How are your 18 inch Firestone's doing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > How are your 18 inch Firestone's doing?

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
wonderment

How are your 18 inch Firestone's doing?

I'd like to know how those who have the oem Firstone Firehawks experience has been with this tire. We have 22k on them and all four need replaced. They are cupped, stair stepped and the car sounds like it has four wheel bearings needing replaced, even with dealer noted rotations.

Dealer said the tires were bad, or bad compound, but they aren't warranted since they are OEM. At least my 18 inchers are not.

Wondered if this is happening to others.

wonderment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Just confirming that I have the same problems with mine. They have gotten noisy and makes it sound like wheel bearing problems, too. This from my other post.

Quote:
I'm needing new tires already! These Firestone Firehawk GTA-03 that come on the Limited (215/55R18) just don't get the tread life that I wanted. I really thought that they did OK threw the ice and snow last winter but I've got about 19.5 K on them and the the tread depth is down from the original 10/32" to 5/32". With the new information on "legal" tread depth of 2/32" vs the lost traction at 4/32 from this info at the TireRack, I only have about 3K miles left to go.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

this is BAD news for all of us then. My 18" Firestones are doing alright at 11k so far, I've rotated them at 6k as recommended and am going to do it at 12k as it suggests as well. Mine is FWD so that might make a difference with me.
Unread 08-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

wonderment is also FWD, so don't hold your breath. Mine didn't get noisy like this until the last 2K or so.

Unread 08-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
wonderment is also FWD, so don't hold your breath. Mine didn't get noisy like this until the last 2K or so.
You just HAD to go and burst my bubble didn't you??? Night guys, the bed calls...
Unread 08-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
wonderment

Thanks for the reply. I believe we have about 25k on the tires. Lots of tread on the tire, but somethings certainly wrong with them. Ordered new tires this am.

Our situation sounds like gramp's...the noise factor came on very quickly at a certain mileage and is worsening very, very quickly along with enough vibration to move the steering wheel.
Unread 08-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

wonderment,
What tires are you ordering and why?

Unread 08-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
wonderment

My wife and I ordered 235/50HR-18 Continental ContiProContact's from the Tirerack.

The exact size tire replacements did not enthuse me...did not want to replicate current issues with replacing Firestone's with Firestone's. So, I did a bit of research on the size change, and went with these. We have had good experience with the Conti's in the past on our Audi TT.

Wanted an all season tire, too...so that's what we picked...for better or worse. We're not tire experts, but do rely on what the tirerack says will work. We are 3 or 4 time purchasers from there. My wife and I each drive 1.5 hours to our jobs. In different directions. She heads north, I go south.
Unread 08-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
BuzzDog

It will be interesting to see if this wear issue also extends to the Firestone Affinity tires that are mounted to vehicles with 17-inch rims. I only have 10,700 miles on mine, so it's too soon for me to to tell if they're wearing any faster than usual.

As for the noise that is showing up as the Firehawks wear: My brother-in-law is an independent tire dealer, and I recall that when these tires came out there was quite a bit of hoopla over the fact that the tread is designed to reduce noise. When I bought a set as replacements for my Maxima, I wondered how this would work as the tread blocks wore down. This may be our answer...perhaps it doesn't work as the tread wears down?

Last edited by BuzzDog; 08-27-2007 at 06:04 PM..
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
wonderment

Buzzdog,

They "were" quiet when new. The car was very quiet and we commented and liked how quiet the vehicle was. I'm not exactly sure at what point that ended (my wife drives the car to work) but when I got in one day...wow...big, big change.

We just had our street paved with new black asphalt, and when driving 5-10mph the noise is extremely loud. I may put a SPL meter in the car to see what the reading is.
Unread 08-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
BuzzDog

Exactly. What I'm thinking is that as the tread blocks wear down, their shape changes...and there goes your "special tread pattern, scientifically designed to reduce tread noise" (my words in quotes, not Firestone's).
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #12
wonderment

An update on our Tire Saga. Bought the new replacement tires, Continental Contacts. Local Jeep Dealer balanced the tires. Next day, off to work on the highway and got all sorts of vibration. Now steering wheel vibrates too. Called dealer after getting to work. They said perhaps some weights flew off. I checked and two of the tires did not have any weight balancing weights on them. Hard to get back to jeep dealer, so I stopped in Indy at a Firestone dealer to have the two tires rebalanced.

Got called into the shop and they told me at least one of my new continentals were "not round." I saw the wheel moving up and down on the balancer. So, I figure I need at least one new replacement from the tire I just purchased.

Now getting really tired of all this mess, I decided to drive up to the Tire rack and have them fix all this mess. (3 hour trip)

They determine that the tires are not at fault or out of round...it is all four of the original RIMS that are out of round. So, I have their paperwork, Firestone's paperwork, the initial Jeep dealers paper work and have an appt on Wed eve to have them determine if Jeep will replace all four rims.

If it is indeed out of round rims, that may be the culprit in the Firestones wearing so quickly and strangely. I hope this ends it.
Unread 09-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My wear is even, no cupping, just faster than I would like and more noisy than when new. It is only a 30K tire so I'm not expecting any more than about 25K which they could probably go. I'll watch for the out of round when I go to get mine replaced.

It shouldn't make a difference but do you have the standard wheels or the chrome?

Unread 09-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
wonderment

We have the chrome rims.
Unread 09-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #15
wonderment

Thought I'd post a resolution to our issue....I took Jeep back to dealer, armed with paperwork from a variety of the places I went to including the Tirerack. Jeep service dept sent my concern to a different level of service within Jeep. All of my rims will be replaced by Jeep due to all being out of round.

They are being ordered today. I am assuming this will fix things.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.