coasting a bit easier, even in drive. The CVT also seems to behave a bit better - whereas accelerating along a patch of highway near my driveway would cause the engine to rev to the mid- and upper-2000's when the weather was around 40˚F or below, now it stays around 2000 even with the same acceleration. In both cases the engine is still "cold." The CVT seems to function much more nicely in warm weather (not that it's bad in cold weather, but the difference is surprising).
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.