How many remote keys for new Compass? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > How many remote keys for new Compass?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 02-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
aquaman67
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How many remote keys for new Compass?

I bought my daughter a 2011 Jeep Compass from Carmax. It came with one remote key and one non-remote key.

Is this what they come from the factory with?

My Honda (purchased new from the Dealer) came with TWO remote keys and one valet key.

So I'm just wondering if Carmax screwed me out of a remote key or is this all they come with?

Thanks.

aquaman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Is it a factory system and is the car actually new? If its used a lot of people getting rid of a car only pass on one key/remote so they can sell the other. Car max probably gave you what they had.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
aquaman67
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How could you sell a key? Wouldn't it only work on one car once it's cut? Or can you separate the cut part from the remote part and then sell the remote part?

I believe it's a factory system and want to know how many and what type keys it came with from the factory.
aquaman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

the electronics can be programed to a new car. I haven't had to buy a new key for the jeep, but when I had a saab at the dealer a cut key with no electronics $15, electronics $350 + programing. but you could buy the cut key from the dealer and electronics off ebay for $40. save yourself 310 bucks. New cars with the factory system come with 2 keys. you can probably take it to the dealer and just get a 2nd key. I know they are not all that expensive. or buy a used key off ebay, take the electronics out, buy a cut key from the dealer and get it programed.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

Should have 2 remote keys
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

it came from the factory with two keys. the previous owner probably lost one of their keys, it happens. i get this question a lot when i only have one key to give to a customer. we will give them what we are given. sometimes that is two keys, sometimes it's only one. you get what we get.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
it came from the factory with two keys. the previous owner probably lost one of their keys, it happens.
Yep.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.