How are the Patriots holding up? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > How are the Patriots holding up?

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #31
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgedak98
I bought my 2008 with 15,000 miles and it now almost has 40,000. All the doors are starting to rust and it will look horrible in another year or two. I can't believe it. I only drove it through 1 Minnesota winter (unsure about the previous owner.) In comparison I drove a 98 TJ through 7 winters and it had less rust when I sold it @ 170k.

Also had the ball joints fail at 30k. The CVT is horrible at highway speeds with cruise control off. Everything else has been fine.
That's interesting. Highway speeds are the ONLY time I find the CVT tolerable. (45-55 anyway)

FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #32
ODubhGhaill
2014 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
That's interesting. Highway speeds are the ONLY time I find the CVT tolerable. (45-55 anyway)
I am planning on a 2014 Lat FDII and would like to know your thoughts on why the CVT is generally intolerable for you (that is, other than highway speeds as above). Thanks in advance.
ODubhGhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #33
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Well at upper highway speeds...65-75, it runs at 2800-3200 rpm. Its like an old school automatic with no overdrive. At speeds below 25-30, it feels like it slips. It isn't a smooth fluid acceleration like it is supposed to be. I test drove another one and it was the same way.

It also drags when you let off the accelerator. Fanboys will say this is "engine breaking" but it's obnoxious. It won't coast like a normal car unless you shift to neutral or retap the accelerator after you let off.

And then, while slowing down, if you get back on the gas, there is a delay before it responds, then it jerks back into action. I dont know if this is the tranny or the electronic throttle body but it's super annoying as well. Also a delay as you let off the gas. You can feel it keep accelerating before the drag kicks in. They had a software flash to address this but the problem continues.
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #34
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I don't have those issues, except the fdii is like my 4speed auto in my other car. I wish it had one more taller gear, and it does drag if you let off the accelerator. Its an odd situation, having to press the gas while going down hill. It took me two weeks to get used to it, when I first bought it. And if its been a week or two since I last drove it, i might cause it to hiccup when decelerating. Its not my daily driver, but the "family car"

with all cvt's in my experience, you kinda have to be planning ahead a bit more, they don't like sudden acceleration / deceleration. If you roll on the gas pedal, you'll accelerate much faster than if you just mash the pedal.
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #35
wkbear
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Well at upper highway speeds...65-75, it runs at 2800-3200 rpm. Its like an old school automatic with no overdrive. At speeds below 25-30, it feels like it slips. It isn't a smooth fluid acceleration like it is supposed to be. I test drove another one and it was the same way.

It also drags when you let off the accelerator. Fanboys will say this is "engine breaking" but it's obnoxious. It won't coast like a normal car unless you shift to neutral or retap the accelerator after you let off.

And then, while slowing down, if you get back on the gas, there is a delay before it responds, then it jerks back into action. I dont know if this is the tranny or the electronic throttle body but it's super annoying as well. Also a delay as you let off the gas. You can feel it keep accelerating before the drag kicks in. They had a software flash to address this but the problem continues.
My wife's 2014 Sentra with CVT does the same thing you're talking about. I hate CVT's, but the wife can't drive a manual. Wishing I had got a Compass or Patriot for her instead. It does get about 30 mph though.

Sent from...wait, where am I?
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #36
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My Dads Maxima doesnt do all this. But this Jeep left a bad flavor in my mouth for CVTs, so no more.
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #37
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbear

My wife's 2014 Sentra with CVT does the same thing you're talking about. I hate CVT's, but the wife can't drive a manual. Wishing I had got a Compass or Patriot for her instead. It does get about 30 mph though.

Sent from...wait, where am I?
Yeah driving between my WK and My MK are two different experiences. I do feel what you guys are talking about... And 1st gear is a little agressive from a stop, lmao. But on weeks wherei get used to the MK and drive it everyday, I get pretty adjusted to it.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #38
dodgedak98
2008 MK Patriot 

Quote:
I meant 70 mph. Sometimes when I'm bored on a long drive, I turn off cruise and see if I can keep my speed within 5mph of 70 on a hilly highway. (It is very difficult.)

I put another 900 miles on it today and now my blower motor is making noise... and either the trans or brakes have an issue. Something feels off when braking from 50 to 0. I'm thinking about ordering a new 5-speed model... unsure if the 2nd gen models are any better than the originals.
dodgedak98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #39
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I dont give car companies more than one chance to impress me. So far the only one I've been impressed with is Pontiac and that's hardly an option now :-/
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #40
PC12driver
2013 MK Patriot 

I am having a hard time agreeing with the negative comments on CVT drivability here. A reasonable person would not expect a manual transmission vehicle to behave just like one with a conventional automatic. Why then, would one expect a CVT transmission which is clearly different in engineering from a "normal" automatic to behave the same as one? If one gets off of the gas in a manual tranny vehicle, one would experience much the same slowing effect as a CVT equipped vehicle. Personally, I consider this trait a good thing as it saves wear and tear on the brakes. To leave one's foot on the gas a little while "coasting" is so easy that I just do it now without thinking about it.
Further, I drive my CVT FD1 patriot on the highway a lot (in hilly Northern Arizona) and have no trouble maintaining speed... cruise on OR off. Like any other machine, it just needs a little attention paid to what and how your operating it until you get used to what is "normal" for that vehicle.

Robert
PC12driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #41
KLRJEEPER

When I had my 2010 patriot FDII, I found it great for most everything. I had it 10 months and put 79k on it in those 10 months. I ordered it in august, it arrived in sept. and i traded it in june on my wrangler unlimited. I traded it because I wanted a bit more room for cargo with the family aboard. plus I was drawn to the removable top of the wrangler. If I had my time back I would have traded my mazda 5 in on my wrangler and kept the patriot. Its a great vehicle, with way more capability than anything else in its class. It also is better built than the rest too. Close the door on honda or toyota product and it sounds like a tin can, close the door on a patriot, it is solid.

I keep directing people who are interested in a patriot to visit expiditions west website to see their test on the patriot. Any other cute ute would buckle under those conditions, but the pat kept trucking, and only required one winch over a rock ledge covered in 12" of snow. They even said if they had better tires that it would probably have made it!
KLRJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #42
jacko15
2014 WK 

Six years with our Compass CVT now, and we love it. Absolutely no driveability problems. It's different, that's for sure, but in hilly western PA we love the tranny braking action.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #43
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

I love my 5-speed manual. For those that know how to use them and drive, I feel that that they are far more reliable and fuel efficient.
I have 242,800mi on my Jeep Compass. Engine and transmission are fine. I have never replaced a transmission, clutch, or any thing related to drivetrain, except fluid.
I live in Central PA and have been making frequent trips to Pittsburgh. Last three tanks of gas I have not seen my fuel mileage average even drop below 30MPG according to EVIC.
I like the ability to hypermill or coast. If don't need to brake like on an a long gradual grade. I let the vehicle roll. I downshift with braking. or downshift descending a steep hill.
In 242,800mi I have replaced front brakes twice on the vehicle. I have only yet replaced the rear brakes once the entire life of the car. In summer weather I seldom will ever see less than 29MPG Average. I have averaged no less than 30 MPG last three take fuels. That included setting in parking lot trying to get out of traffic following a baseball game.

I have tried to buy a new Compass or Patriot with a manual transmission. I can only get it a base model with a manual. I'll pass and move on to another manufacturer.

I have no doubts. I can get 300k mi out of my vehicle!
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #44
NCSahara
2006 KJ Liberty 

I bought the wife a 14 Compass Lat. CVT to replace a 10 Mazda CX5 and its been great.Only complaint is the fuel tank is alittle small. She has a heavy foot and AC is always cranked and she is getting 22-23mpg.
NCSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #45
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSahara
I bought the wife a 14 Compass Lat. CVT to replace a 10 Mazda CX5 and its been great.Only complaint is the fuel tank is alittle small. She has a heavy foot and AC is always cranked and she is getting 22-23mpg.
Yeah the AC eats gas, lol.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.